(Sarah) Tommy ended up not using all the Hemianthus callitrichoides in his Iwagumi style and didn't need much convincing to help re rescape (slight exaggeration) my desk aquarium. Fluval spec v ADA co2 Stock filter stock lights Tropica substrate Tropica fertiliser The betta safe flow reductions have all been made to this aquarium to drastically reduce the water movement so Conan does get too tired The original layout has been rearranged a few times as we've been using this aquarium as an overflow tank for keeping plants in. This is a picture from a few months ago and the only real change is that there were a few small clumps of Hemianthus callitrichoides on the right hand side. This is the aquarium that Conan (the barbarian) my very hungry, aggressive betta lives in. Conan was the ugliest fish in the store and once I woke him up was very alert and flirty. He was, and still is a bit of a brute, territorial and aggressive. He will tolerate Otto's in his aquarium but attacks other fish and unfortunately thinks small invertebrates are snacks. He can't fit a cherry shrimp in his mouth when they are fully grown but will happily hunt and eat the babies. I've been planning on redoing this aquarium for a while and the combination of leftover plants from Tommy's aquarium and a delivery of shrimp today seemed like a good opportunity to replant. We removed Conan, the otto's, amano shrimp, and 3 red cherry shrimp. Then drained the aquarium and removed all the plants. The Amano shrimp and cherry shrimp were moved to a different aquarium and started the acclimation process for the new yellow golden back neocaridina. I started separating the Hemianthus callitrichoides into individual plants while Tommy levelled the substrate and I butchered the other plants, cut back roots, removed uneven leaves the amano had eaten and split plants that were ready to be separated. Tommy planted the Hemianthus callitrichoides keeping roughly to the original layout with the rocks and plant placement. The major restriction for this re build was Conan my betta. In the extra slow flow area on the far right of the aquarium, Conans sleeping and bubble nest anchor plant, (limnophila aquatia) has to remain. This might sound a big extreme but he likes the water conditions in the spec and my suspicions about crown tail genes have been confirmed. To put it mildly his fins are growing like crazy and he looks very different now and needs a low flow aquarium. Unfortunately I wasn't planning on posting this as a journal so didn't take any pictures before or during. After the rebuild, the carpet and other plants looked really nice so I decided to post this to track how the Hemianthus callitrichoides copes with the stock lights and with the addition of neocaridina just after planting before the roots have formed. It's good contrast to the Iwagumi, high light, high co2 that Tommy has started. Rebuild pictures... Hemianthus callitrichoides carpet. The in vitro plants were separated and planted as individual plants. The amano shrimp from our LFS are all obsessed with digging and we have't been able to grow a carpet with them in the aquarium. Hopefully the yellow neocaridina will clean algae without digging up the plants before the roots can grow in. Anubis flower Conan hiding behind the co2 bubble counter. He's incredibly difficult to photograph and this is one of the few pictures I have where the maroon and copper tones in his head are visible. Here is picture of the aquarium after the rebuilt,(Conan resting against the filter grating). The white coral has christmas moss anchored to it. The coral is full of holes and tunnels for the shrimp to hide in so Conan doesn't eat them. The forested area behind and to the right hand side of the coral will hopefully provide space and protection for the shrimp. The indian almond leaf tucked behind the heater is to improve the water quality for the shrimp and to increase the tannins to prevent Conans new fins growing in curly. Same view with Conan's fins extended. Co2 not attached. Angled end view End view After a few hours the yellow back neocaridina started to colour up. Hopefully the carpet will root in and start to spread over the next few weeks. I'll be dosing with tropica fertiliser at the recommended doses.