1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bees

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Paraguay, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I am sure someone will have knowledge here. My son and his girlfriend bought their first house last year. They been busy redecorating all winter they have very busy schedules with work so they only now are now turning attention to back garden It's quite long with laurel hedges spanning either side in front of the hedges all along a small plant tiny pink flowers. As we went in the garden he wanted my thoughts on a garden path we noticed literally no exaggeration thousands of bees bumble and a smaller species, we think and hope honey bees. It's a very rural setting and they have had a hedgehog visit Is there a hive somewhere or is the colony settled in the hedges? Never seen anything quite like it before

2. TimHarrison

TimHarrison Super Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Have you got pics ? I've seen something similar to this swarming behaviour before when I was a child, in my parents back garden. If they seem to be clustering around a queen then it could be as you say, a mass migration looking for a suitable location to set up a new hive. My mother used to keep bees and often bee keepers are called in to re-home them.

#2 TimHarrison, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Paraguay and Keith like this.
  3. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Can't believe we didn't take pics it was quite a thing to see them like Tim, will ask lad to send a photo over. Think the original location got disturbed and they followed the Queen? Yet there were bumble bees as well well outnumbered by the honey bees though

4. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    I have had a swarm in the garden many years ago I called a Beekeeper to remove them as we had two young children. If you contact a beekeeper they will explain what you can do.

Keith :cathug::cathug:

Paraguay likes this.
  5. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Tim and Keith, they contacted the local bee keepers society and a very nice chap said he would come along positively identify and vac the swarm up. The numbers have diminished but the expert reckons they will have huddled together because of the inclement weather to keep warm Same chap who advised myself on the bumble bees taking over our blue tits nest a few years ago

Keith and TimHarrison like this.
  6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Too many years ago when I was teaching at a rather large school with was situated not far from a very large park. We had to warn the students never leave a can of soft drink uncovered as the bees would often go into the can. No need to explain what would happen if a student had a bee in their mouth.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

7. TimHarrison

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Last summer my wife and I went to a gastropub for lunch. It was a lovely day so we sat outside. I took a bite from my sandwich and next thing I knew I got a severe electric shock type sensation on the inside of my check :eek: My reflex was to spit my food out and a wasp landed on my plate :mad: It hurt like a gooden for a while, luckily I'm not allergic to wasp stings so it didn't really swell up much.

8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Tim
    I hope the pub did not charge you for the meal.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

Paraguay likes this.
  9. TimHarrison

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately they did Keith, however, the wasp got in there after it was made.

Keith likes this.
  10. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Years ago a site I was on was nearly finished and the maintainence team were going round snagging the new homeowners snag lists, I remember one was what appeared to be a bit of old cement bag protruding from the brickwork high up the gable of a semi, a chap duely got the ladder up Stanley knife in hand to cut back the paper and repoint A quick exit was in order as he got near to discover it was in fact a wasps nesst and Rentokil were called out pronto! My wife reminds me when we went to a holiday camp three kids in tow the booking in was busy we were early so we had a drink after the journey at the camp pub next to the adventure park picnic area which was abandoned on a sunny day we soon discovered every table was taken over by wasps the humidity and leftover food the attraction Think you had a lucky escape Tim

TimHarrison likes this.
  11. TimHarrison

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I've also disturbed a hibernating hornet pottering around in my shed, early spring when it was very drowsy and potentially at it's most lethal. These animals are huge and alien, quite magnificent really.

Me too, dread to think what would have happened if it'd stung my throat on the way down...:confused:

12. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Wow Hornets! Can't remember were I first saw this Country file, Springwatch or possibly Gardeners World may have been Nick Bailey reporting about a non native hornet were a group can decimate and destroy a bee hive and even a wasp nest. Bit worrying as could cause havoc with the balance of nature

TimHarrison likes this.
  13. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Just a quick" what happened next" the expert came but most bees had gone just a few which could be a normal still bumblebees and fewer honeybees but no swarm so they obviously moved on, the hedge been trimmed, my son phoned after back from a week in Granada to update, I expect he will want my input on the garden again without distraction this time, going to try take a look at the plants see if threr are any bee attractors

TimHarrison and Keith like this.