1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipments and tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping General Discussion' started by Grouchzzz, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, new to aquascaping. Want to know which is better

Tank size
    60cm (approx 60l) or 90cm long tank ( approx 160l)
    Once the tank is setup and the tank is balanced, does the bigger tank less susceptible to changes due to larger volume of water, or, it doesn't really matter.

Feel free to recommend a modern , clean , minimalistic tank.

Filter
    Going for an external filter. Probably an eheim. Will decide once I have chosen the tank.

Heater
    Inline hydor heater. Don't want to overcrowd the tank.

Co2 or not?
    My initial intention is to start with low tech tank. Do not know how easy is it to get co2 or how expensive is it to run it. Is this advisable? Or should I just get it setup properly with co2?

Lighting
    Any led light that is suitable for initial low tech and eventually high tech if I decide to go for it? Want to buy the right light from start.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Grouchzzz

You have given your self the best advice ever by starting slow and learning as you go.

Tank choose what you would like then go the next size up if not you will wish you had once you started.

Once you have decided on the tank size then its what type.
    What ever you do run a mile from any kit tanks as they are usually made for a price not quality but the LFS will tell you "Its as good as"

Then comes every thing that works best for your tank.

In the mean time do as much research as you can on the type of Aquascape.

The most important point is don't rush and certainly no impulse buying.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

Jason King likes this.
  3. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Do you have a budget for all this equipment?

All equipment depends on that, the bigger the budget the better the equipment. I've bought cheap heaters and after one year i have had to buy a new ones (false economy), I've bought more expensive heaters and they are still going strong. The same with most equipment.

Tank size does not really matter as long as you have a good cleaning schedule and weekly water changes, if you don't do these things then the larger tank will take longer to cause problems depending on your bio load, how heavy you tank is stocked.

For me I would go with a 90cm as this allows you to use a lot more plant species but saying that it also depends on you plans and the style of Aquascapes you will be doing.

OK for equipment if you want the modern style aquarium i recommend a EA AquaScaper 900 and Cabinet or the 600 version or similar.

For a filter aim for a filter that is 10x turn over of the tank volume.

I only use Eheim professional series Filters as they are solid and last well, jbl canisters also have a good reputation but are not as solid.

Co2 depends on what type of plants you want to grow and is only recommend after you have some experience with aquariums as it takes alot more dedication, the results depending on the plants are certainly worth it.

Same for lights depending on your budget i recommend one that is dimmable so that it can be used for low or high-tech(with co2) setup if and when you change it will save you money in the long run.

Hydor heaters are the in thing for the modern aquascaper as they reduce the visable equipment, some people have had endless problems with them and other highly recommend them.

Once you have a set budget i will try and recommend the lighting etc as this ranges from 100-1000 depending on what tank size you go for and if you want if dimmable etc.

Choose you tank size and we can go from there, choosing a filter, substrate, lighting etc..

4. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Keith and Jason ,

Thanks for your advices. Had a look at the EA AS900 and really like it. Was looking at ADA tank but think the EA AS900 tank is compatible and slightly cheaper. Does tank like this need a clear top to reduce water loss.

Can you please advice on a suitable external filter. I will get the best filter if this means less hassle down the road.

Same goes for the light. Want to start with low tech tank. Hence, the light needs to be dimmable. As advised, with more experience, I might one day move to high tech. Please advice.

Heater. Still fancy a hydor but is the 300w model enough to heat the EA AS900. If not, please recommend any solutions.

Want to create a iwagumi aquascaping. Pls recommend the best place to get rocks.
    Plan to cover it with moss. What is the best carpeting moss?

Cheers

5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Grouchzzz

Is this what you are thinking about?
    ]
    AS900

Aquarium Dimensions 900mm (l) x 500mm (w) x 450mm (h)
    Aquarium Specifications
    10mm glass thickness
    Super White glass
    Clear silicone
    RRP: £299.00 (Without Cabinet)
    RRP: £599.00 (With Cabinet)

That is an Eheim Canister next size up to suit the tank you choose.

If you are going to go Low Tech a standard quality T5 or T8 tube lighting would be sufficient. Why a dimmer? never required one.

I have always ran two heaters this will give you an even temperature and a handy back up when one stops working all of a sudden which can/will happen.

