1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloudy sky

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by aibcarpentry, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    That's the great thing about mobile phones we can quickly take a snap anywhere we're before we would miss them as carrying the camera was often a planned event

aibcarpentry and Keith like this.
  2. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Oh; I'm well aware I will never achieve perfection! ;) - I'd just like to create something which is interesting enough for me to look at. The pieces laid you refer to were just pieces I had fashioned for the wall to give me a rough idea what it looked like running into the corner, that was all. They are far too square and regular - then again my wall is too! :sneaky:
    My thoughts at the minute are running towards using thicker pieces to create a path and if I look at the slate there are pieces where there are naturally raised parts which with a bit of time and patience I can cut around then fashion to look more natural and something like in the path we've been looking at.
    I plan to try a small sample and see how it looks: probably using some sand between the gaps and ensuring they aren't too regular in size, layout or shape and also the path doesn't have a straight edging to it which I don't think will be easy for my brain! o_O
    W0558.
    The way this would be printed I think will still allow for a backlight but I need to try and remember the pipes I have running up the back of the aquarium and how they will shadow things which is the whole reason for a photo over haze in the first place. The idea of keeping the dark clouds may hide the pipes yet still allow for the backlight - wishful thinking I'm sure but we will see and if it looks naff then I can just change/remove it easily enough.

Paraguay likes this.
  3. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Ah - I forgot to reply to this bit!
    So yes, I'm thinking thicker as detailed above and this should help keep the path visible and not completely hidden by the carpet either side..
    I'm already using aquarium safe silicone for everything else so that's my plan.
    I had thought laying them onto a base would make things easier to model and plan, even if it was just for starters and the base was not used.
    I think it will be a very much learn as you go project.

4. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    So I've been having a little play with paper today and after looking over Evelyns / @moss-maniac suggested path route here is where I have got to.
    I looked at routing the path elsewhere but I liked the idea of the path hugging the slope then opening out a bit.
    The thing I didn't like the look of with Evelyns idea was how narrow the path got at the back and the perspective of the path to the wall the way I have it not really changing in size..
    Trying to put some perspective into the path naturally and consistently narrowing is something I know I need to play with.
    I'm quite happy with the left hand side of the path although it could still do with a little tuck in at the back for starters but do think I need to sort the right hand out a little (lot) still.
    After looking at things again I think the path would be quite flat and just follow the gradient towards the back although I am looking to put a step or two in to add some interest.

Going back to construction I need to have a play but I do like the idea of having it fixed to a solid backing to make it easier to construct out of the aquarium.

evelyn. 2. 2trim.

5. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Yes, fix the way on something, solid - f.e. stone, plastic, acrylglass, Andrew.

I would split it in some parts and put it together in the tank -
    in this way you can arrange it later (when the plants change their appearance) more perfect again, if necessary.

A tank is always a living picture with its own ideas how it wants to grow and look like (like a garden, too) ;)
    The art is to combine its ideas and your ideas together for a longer time to make it look best.
    It is a continually change ... nothing statically.

#65 moss-maniac, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Paraguay, aibcarpentry and Keith like this.
  6. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    So; here's where I'm upto at the minute............

I have:
    - Finished the main part of the wall (but am yet to add the fallen stone detail)
    - Fixed a piece of vinyl with some 'interesting looking' clouds to the back of the aquarium, opinions?

I still need to add in:
    - More substrate to finalise layout
    - Pathway, at the moment I'm looking towards some Dennerle Plantahunter Natural Gravel Baikal in both sizes with a layer stuck to some plastic then add extra to the top once in situ.
    - Larger pieces of slate to the slopes
    - Fallen stone details from the wall in the two locations.
    - PLANTS!!!

Paraguay, moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  7. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
  8. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

Looks like you are well on the way now. That cloud formation is very dramatic well done.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

9. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I'm just deliberating over the best way to build the path now.
    Selected Dennerle Baikal gravel as it matches the other slate I have already; too much slate? - we will see.

Previous idea was sticking it to plastic as a base at least but I'm rethinking this idea and wondering whether making a channel in the soil would suffice or not, any views?
    I started at the front as this was the plan even if I use slate and am now pondering. o_O I will never keep the soil 100% separate or in a straight line so do I opt to have the joint at an angle or upright?
    It's upright at the moment just to see.

Also thinking what to do about keeping the carpet separate from the path and have come up with the idea of using a piece of flexible plastic in the shape of the path which I can cut along when it needs it.

