1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloudy sky

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by aibcarpentry, Dec 1, 2018.

1. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    what for Keith?

2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew
    @Keith must be my browser as I tried another and it shows there; strange, all of your others were not broken links.

I was referring your reply.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

aibcarpentry likes this.
  3. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I never answered this............
    Yes, my wall is too complete/uniform to do this now but maybe another time, see how this turns out planted first.
    Also the odd numbers 'rule' is one I'm breaking, again we will see how much of a success/failure I think this is.
    I'm going to let the main MC/HC carpet grow in first, see how it looks then along with adding the other plants look to make the rubble piles.
    Looking at things as they stand now I'm quite sure the wall is too low (listened to the wrong advice elsewhere!) so the rubble piles might not even happen quite like I had pictured.
    I've just plonked a couple of extra smaller pieces of slate in the back left which I need to change/adjust/add/take away but think this will probably happen again when the main carpet is filled in - oh and I can get outside to look through things when it's stopped raining.

Oh, also; I've added some plants! - No photography skill or effort but just to show some progress.

20190620_143016. 20190620_143025.

Paraguay and TimHarrison like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

At the moment with a very low carpet it looks perfect scale wise. When the planted it will look completely different.

In one of the wall photos I posted they used large rocks to make the 7-8 courses in the wall. Trying to recreate that would be very difficult you would have to use a thicker slate then the fun would start getting it perfect and having a focal vanishing point.

One extremely important point is you have learnt a lot about designing an Aquascape and this is a great confidence builder for you plus who not to listen to.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

aibcarpentry and moss-maniac like this.
  5. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I know I've ignored much of what you said but I don't include you in the people not to listen to - just realities of what's realistic for me.

4 weeks down the road and here is how things look.
    I'd expected the MC to grow in a bit quicker but aside from the first week or so I've not done as many water changes as I'd like or get on top of ferts.
    I just haven't had the energy which has left me wondering if I've taken the right project on; maybe a low tech with some gravel is more what I should be doing and left me thinking before I add any livestock.

20190717_090053.

Paraguay, Keith and moss-maniac like this.
  6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Hello Andrew

I can honestly say it has turned out a lot better than I could have imagined its a credit to you. The the most important thing about that Aquascape is you have learnt a lot. I think you will now realize the simpler it looks the harder it becomes to get it perfect.
    I have only one comment the little twiggy piece on the pathway has become the main eye attractant where as when under the tree it became part of that area of interest.

Now for the live stock as your main colour is green I would choose a strong red Shrimp and a big school of green tetras.
    Remember the inhabitants do not have any over head cover and this might stress them out a little.

Keith:cathug::wabi-kusa:

aibcarpentry likes this.
  7. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    thanks Keith, I will never have an artistic brain which makes these things so much harder in my opinion.
    I sometimes now just wish I had left the wall and path out but it's too late now!
    When the MC has grown in fully I can look to add some other plants amongst the mix and probably some stone back in too.
    Ah; that's just resting there until the MC has grown in then can be moved back to where is was on the wall.
    Red shrimp are on the list straight away.
    Green tetra are not on my list of favourite fish and I understand I've limited choice with the open plan layout - I guess if a fish is happy in an iwagumi then it would be in here, that said what fish are happy in an iwagumi?! (not so sure any are really in my opinion)

Keith likes this.
  8. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    The aquascape looks great, set aside a bit of weekly maintenance and it will mature well, my own thing on fish is very small tetras or rasboras and a small number

Keith and aibcarpentry like this.
  9. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    There's a lot more carpet trimming than I quite imagined! o_O
    Leaves me wondering if I've done the right thing, I got rid of the 600 to make things easier for me whilst keeping the 900 to enjoy (eventually)
    Someone else said to me it's a bit deceiving that it's a 900 aquarium given the size of the wood and concerns me that a small number of fish will be lost - I can always add more.

Keith likes this.
  10. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Yeh that true about small numbers of fish getting somewhat lost and not keeping together as to look best. I know George Farmer did one if I recall with Black Neons but a small group and maybe the open space kept them together. Glowlightsseem to keep together

Keith likes this.
  11. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I had fish on the list but unsure it's the correct layout for some now so will have a think over things. ;)
    There still could be a complete change before inhabitants are in, getting my thinking head on. :sneaky:o_O

12. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew
    That would be the average very boring tank not even worth looking at. Now you have created an Aquascape worth looking at its full of interest all it requires now is movement and a little colour which shrimps would do plus they would help in keeping the plants very clean.

Keith:cathug::wabi-kusa:

aibcarpentry likes this.