1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

54 liter tryout

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by MarcelM, Aug 26, 2015.

1. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    You have a real flair for this.

Greenfinger2 and MarcelM like this.
  2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Reduce it by scale and it should look very good.

Guess work and you could very easily end up with a very unbalanced aquascape.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith, what i did in this case is go with a standard size tank i still had in the garage.. :) went to the LFS and jump into the woodbox and searched for pieces in a reasonable form and size i thought i could use. The isseu is if you do not have a very big pile of hardware to choose from you have to do with what you got. I was on a tight budget, because it was just a tryout, the idea was just keep it cheap and simple and see where it end up and take with you what you learn for the next step.

In this case i learned during the building, what i should have done is layout the hardware and customize build the tank around it.. When the imaginary picture in your head which is already there, it's very difficult to find precisely fitting natural formed hardware pieces fitting in to a standard size tank if you go from scratch. it's impossible to find the excact pieces a size smaller.

I had a larger tank in mind, but in standard size the height would have spoiled it again.. Building a custom tank was a bit to far for me at this time, just starting again after such a long time. But that's what actualy should have done, if i look at my scape it only needed a 5 inches more at each side to get my picture compleet.

Thats the plan for the next scape, lay out the hardware and build the tank around it, it could be a matter of just inches where the standard sizes spoil the fun.. :)

My new goldfish tank will be home build to practice on the part of tank building.. The stand is almost finished, working at the wood tabletop at the moment and order the glass soon.

Steampunk, blank gasspipe and scaffolding fittings.. Let there be rust...
    DSCF4972 (Kopie).

Jason King and moss-maniac like this.
  4. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Steampunk! (y)
    I am looking forward to something rarely seen in aquaristic, Marcel!
    What about painting the silver parts in brass colour?

Kind regards Ev

Jason King and MarcelM like this.
  5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Now I am worried is that stand strong enough?

Fish for your Steampunk Aquarium.

rust___green_steampunk_fish.

6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Ev.. :) Is it? I just have a very old crooked brick floor in that room, it's hard to get anything level in there. Move it a cm and all is wobbling again. :( So i had to come up with something addjustable on the fly.. Those scaffolding fittings are perfect for that. Still can move it a little if it suits better and adjust again. I was thinking of the brass color, i wasn''t sure about that. Maybe i should play with photo shop.. And we can see how that will look.. :) There also is a deco paint to mimic rusty steel.

I choose the bland steel gass pipe because i like the look of old rusty steapunk style steel.. :) Roy had a nice term for it "Shabby Chice" :LOL: Love it..

Actualy it cant be much simpler and cheaper.. € 40,- fittings and € 20 old gass pipe cut on size. The wooden table top is for free nice old pallet wood. I gave it a teak finnish :). It's drying at the time.. There also will be a wooden shelf beneath.

Keith yes this is strong enough 1" gass pipe.. the fittings are bolted with Metric 10 mm alen bolts, pretty tight. If it is strong enough for a 20 feet scaffolding it will be strong anough for a 110 liter tank. It stands like a house rock solid.. Haha nice fish.. :) I will have some Hara Jerdoni in there for the jurasic feel.

Actualy i was thinking of an old fashion steel rim tank in Capt'n Nemo style decorated with round head rivets around. And title the scape "The Titanic" :p but that's a bit to much and to distracting. I'll keep the tank rimless. Only have to figur out some steampunk stile light fixture, thats some to think about in the comming cold winter nights. The first goal is the get the tank running before the freezing kick in. The fine tuning is for later.. I will be low tech, low light and will use mainly HOB filters as planted biofilters and a small DIY external with some coton and carbon.

Hardware will be black, those black/white marbled stones i have in the test tank.. As well as the substrate, Fuji sand topped with black sand and a black background.. This will make the goldfish realy pop. Found me a nice large lightgreen Java fern orange.. And got i realy nice anubias Yellow from Roy.. Now i need to get me some large Val and a suitable enchi.. I'm not sure if i plant a lily or a floating potamogeton, i have them both. i'll come back to that for advise from you guys.. :) I lay out the hardware when the stand is finished..

#66 MarcelM, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  7. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hmmm Ev!? Not a bad idea.. :)
    bronze-DSCF4972 (Kopie).

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

That stand reminds me of some of the DIY's I have seen on a USA forum made from heavy building construction materials, they would support a big heavy car.

Marcel
    All the weight would be at the base of each leg which is sitting on a tile which could easily crack.

Is there any way you can make up ???? so the weight is spread over the full size of the tank.
    eg one 20mm piece of a water proof plywood that could easily hidden as if it inside a Plinth base
    Marcel%20Pipe%20base%20%2022.10.15%20_edited-1.