The dimensions/taper of the path have been adjusted towards the back on the right hand side but I haven't took a picture of the new version.

20190612_142811.

Keith likes this.
  10. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Sounds good Andrew,

I would use several parts of plastic in order to form the path.
    In this way it is easier to handle in general - and to change if necessary, I think.

And I can imagine it looks much more natural if the carpet is hanging or growing particularly a bit over the way too - like it does in the nature as well.
    This carpet has to be cut anyway very often - you will find out fast by trial and error how much will look best.

Paraguay and Keith like this.
  11. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

This is what I would have suggested. Make several pathways first to see what looks the best. My only advice would be try to make it look very natural

Excellent advice from Evelyn.

moss-maniac likes this.
  12. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I had a go at this yesterday and tried it with silicone/plastic; planning just to add a topping layer afterwards but it was just so messy and didn't really help me that much so I've just made a channel and added some gravel.
    Hopefully with it slightly raised it will not disappear into the carpet and I can use a plastic guide as a template when it's time to trim - you know it will overgrow the path.
    I assume you meant wall (not way?) maybe not?
    I've some different sized pieces to add into the path along with some larger pieces of slate to add into the slopes if/as/when I choose.

This is how things are standing right now:
    -I still need to create the 'fallen rubble' to go in front of the wall
    -Decide if I'm happy with the shape of the path - any suggestions?
    -You may see why I chose this graphic from the backlight, hopefully it will allow me to add the pipes coming up the back right and not be seen or shadowed so much - maybe! I do also need to try out a longer backlight to see which suits.

20190613_211217 (2). 20190613_211329 (2). 20190613_211108 (2).

Paraguay and Keith like this.
  13. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

The pathway is looking good, my only concern is the wall it looks too good but that should change when you roughen it up and add the fallen rubble.

14. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    hello Keith
    I accept what you say about the wall and I think it is about as good as it's going to get. When sat down you cannot notice the quite uniform stretcher like brick bond arrangement and in this case the photos seem to highlight this.
    What the photos don't show is I have already moved some of the main stones around the capping damage - but I have!
    Roughening it up is something I've been pondering over; with the 2 spots going to have rubble in front of them and the little bit of damage to the capping stones I wonder if this is enough.

Thinking about planting has brought me the following conclusion so far:
    micranthemum monte carlo - left hand section section
    hemianthus callitrichoides cuba hc - middle section
    marsilea crenata - right hand behind wall
    marsilea hirsuta -right hand behind wall
    Ammania sp. Bonsai - Rotala indica (unsure if it is true Rotala bonsai available which is something I heard a while back) - clumps here and there; by fallen rubble, along the path etc

I will probably plant this lot, see how it looks and add in some Eleocharis and other plants of interest when I see how it looks.
    Any ideas about the above and future planting?

Andrew

15. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

[​IMG]

This is what nature has done over many years its falling down every where. This would be too much for what you want and have done with the pathway.

Underneath the fallen branch knock out your biggest section (something like the front RH of the photo above) and you can randomly pile them up. Make a very small section out of the tank smash it and add the branch to see what looks best. You can make a few and post the photo if this will help you.

Use an odd number of places to age it 1-3-5 etc design wise it looks better than even numbers 2-4-6 scattering the stones is not going to be easy as they could easily be covered with your plants, you might have to have small piles with a small plant growing in the rubble or growing over the rubble as an added interest.

Re your plants when ready I will get Tim to assist you. Are you going high or low tech?

16. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    @Keith the photo is not showing my end.

[​IMG]

Can you see it now?

I was watching a film from a Scandinavian country and there was a very long wall like this one in the distance

17. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
  18. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew
    Re plants and locations.
    I would start a new post in "Aquarium Plants" asking about your plant list and locations or more suitable plants and location. You must state High or Low Tech. the lighting what you have and the recommended on off hrs.

To save you a lot of unnecessary work cut out pieces of plain paper with a clear large number on each piece to the exact area for each plant. Just make sure you number each plant eg.

1 micranthemum monte carlo
    2 hemianthus callitrichoides cuba hc
    3 marsilea crenata
    4 marsilea hirsuta
    5 Ammania sp. Bonsai - Rotala indica (unsure if it is true Rotala bonsai)
    clumps here and there; by fallen rubble, along the path etc

19. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    @Keith must be my browser as I tried another and it shows there; strange, all of your others were not broken links.

20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

You can always use the old Dr Google its great when looking for something I use it all the time.