1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackbird welcome back

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Paraguay, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Our family have had a week away in the North Yorks Moors (y)and then this week my wife was in hospital for a op:unsure:. On our return the Blackbirds ,nest in the same bushes near back garden every year were fledging and youngsters were all over the garden and the garage roof and one totally still on edge of the barrel pond.motionless The parents screaming warning sounds to the brood and it looks like they all transitioned to the big outside world sucessfully. A few days later and the parents are back nest building ,a great welcome home as the wife says:)

2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay
    On the bright side I hope your wife makes a speedy recovery

If they are the same Blackbirds that In Australia, the Common Blackbird is often viewed as a pest, but the early pioneers were determined to ensure that Blackbirds were successfully introduced into their adopted land. Blackbirds were released dozens of times throughout south-eastern Australia, mostly in the 1860s.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

[​IMG]

Paraguay likes this.
  3. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    The Blackbird in the UK is not viewed as a pest, I think its the recent poll it came out in the top five favourite British Birds and is a popular garden bird. Can only think the Australian one has perhaps attained certain behaviours because of the different envioroment? and maybe this as evolved over time,. I think after watching our own garden they are very intelligent and pretty sure they sort of recognise me and my wife:). The Blue tits nest in a box at front every year except a couple of years ago a lot of bumble bees took it over, I checked in early summer that year with the local bee experts who said they would be harmless and were all summer till autumn then just vacated the box We have Robins nest in the Ivy but nothing to note this year.Nice to see the Blackbirds are back with eggs for a second brood. Thanks for your kind thoughts for the wife Keith,pleased to say shes doing well on the road to recovery

moss-maniac and TimHarrison like this.
  4. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Been lovely to watch but because the Bush were the nest is is quite near the back door been watching the Blackbirds bring up three lots of young, never realised they would have that many all have fledged OK despite attention from some crows and next doors cat. The parents are unbelievably tame they were even landing next to the dog with beaks full of worms, the female has started going back in surely can't be another clutch of eggs on its way in middle of July.

Keith likes this.
  5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay

At the moment as the flowering gums are in full bloom we are feeding these every day using a wild bird seed

upload_2019-7-14_12-36-11.
    Rainbow Lorikeet

[​IMG]
    Crimson Lorikeet

Keith:cathug::cathug:

Paraguay likes this.
  6. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    That's quite something Keith to see such colourful birds in your own garden and vicinity Stunning

7. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay
    We live in a semi rural area about 75 klm from the city and plenty of native bushland around plus many locals plant native trees and shrubs which has its native foods.
    Keith :cathug::wabi-kusa:

Paraguay likes this.