1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Glass Box Gardens would like to wish every member a Merry and a very safe Christmas. Don’t forget to pop in and say hello. You can let us know how your Aquariums etc are going. [IMG]https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/HUMOUR%20MIXED/Aquarium%20%20Xmas%202018%20_edited-1.jpg[/IMG] From Jason the Founder and Keith Administrator
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The owner and, Administration would like to wish all Members and their families a very safe and, a happy Christmas. Are you doing anything special for your aquarium friends? Regards Keith
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Wishing your and your family a very safe and Happy New Year. Pop in and let us know how your Aquarium is going From Jason the Founder and Keith Administrator
    Dismiss Notice

Equipments and tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping General Discussion' started by Grouchzzz, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Jason King

Jason King Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Kessils are great lights and they will allow you to dim up and down to your requirements.

Please bear in mind that they are powerful lights if on full strength, so play safe if your lowtech as it will prevent algae.

I'm using Lilaeopsis in my lowtech and it seems to be doing great, it will just take a while to spread in a lower tech setup.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

2. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Finally, Ordered
    1) evolution aqua aquascaper 600
    2) kessil a80 tuna sun
    3) Eheim Professional 4+ 350 External Filter

Substrate aqua soil Amazonia ? Do I need anything else? E.g. Fert, and some other substrate additive for low tech tank?

Obviously some rocks and plants. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Nice setup :) The ADA is fine on its own and will not need any extra ferts or additives for a few months as it contains all of those including ammonia to help cycle the tank.

After a few+ months you may need some low tech ferts depending on what plants you choose but come to that after you are setup.

Large water changes of about 50% every other day for a few weeks is a good thing, then once a week from then on will help keep your tank clean and healthy.

Being low tech you can probably leaves it to every few weeks after the initial first month.

Don't add fish for a at least two week to a months when using ADA AS when nitrites, Ammonia etc are zero after the cycle has completed.

Advised to buy some water test kit, some basic aquascaping tools (tweezers, scissors, etc) buckets, sython.

4. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Forgot to mention if your using tap water don't forgetting to add a water condition such as seachem prime after every water change.

Are you still thinking about an iguwami style? Seems your staying lowtech? Only reason I'm asking is it will take a long time for you to achieve a carpet, have you thought about a nature Aquarium?

It's your choice but just thought I would mention it incase you was expecting a complete aquascape in a few weeks.

5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Grouch

One major point not to do, that is worry about the Ph during the cycling process if you do it will drive you crazy it will be all over the place. It will be perfect when fully cycled. To hurry it along a little get as many cheap leafy plants as you can throw them in the tank and throw then out when fully Cycled.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

6. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for all the info. Like the idea of cycling with cheap plant. Won't put any life stock before tank fully cycled. Not going to rush this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith likes this.
  7. Grouchzzz

Grouchzzz Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, came across dry start method when I'm browsing around. Do you think it would help to dsm with lilaeopsis. Just plant it in a wet substrate . ( still no co2) . Do you think it will help it establish faster and better? Just an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I've tried a dry start with both hc and dwarf hair grass both worked great. The hc required the co2 to be active once it was filled, I'm not sure if this is the case with Lilaeopsis.

Humidity needs to be 100% and sealed with cling film, at the end of each day open it slightly for a few minutes to allow air exchange and then reseal it again.

Keith likes this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

As you know I have never tried the Dry Start its interesting you do an air exchange as this the first time I have heard of doing it that way but it makes very good sense.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

10. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Keith in my Emersed setup I have to do this or I get lots of mould, stagnant air and plants start to rot.

After a while once the plant converted conditions I was able to leave a small gap permanently.

Also in my old Terrariums air exchange was a must or the plants rotted, I used to use small computer fans to circulate the air.

P.s I have now moved my Emersed setup to another part of the garage and will update that journal information when possible, it's still running but I sold a lot of plants a while back while I was caring for my dad.