Another one of my think tank sketches it could be made so that the lower horizontal pipes are seen and the shelf is under the pipes if its to be painted you could screw it all together from the outside this would mean building under the pipes and the base is hidden completely

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  9. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Good thinking Keith.. thanks. :)
    My consern is the floor dips down in that corner, if i scrub the floor al water stands in that corner. Thats why i wanted to keep it open and accessible, for cleaning purpose.
    If i close it, i realy have to close it, like pouring an inch concrete base or something. plywood and kit probably wont be watertight for long on a brick floor. But it's indeed something to think about. No option to have water accumulating under there, thats going to be a stincky mess.

As far as i know the floor is brick (terracota) tile 1" thick in cement. Did the hamer test. I hear no hollows under it sounds pretty solid.

The tank will be 90x35x35 cm 6mm thick, thats 100 liter + stand 15 kilo + tank 20 kilo= gross weight 135 kilo's... Not yet know the waight of the rocks.. In my smaller tank i did 25% hardware volume.

But say i stay +/- in a range of 135 kilo that will be 33 kilo per leg. Would that be a consern? Thats actualy why i choose for rather large diameter pipe..

#69 MarcelM, Oct 22, 2015
  10. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Wonderful Scape Healthy plants to :love::love: The emersed Growth is Exquisite :clap::clap::clap:

Love the back lighting Its a touch of orange for me It compliments everything :love::love::love:

With the stand Could you not use rubber feet like the ones you get for chairs or sofas to protect the carpet. It will give it a cushion on the tiles ???

#70 Greenfinger2, Oct 22, 2015
  11. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Roy Thanks.. :) That back lighting is realy crazy.. No im testing color from above and color from bellow.. These effects are totaly awsome.. Right now i have to do with preinstalled schemes.. But if i automate it with programmable controler i can go much smoother with the lights.. I'll think i'll go for it and order me a controler for christmass :cool:

See this sunset under water.. Only 5% toplight, the rest is backlight, lowest i can go now is 20%.. This is 30% blue from the deep and 30% orange from the sunset. So this is still a bit to bright..
    DSCF4991 (Kopie).JPG

30% from the deep 20% sunset orange. This can be slowly dimmed away and change into very soft deepblue moonlight. like a tough blue/green 5% from above and night blue 10% from bellow. Crazy effects.. Not for photo purpose but the tank becomes a stunning night time atraction this. :cool: No more TV.. :D
    DSCF4992 (Kopie).JPG

moss-maniac and Greenfinger2 like this.
  12. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel
    I had a similar thing in one of the Shower & Toilet rooms but the dip was only about 5mm.
    Main cause was the toilet leaking very slowly over many years behind the plaster

I wanted to do a bit of touch up painting easy only a few minutes job WRONG

Skirting board rotted, rip it off, low plaster rotted rip it off, then I saw the lot the bottom plate (sitting on concrete) rotted.

Over all this meant a big insurance job.
    To fix it Toilet had to be taken out but cemented to floor, new toilet, over 1mt up plaster out, studs and bottom plate all had to be replaced then all repainted again.

If your wall is solid this changes every thing it could be making up a platform to fit in the corner, seal the base to the floor and add a skirting and seal that as well.
    All this might have to be done if you want to stop the water flow to the corner no matter how careful you are there will be water spillage it it needs is just one.

More to think about.

13. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
  14. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Little update.. :cool: Actualy i became a proud father yesterday. :love: I guess you all don't want to mis this one.

The day i noticed..
    DSCF5122 (Kopie).JPG

Day 3
    DSCF5205 (Kopie).JPG

Day 4
    DSCF5206 (Kopie).JPG

Day 5
    DSCF5210 (Kopie).JPG

Day 6
    DSCF5234.

Day 8
    DSCF5267 (Kopie).JPG

:eek: Day 9 :love:
    DSCF5273 (Kopie).JPG

1 hour later :clap:
    DSCF5274 (Kopie).JPG

and 2 hours further
    DSCF5303 (Kopie).JPG

Smelling like an angel.. This is why they truly are the queen of all aquatic plants. Unfortunately it only lives a day or 5.. I have 3 more dys to enjoy and snif her in the morning.. :love:
    DSCF5300.

15. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Beautiful!

And congratulations! On the birth of your new baby :D she is a beauty.

The tanks looking great, this adds a nice touch, the color and smell..

MarcelM likes this.
  16. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thank you Jason.. :)

17. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
  18. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Ev.. :) The left and right corner still needs to mature.

I see what you mean but my rasen isn't far from that high.. But finely will i think.

moss-maniac likes this.
  19. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    What I meant, to show a spot of nature very clear in its details... (y)

20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Over the years I think I have seen practically every thing grown in aquariums but nothing like that.

In the tropics where they thrive the water can get very hot during the dry season what temp is your tank.