1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Glass Box Gardens would like to wish every member a Merry and a very safe Christmas. Don’t forget to pop in and say hello. You can let us know how your Aquariums etc are going. [IMG]https://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/HUMOUR%20MIXED/Aquarium%20%20Xmas%202018%20_edited-1.jpg[/IMG] From Jason the Founder and Keith Administrator
    Dismiss Notice

First large iwagumi scape

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by gio14, Dec 2, 2016.

1. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    Hi all this is my first thread here,
    two months ago I decided to rescape my aquarium to build and iwagumi

Here's some info:

aquarium size: 115x60cm, 65cm hight (it's a closed aquarium so I have 55cm of water)
    tech:
    • 2x 54w dennerle trocal led
    • 1 twinstar nano plus
    • eheim external canister
    • 4kg co2
    for the hardscape:
    • Seiryu stone
    • ada amazonia
    plants:
    • eleocharis mini
    • some staurogyne
    • some blyxia
    due. tre.

#1 gio14, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2016
  2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Giorgio

Let me explain to our other members please.

Giorgio is working with what rocks he has and a tight budget, as all experienced members know this is always a greater challenge than working with a big open ended budget and all the perfect rocks ready to go.

This is the only reason for the smaller rocks.

As you can guess by now I have been helping him through to this stage.

Can you post and list the plants please.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM and Aquahorti like this.
  3. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

Hi Giorgio,

I am at work for the next week and doesn't have the tools to do any picture alterations, but I have a couple of suggestions that might be possible (mind you that I have been doing aquascaping less than a year).

I think that the best of the two setup is the last one, so my suggestion is for that setup.
    Depending on how the two stones next to the main stone in the aquarium looks from different angles, I would consider interchanging them, as it is now I get the feeling that the central feature is to close to the center of the aquarium and not at the golden ratio. The main stone looks like it is located just where it needs to be. I would also move the smaller stone on the far right a bit back towards the main stone (move back and across 2-3 cm each way).

I must say that it is not easy to know what works best, unless I also know what plants go where, but my suggestion is as above.

Have fun, and really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Tommy

4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Tommy Giorgio has already started the planting and when they get established he might tweak the rocks if necessary.

This tank is a massive learning curve and only he can see exactly what the over all Aquascape looks like where we have to look at a flat photo.

5. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    Thank you Tommy,
    sorry for my late reply, but this forum isn't on tapatalk so it's more difficult to me to reply being almost everyday araound Italy for work...

as Keith said, I've started (and already finished planting)
    here's what I did so far
    253376840ea4d98b3c3ac5624675789d.
    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/253376840ea4d98b3c3ac5624675789d.jpg
    That's absolutely an experimental aquarium for me:
    • first large iwagumi
    • seiryu stones: hope to keep under control water hardness
    • twinstar: does it really work?
    • blixya: never used, will melt??
    nb: the smaller stone isn't brown, it get dirty filling the aquarium
    heres's the final list of palnts:
    • eleocharis mini (carpet)
    • staurogyne repens
    • blixya
    • eleocharis sp (I will buy next week to plant behind the main stone)
    Until now I took pictures with my smartphone, from now I will use my camera so hopefully they will look better:):)

6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Giorgio

Is it possible to stick on either a black or a mid-dark blue on the back of the tank. There is a Vinyl stick on made to cover school folders, it will lift your rocks and plants considerably.

7. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

@gio14

I like it, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow to it's final form with all the plants. I have never used any of the plants you have used in yours, so I can't really say how best to care for them.

I'm glad you are posting this, because I have been looking for a plant to use in an aquascape I'll make in the new year (probably May) and the eleocharis mini looks perfect, so thanks :).

Are you planning on using CO2 in the aquarium, and how will you keep the hardness down? Frequent water changes or by adding chemicals?

Keith likes this.
  8. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    I chose eleocharis mini for it's height and because it isn't a fast growing plant, this spring I built a small iwagumi with calli and I had to trim too often.

I do already have co2, from what I know staurogyne and blixya in particular cannot grow without co2.

In the beginning hardness will not be a problem, amazonia will absorb carbonate , I have 55l of aquasoil in this thank (for now the problem is the opposite, after only 1 day I have kh 0)

Keith likes this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Giorgio.

As I have mentioned to you previously I would be considering a cheap floating plant to act as a shelter for your Fish/Shrimps plus it will help to control any Algae concerns.

10. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    Another order is on its way:
    • eleocharis montevidensis
    • 2 different floating plants (I have no experience with either one):
      • salvinia natans
      • azolla filiculoides
    • surface skimmer
    anyone has any experience with those floating plants?

