1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloudy sky

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by aibcarpentry, Dec 1, 2018.

1. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Don't be too hard to yourself Andrew,

a good scape needs both: your own intention but also making the best out of serendipity - and anyway it needs time to develope - it is the same with gardening outside.

Good luck for the new tank! (y)

aibcarpentry and Keith like this.
  2. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Evelyn
    I think the next one will be quite barren plant wise if it happens anything like what I have in my head and be mainly Anubias and Bucephelandra.

Looking to hopefully avoid soil; stick to sand and stone. I bought a load of Frodo stone blind (silly I know) as I'm unable to get places too easily from the guy who supplies the UK at a good price - some really nice pieces in there and a few included not so good to build/prop with in mind.
    Some's a little thicker than I had wanted and considering taking an angle grinder to it and making pieces fit together too, I can hear @Keith now - NO DON'T DO IT! The problem is if I just smash it up then it will break the wrong way and just stay tall and slim instead of short and fat. Open to suggestions.

20190914_140522. 20190830_135340.

3. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

I have split massive rocks plenty of times when I was digging the foundations for my garage too many years ago. It can be done easily using wedges if you follow the grain (for a better word) looking at those rocks the grains are all over the place and could easily finish up a pile of small rocks. Cutting ???? unless I had the rock in my hand it's hard to what would happen even when cutting it could break off anywhere off the cutting line.

All of those rocks have plenty of character you will have 100s of choices to select from.

If you are going to use a sand I would keep it all natural and have the sand the same colour. The other option is a 1-3mm river gravel the same colourings from a garden suppliers as it will be far cheaper than any LFS.

Keith:cathug::wabi-kusa:

moss-maniac likes this.
  4. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Splitting these are out of the question simply due to what they are and how the 'grains' run. there are solid pieces below the 'rubbled' surface which I'm sure I'd be able to cut and leave the rubbled surface to look at. I think mainly it would be taking a corner or side cut off so I can leave a textured appearance on the sides and join stones without such a big void.
    I need to try one first but if it does work then could be my solution.

I've had some samples of sands/fine gravels which are meant to be along the same colour palette but just clash, something looking like ADA La Plata or Colorado looked good from what I've seen mixed in with a few fine gravels.

moss-maniac likes this.
  5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

All you can do is try.

Keith

aibcarpentry likes this.
  6. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Good luck and use protection glasses, Andrew (y)

Keith likes this.
  7. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I'm well trained in safety specs!

Paraguay, moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  8. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Really nice stones Andrew . Take it your ok with doing it yourself if not try a local tradesman. A diamond blade is what is used these days should cut through like butter!

9. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I'm quite confident doing this kind of thing, well the cutting anyway. I was a carpenter by trade but of course my skills led elsewhere when I had a building company myself and also when rising through the ranks with various tasks put to me and great people to show the way.
    I don't think I've ever really known anything but a diamond blade but these stones are tough so will just require some patience. Very much the wrong time of year for wanting to start this in the UK as you know!
    It's the layout I will struggle with but I'm almost hoping by cutting the stone I will find it easier personally, we will see.

Paraguay likes this.
  10. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

Have fun I never cut stones or bricks I always split them.

Keith:cathug::wabi-kusa:

11. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    not an option with these as I want to keep the textured tops so splitting them would go the opposite way to what I want.

12. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

As long as you have a way that works for you.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

13. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    So I'm moving on from 'cloudy sky' now, I finally had chance to take an hour in a mock tank outside earlier. I've around 120kg of Frodo stone but all of the interesting pieces are big to start as I said before but I'm wondering quite the direction to go. I'm not an artistic person but still, I'm having a go and this is where the first hour led me - these 3 stones, a little in the middle maybe at the very least but then the gap where the 3 joined led me to wonder what it would look like with the Manzanita tree in there. I'm not saying it's what I want and there's certainly more to add but here we go. I only intend to have a stone/sand aquarium which will be viewed from the front/left direction, this sand is only for mock tank purposes and will not be what's used.
    Any honest opinions, suggestions welcome as there's not so many examples I've liked which involves sand/stone only or even ones which just exclude soil, yet maintain minimal sand which is the look I'm after. Ignore the stone propping the largest stone up!

20191120_143606. 20191120_143612. 20191120_144603. 20191120_144607. 20191120_144613. 20191120_144938. 20191120_144950.

moss-maniac and Paraguay like this.
  14. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    I like it Andrew, no plants at all? (n)

15. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    It's just a start although I'm unsure it's the direction I want to take. Rethinking including wood as I want it to last so sand/stone is probably the most sensible idea. I'd just put the 3 stones in to look at proportion really. I've some layouts I like but can't put them up as I don't have permission although if you checkout Adam Paszczela from ADA Polska (Poland) he's some really nice examples and seems to have the art with stone. There's also Aquaman design studio using 'ancient stone' who are again Polish and have a few good examples but also some I'm not at all keen on. I'll have to find some links.

Planting is a definite, just no soil type substrate or depth to the sand so looking to plants that are easy to maintain so Anubias and Bucephalandra stand out.
    Sorry but I think Moss might prove too much work for what I'd like. :unsure:(n):whistle:

16. Chris521957

Chris521957 Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I like the hardscape. Followed the cloudy sky journal on ukaps and thought it was a good idea, well thought out and well executed.

17. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I think it could have been better and in action a lot sooner and I would of enjoyed it for some time at least. I learnt to be careful what you listen to and sometimes your own ideas and visions are the ones you like so go with them; don't be led astray as it's your aquarium that you need to enjoy the look of. Ask for peoples opinions by all means but just be careful what you do with this advice or opinion. I had a vision of a tree in the middle with a couple of slopes either side which would have all been 'meadow' and I ended up putting a wall and path in which I didn't like - if only I stuck to my view and adding things once the meadow was established. It turns out the meadow was a bit much work for me due to health and I also wanted to change how my filtration works by including it on my aquarium so that's led me this way.

I'm not so sure about the rocks I put together in the pictures above which is the idea of the mock tank and also including the tree leaves me unsure how long it will last and therefore the hardscape. My idea this time around is to simply have a sand/stone aquarium with a few plants, we will see how it turns out.

I'm always open to listening to suggestions though. ;)

moss-maniac likes this.
  18. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Yes Andrew,
    Adam Paszczela's works are gorgeous, so naturally (y)

I like your 3 rocks like they are.

Keith and aibcarpentry like this.