1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

54 liter tryout

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by MarcelM, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Thank you as I am always saying Journals are a great learning curve for beginners to refer to.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

2. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Little update on some work i've done and things changed.. :)

Installed a backlight RGB ledstrip, give it i yellowish green light comming from above and fading down when getting deeper. And added some frosted white foil to the backpannel. I'm not quite satisfied with the white frosted foil, but couldn't find anything else yet, just normal glass foil from the walmart. Still thinking what would suite better, have to try and test some... But it already is a nice improvemnet.

Full tank shot.. :) Plants still need a few monhts..
    DSCF4475 (Kopie).

Changed some stones at the right side, placed the same kind of stone as left, green slate and there was a large big stone under the wood. this one i did hide behind some other piece of wood and some mosses with anubias...

before
    DSCN1954 (Kopie).

after
    DSCF4481 (Kopie).

:)

3. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    It's looking much better Marcel (y)

Kind regards
    Ev

4. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Ev.. :)

5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

You would never know what is under that piece of wood now.

Keep the trimming up and it will thicken up very quickly.

6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Jason and Keith.. :)

Indeed Keith, it fortunately doesn't look like a cover up at all. But i can tell you it was a few hours work to make it fit.
    I have some little difficulty to get the Potamogeton Gayi estableshing in the tree corner. It's well known for that, addapting slowly and fast growing once addapted. It's in there for 3 months now, not dying and not realy growing. Still waiting for it to kick in.

7. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith, it is easy to grow once it feels home.. I know from other forum this is an issue with this plant. As the article also points to
    Next to that i find this plant very sensitive to easy carbo and h2o2. A while back i had some clado nesting on the back of the driftwood next to this plant. With a water change i sprayed some h2o2 on the clado and some also landed on the gayi. Half of it melted away after that, but survived the ordeal.. It started to bounce back again and lately after i changed the light intensity i had some staghorn popping up. Did overdose some easy carbo. Staghorn hates it but the Gayi as well and i was back to square once again, melt kicked in from the easy carbo. :(. I hope to keep tings in control now so this plant finaly gets here time to adjust without being harrased again.. I see it slowly adjust again now and bounce back. It's hardy and very delicate at the same time and very easy to draw this plant back. :)

9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel its called the "Learning curve"

Greenfinger2, MarcelM and Jason King like this.
  10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Today i tested some back lightning. Was quite a challange to think of a way to mount a led strip to the back panel of an open top rimless tank.. But pulled it off with some brainfarts and a few small pieces of acrylic to create a not to obvious and nice looking hangon fixture. Here is a pick of the back panel. 1 strip warm white (dimmed) hanging at the top and an rgb strip laying on the table. :)

DSCF4574 (Kopie).JPG

The results are realy stunning and the possibilities rather to much to account for. Took a few pictures with some different color schemes. So the color comes from bellow and above is just a dimmed warm white.. In real life it looks alway different as on photo. Not yet managed to take a photo which represents how it realy looks. But still it looks on photo actualy even better.. To make it show on the photo it will look a bit to much in your face for real. So for real time dislay the lights need to be dimmed more to make it ambient.

With a touch of yellow o_O with a pinch of green :sick:
    DSCF4517 (Kopie).JPG

a touch of cyan :confused:
    DSCF4518 (Kopie).JPG

a touch of orange :barefoot:
    DSCF4525 (Kopie).JPG

a touch of purple rain :X3:
    DSCF4526 (Kopie).JPG

And a touch of crimson.. :mad:
    DSCF4533 (Kopie).JPG

I took many more, but i uploaded the nicest in my opinion. The most naturals are the blues, and yellows.
    What do you think?? I think :eek: :love::clap:

Attached Files:

#30 MarcelM, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  11. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

The best always appear to be the natural look.
    Saying that I like all of them but prefer the third "A tough of orange"

MarcelM likes this.
  12. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Great photos Marcel :)

I agree with Keith they all look great but for me a touch of orange is my favourite with a pinch of green coming close.

MarcelM likes this.
  13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    thanks Keith and Jason.. :) yes indeed the 1th and 3th are also my favorites.. i kinda tried to replicate the daylight cycle from morning honey dew to evening crimson showing in the backpanel.

With the lights connected to a multichannel programmable controler this could be arranged automaticaly and gradualy change from one color to another over the light periode... Actualy to make it realy complete there should be 2 rgb strips for the moon cycle during the night, with a pinch of bluegreen comming from above and dark blue from bellow. I'm still waiting to receive the order for the second rgb strip to test this.. I'll show you how it will look. :)

But for photography purpose the early morning color or early evening color is the best.. 2 and 3.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  14. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    Marcel, gorgeous tank. I love the variety of the plants and the composition is stunning. Congratulations?

MarcelM likes this.
  15. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    yes, yellow or orange Marcel - :clap:
    it suits also best to your fish.

MarcelM likes this.
  16. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
  17. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Ev, Rob and Keith.. :)

Keith, indeed the sunrise always goes from the yellowish honeydew in the morning and goes crimson in the evening. These are the most colorfull times of the day.
    I'm still waiting on the second RGB strip i'm planning to use. So i can create color from above and below at the same time. like an early touch of honeydew morning or crimson evening from above and a blueish light from the bottom in the evening or brownish in the morning up melting togheter in the middle on the backpanel. No idea how it would work out, but it sertainly will create more depht..

i also have to test it first with cheap preinstalled controlers with limeted color schemes, but if this already looks promesing i'll order a second programmable controler to automate it. Then the colorshemes can be much more fine tuned.

Actualy there are no real examples to find so easy, how light behaves like that under water in a clear shallow stream, what most of hour tanks resamble.. :)

I'll sure post some pics of the results when it's installed.. Realy curious what i can do with that.

Keith likes this.
  18. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Little update on the emersed part. :)

The tree of life..

Added a little Peperomia rotundifolia on top next to the P. Roso.. At the water surface semi submersed an anubias nana petit and in the mid section a little bog pimpernel.
    The moss is beautifully growing here spores now. And Lily on stage is waving a leaf above the surface in the stream. From this stage it takes her only maybe 3 more hours before it's flat on the surface. She does this amazingly fast and shows this once a week with a new leaf.
    DSCF4603.

And the emersed floating W-K on the left. :) A meddow of moss and UG slowly transitioning to a bunch of Lilaepsis Brasiliensis, some hairgrass, HC and monte carlo. Also an anubias, a pimpernel, staurogene repens not showing yet.. And a Rotala in trouble.
    DSCF4604 (Kopie).JPG

Greenfinger2, Keith and moss-maniac like this.
  19. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    Marcel, how frequently do you trim to allow space for each of your variety of plants? You certainly do a nice job.

20. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Rob, thank you.. :) I scissor my tank almost every day. Since there are so many plants in there. When i start left around the tank and by the time I'm at the right side can go again where i started left. :) Something like that.. I'm scrutinizing it almost every day and every day i find some i can cut. It's therapy.

Greenfinger2 and moss-maniac like this.