Keith likes this.
  11. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

Hello,

A surface skimmer and floating plants will most likely work against each other.

Either the floating plants will block either the surface flow to the skimmer by forming a barrier, or if they are small enough the will go in and fill it up the skimmer. I have no personal experience with either of the two surface plants you have ordered, but I know some that uses them all the time. They are very nice looking plants, and from what they say, the plants are good for removing nutrients from the water (they grow, multiply, and you remove some of them). The downside to them is that they dim the light for the plants under them, so if you want a healthy carpet they might not be the best plants to add. But quite a few people who are into shrimps use them.

It all depends on what you want to build, but I am not a fan of floating plants, they make controlling the light harder, and I'm Lazy :-D.

Keith likes this.
  12. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    I will use floating plants just in the early stages of the aquarium ( keeping their growth under control), after that I will remove them and install the skimmer, it's just to reduce nutrients. To be honest usually when I build a new aquarium I use egeria or ceratophyllum, but why not give a chance to those plants?!? (y):D

Aquahorti and Keith like this.
  13. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Aquahorti likes this.
  14. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    Aquahorti likes this.
  15. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

I have never used a surface skimmer either, but have twice experienced that we had a film on the surface. The reason why we had films on the surface turned out to be us not having cleaned the filter material as per schedule:whistle:. I am not saying that it is just caused by a dirty filter, it could be your substrate that is failing as well, or overfeeding. I have a gut feeling that aquariums with bottom filters are more prone to surface films, as we are very focused on getting the bacteria in the system right, but who eats the bacteria, and who eat those that eat the bacteria, and so on? It is an artificial ecosystem (at best it looks that way) that needs all the help we can give it to be a healthy one.

When I was a child, I spend most of my free time outside fishing in the streams and ponds/lakes, and it was easy to spot the unhealthy ones, because they had the oily film on them more often than not.

So I would say that if you have a film in your aquarium it is because you are doing something wrong, and it should be easy to fix. Putting a skimmer in the tank is not the right solution long term, you need to fix the root cause instead(y).

Regards

16. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

I like ADA, but I would rather use the VUPPA-I as a small filter in a small all planted aquarium than for removing a surface film. We have been contemplating getting one to use in an all planted aquascape, and then being able to remove a surface film in other aquariums while fixing the real problem.

17. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    Being a minimal aquarium I think it's better to remove surface film, just for aesthetics ( that's the first time I use a skimmer). Is there any way to remove film other than a surface skimmer?

18. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Giorgio

Going back a few years I was trying to help an Aquarium keeper who always had oily water, to make things harder every thing in the tank was perfect. I turned out to be a very dirty water supply, once this was established they added a filter system for all their drinking and cooking water.

Seeing its not your first tank have you seen this in any other tank? At a very long shot "could" it be something in the substrate or in one or more of those rocks, some woods are also oiley. Running your new tank water through a garden hose can even cause it. Have you added any oils to the impeller? I would try running the filter with a carbon filter for a week and see if that helps. Add a good fine airstone to give the water surface a good mix up.

As you can see I have gone on a big fishing expedition hoping to get a fish.

19. gio14

gio14 Member

Address:
    Italy
    that's true, I bought it just to experiment (as you can see I'm experimenting many things in this tank) and because I was ordering other stuff and I had a discount.
    In past aquariums I had surface film in two tanks:

1- small iwagumi (last year): bacterial bloom
    2- altum perù aquarium: bad maintenance, it was my fault because I hardly cleaned filter media (two times a year :whistle::whistle::whistle: ... I know I was soooo lazy!) but this tank was really low tech, lasted 4 years and I had several births:clap::clap:

so I agree with you that it's better to find the root cause, it could help just in short term

20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Giorgio

I suppose it's silly to say that is good but, in one way it's a great help all we have to do now is find the common denominator. My guess its a water issue

OK lets see what Dr Google has to say about Oily water in Aquariums
    http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/problemsolving/a/oilslick.htm
    Then there is the follow up
    http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumglossary/g/surface_agitation.htm
    http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/waterparameters/tp/Aquarium-Water-Movement.htm

There is plenty of reading there for you.
    I will hone it down to two points now water supply and or water movement.

Going back to your photos I will say its water movement, remedy an air stone or better still a power head

Possibly why I never had it I always had plenty of water movement both the 5ft and the Bow fronted had an over sized Eheim Canister, Under gravel filter with risers plus air stones.

Tags: