Discussion in 'Emersed Journals' started by Jason King, Dec 30, 2014.
This afternoon I decided to make something for my moss collection, I know that hygrolon works well for moss so here you go
I made 20 x 100mm x 100mm squares from some old leftover acrylic I had in the garage.
I then cut 20 x hygrolon pieces the same size
I drilled a hole into all the acrylic to allow me to add zip tie later on.
Then I glued the hygrolon to the acrylic using aquarium silicone and zip tied a plant label using the hole i drilled earlier.
The finished item
I could of used wire mesh but I wanted to use what I already had available costing me just time
This will allow me to keep them more organised simular to the pots for the plants.
I hope the idea works, i cant see why not? range:
Well done and a great confidence builder it worked first go.
What is the next step?
Next step is to fit the pump and run the completed system without any plants for a week to test temps and humidity then start adding my plants slowly.
I currently have over 20 stems and rosettes plus a handful of mosses.
Once I'm happy my next plan is to expand my moss and anubias collection.
one of the main reasons for this setup apart from its automation is for me to get the plants to flower, as you know most but not all will not flower when submersed.
Today I ordered the lighting, I'm hoping to get away with one t5ho strip per shelf except for one will have two due to 2x twin controllers Arcadia plant pro tubes and reflectors, I may order another twin at a later date if it's needed.
I've also been making my labels starting with the moss
And some more for the plants
That is a list and a half you are going to have your work cut out looking after all of those plants.
It is but this is the idea of my semi automatic? setup.
These are the plants I currently already have and I estimate it's only 4 of the 11+ Rubs
I've also order a hydro substrate to go with aqua soil it's a 50/50 mix of clay balls and rockwool.
So depending on the plant type I will use different substrates.
That sounds like a Hydroponic mix.
Are you going to have a power back as well?
Is the room/area heated?
Yes it is, is sterile and clean, good for air circulation on the roots and good for plants like anubias etc.
I willll add root tabs / ferts that are needed.
room is not heated but I'm heating the sump with two heaters so the humidity from the heated water is fine. I tested this already.
Does that mean good ventilation and insulation?
Yes on both I currently have a temp of 22 in the rubs that can be raised by upping the heaters and a air temp of 16 but outside the garage the temp is 0-5 degrees.
If you were in our state you would have the reverse problem some locations 43c tomorrow and could get hotter a few days later .
We are expecting early to mid 30c for the next few days.
Maybe 2 days if that will be over 30 here. I will need fans lol
Today I plan on putting some plans into one of the rubs as a test and make any pre adjustments.
On Monday I will be getting the return pump fitted then the setup is ready to go
So far so good with the plant test, all look fine and it seem s the mosses are standing up aswell now they are on the hygrolon squares I made.
This morning I fitted the filter and the return pump so the system is complete
I will be running the system test later today once I've got a plug for the pump as it came without one
In the meantime I've put the heaters into the sump to warm the sump water to about 24 degrees? Before I run the water around the system.
As a point of interest.
The sump is 24c do you know the returning water temp?
Keith I did wonder the same thing and until I turn the pump on this morning I may have to adjust this. Most plants are fine in temps from 18-28 if I get a return of 22ish I'm happy, but will find out today.
I was going to test last night but more important? Things came up ;D
My only other concern is that the pump will fill the first rub to fast. Due to the highest rub distance I needed this pump 3m pumping height as any others only went to 1.8m.
If this is the case I will need to install a ball valve after the pump to reduce the flow.
I did have the option to buy a adjustable pump but it was either Â£40 or Â£140 and to add a valve costs Â£5 .
Still I may be worrying for nothing today I will find out.
No leaks and everything is working
However as I mentioned the flow was to fast, a lot faster than i expected so this needs adjusting.
Today I need to buy a valve to adjust this as I only want a slow trickle from rub to rub allowing water circulation and air into the water.