If you are a beginner this will be the hardest aquascape to do its not just get a few rocks place them in a tank.
    Where to buy them sorry I live in Aust.

Now the fun starts seeing you are going Low Tech you will have to be very careful what plants you get.
    I assume you are covering the substrate? Not the rocks.

Substrate this can be a minefield what are you thinking about.

6. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    For filtration i recommend a JBL 1501e or my personal choice is the Eheim professional 4 600

A dimmable Iight is an option and helps if you lights are fixed to the tank, if you are hanging your lights and they are distance adjustable then this works the same.. the further the light the less par, the less algae and so on.

If in the future you decide to go high tech buying a light that has more power but is dimmable for your low tech use is advised as it can be more universal but as i mentioned it depends how your light are fitted..

For substrate this depends on the look you require, a true iwagumi would use a substrate like ADA AS and be high tech due to the plants required, hair grass or hc etc, the high light and co2 make these plants greener and denser lush carpets

Keith likes this.
  7. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Great info Keith :) should help alot.

Grouchzzz as i mentioned iwagumi requires carpet plants and most require high light and co2 to get it perfect.

Keith likes this.
  8. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers. Need to re-think whether to go for iwagumi. Was hoping that there are low tech good carpet plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith likes this.
  9. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    The problem with lowtech and carpets are that the plants either don't grow, grow very slow or look leggy and spaced rather than a close lush green carpet.

Keith likes this.
  10. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
  11. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Grouchzzz

That would be one of the easiest questions asked for many years.

GBG

Here is an excellent yet very basic Iwagumi set up Rocks and a Grass give it the wild look I think its a Low Tech tank.

12. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, what is GBG?

13. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Grouchzzz GBG mean Glass Box Gardeners.. this website :)

Any more thoughts on you plans.

14. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom

Lol. Sorry.. was at work and the brain wasn't really working right. Too much going on. Hence , need a calming hobby to enjoy after work.

I'm yoyoing between the 600 and 900 tank. I'm terrible in making decision. Need to setup an excel sheet to put all the cost down.

Can the eheim professional 4 suitable for evolution aqua 600 too?
    I think you can get it with a in build heater for the eheim. Is that advisable?

15. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, were you meant to attach a link to the low tech tank?

16. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    No problems :)

It's a great hobby for relaxing with and one of the reasons i enjoy it so much.

If you go for the 600 it will be a lot easier to maintain, as for the heater the pro 4 600 is not available with a built in heater but the EHEIM professionel 4+ 350T is available and perfect for the 600 and i use the same one on my 600 tank.

They are great filters.

17. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Grouchzzz

I will put mine down to old age nothing else.

J%20Art%202.

I think this is a low tech tank
    #1 Water Wisteria

Water Wisteria grows fast, quickly adding depth and beauty to your freshwater aquarium. It needs minimal maintenance, which makes it a fuss free plant to have.

• Appearance: Tall lace-like green leaves.
    • Water Temperature: 74°F – 82°F.
    • Lighting: Medium lighting.
    • Function: Carpet plant in the front, lining the floor of the aquarium.

2javamoss. #2 Java Moss

Java moss is quite popular for freshwater aquariums. It is low-maintenance and tends to grow onto driftwood and rocks.

• Appearance: Fuzzy and green on the bottom of the aquarium.
    • Water Temperature: Tolerates 70°F – 90°F, but grows the best in 70°F – 75°F.
    • Lighting: All kinds of lighting.
    • Function: Bottom-covering; protection of baby fish; secondary food source for baby fish.

3Lilaeopsis. #3 Lilaeopsis

Lilaeopsis resembles grass and grows up to 2 inches tall. It spreads fast, often along the entire aquarium floor. It may need to be pruned periodically if it is invading other plants.

• Appearance: Green, grasslike
    • Water Temperature: 74°F – 85°F
    • Lighting: Medium light
    • Function: Aquarium floor covering; hiding place for baby fish
    If they are High Tech here are some alternatives

And a few taller at the back eg Val

18. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. Really like the look of water wisteria.

If I go for the evolution aqua Aquascaper 600 tank, will the kessil A80 Tuna Sun good enough lighting for the low tech tank? Really like an led light and the review is quite good for the kessil light.

Cheers

Keith likes this.