1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introductions' started by MarcelM, Aug 14, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hello everybody,

My name is Marcel :) and im from the Netherlands i live down south in the Dutch Mountains. Actualy the erea i live in and grew up is nowadays called Park City near the German and Belgium border. It was always like that and where ever you go its small parks patches of small woodlands, streams and swamps within walking range all over the place for miles and miles. Back then when the others went to play socker i was always missing and ploughing trough the swamps and woods sucking up nature and it's tiny wonders. I caught and never lost the addiction and always took little pieces and ideas of nature home to enjoy and wonder. I'll guess keep doing it till the day i die. Cant help it, the smell of a forest or a swamp is just like parfume to me.

Doing all sorts of thing with it, like just plants to color the house, making tiny terrascapes, aquariums terrariums, ripariums what ever it is called i don't care as long it is green i just love it.

Lately i rediscover tropical aquarium again after a 25 year break and the new aquascaping concept triggerd my intrest again. So i ended up finding UKAPS. I shared some stuff with Roy (Greenfinger and very talented W-K master) and he introduced me to this wonderfull community.

So thanks for having me and thanks Roy for the tip.. :)

I bet i'll find a lot of inspirations and knowledge at this wonderfull site, to make life even more beautiful.

#1 MarcelM, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Welcome to GBG . Nice to see you here my friend (y)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work. I think you are as addicted to nature and all the wonders she has As I am :love::love:

I love the smell of the river or lake in the early morning :D

MarcelM likes this.
  3. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Welcome from me too Marcel - I am very curious to your works already.

We have the same feelings about nature it seems! (y)(y)(y)

MarcelM likes this.
  4. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

A very big welcome to GBG.

I have kept Aquariums for about 50 years now and as it was getting to much for me I have gone for the natural garden looking planted tanks now.

I am a very long way from every one I live at the bottom of Australia on the coast and the next major landfall is the south pole.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  5. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the welcomes :). This is an intersting place you all got here. What i find so funny about it is all the terms i come to notice. Like Kokodama, kusamono, wabi kusa, iwagumi etc. etc. Actualy never was into all these name giving and not aware of such a large community sharing the same intrest, that's a realy nice thing about internet i maybe never would have known without it. Makes me feel less alone in my interests, it's nice to find out that i'm not the only fanatic around, like i felt for many years because non of my family nor friends realy share the same amount of interest like i have.

15 years back i played a while with an old glass bowl and did put some aqautic plants and a snail in it without being aware that there already was a name for it and i was actualy creating a Wabikusa.

Till now i didnt realy take much photo's of the things i came up with, becaus ethere was nobody around willing to look at them with very much intrest. And since it is rather difficult to take photographs of such multi dimensional litlle scapes.. Most of them always look kinda flat and far from what they look in real life. so i'm still learning to get that right. I guess the secret in this probably is the "Less Is More" rule i read about in the scaping world. A rule i find hard to administer..

So to begin with i only have few pictures of some previous works i did of which i feel a bit sorry now i come to find this nice place.
    I also just create things on the fly when i take a walk and by change see/find a nice scapeable piece of wood or bizare rock that's suitable.

These are from last year early summer.
    JSbORNu.

skqUWT6.

6wvWLT2.

RvyRnBh.

nuBedmt.

Also last year the local garden centre had a rather large Bambino collection of young and small plants which was ideal for creating these kinds of scapes. This year they had none of them :(. And actualy i geuss we all have our budget and agenda to go with. This year my focus and energy is more on the 2 new tanks im maintaining at the moment and a 3th is still in the sketchbook. Later about them :) in another topic.

6. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

You will find out we all suffer from the same incurable concern and the only known cure is start another project that relaxes the body completely, Roy has another concern its called lack of space and that is harder to cure.
    Less is More and More is Less its a golden rule for many types of design work, then there is always this Rule, KIS Keep It Simple, but nature does not obey any rules and that is another one to think about when creating a natural piece of plant life.

Photography is possibly even far more important a prize winning piece of work can look look like a shocker if the photography is not right.

Compare the first two photos.
    1 Distractions every where
    2 Other than a little out of focus at the back, you can look at each and every little detail without being distracted.

Have a look at Roy's work now and you will see exactly what I am referring to, it starts of with the best container you can find for that particular job, and the best place to locate these is what I call the OP (Opportunity) shop usually run for charities all their stock is donated making every thing extremely cheap.

I also believe you love go into the bush and take some very interesting photos.

They will certainly be welcomed here.

MarcelM and Greenfinger2 like this.
  7. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Wonderful jungle-like works Marcel (y)(y)(y) and so healthy plants! Love the little mushroom - from time to time they grow in my tanks, too.

Same with me: Friends and family are not very much interested in this hobby - they have a fast look at the works, say "Oh how nice!" And that's it. :whistle:
    I am thinking for hours/days about changing a little plant to its right place - mostly they even did not really realize if I changed the whole work at all ...:rolleyes:

Greenfinger2 and Keith like this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Keith :)
    I know excactly what you are refering to, the first picture is indeed a bad one it's one of the only i could find back of it. i have to do it with a Coolpix.. altough it can take good pictures i'm just not familiar enough with it how to get it right. Mostly take many pictures and filter out the nice ones if there are. Everytime when i make something it always end up in jungle style, that just what i'm atracted to, also always want to venture into the inpenetrable parts of the woods it works like a magnet pulling me in. And there i always see the more is more. i love to create small things that kinda have a large feel. And these are the hardest to photograph when it comes to details and focus. still strugling to got it right with my aquarium. That's also a small 42 liter jungle in more is more style packet with over 20 species of plants wood and stones, for real everybody says woow stunning how large that little tanks looks and on photo i can't yet get it right whit that darn coolpix. :LOL: I also think i over did it a bit, actualy it's just a test subject for a later planed scape in the living room. Now i'm trying out things and want to get to know what plants i can use best. After the long break and so many new plant spieces we didn''t had back then. I didn't want to spent to much money and still create an ugly monster in the living room. First play a little low budget to see what can be done and what not. Also all technics around my tank is DIY from other alternative sources doing the same job as good, like filter, in line heater, dimable leds for a fraction of the cost you would spend in a aquarium shop. Ill post some pics soon. :)

when i look at Roys work, i'm still very far away from what he can accomplish. I also have a huge shortage of space, just living in a tiny house and having sort of collectors syndrome. i don't know how to dispose of things always have the feeling i can use that one time or an other. I've i had a bigger house i'm afraid i would be like a Ludolf ;) Evelyns knows what that is i guess.

@Evelyn thanks :) That mushroom indeed is a sneakin and it couldn't be on a better spot. It grew 5 cm in only 24 hours and withered away again in 2 days time. Never seen anything grow so fast. A plant can do that too, but seeing a mushroom develop in such short period is amazing..

#8 MarcelM, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    moss-maniac and Greenfinger2 like this.
  9. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

In the early days of using a digital camera also a Coolpix I once asked a professional Photographer "How do you take a good photo of an Aquarium"? his answer was very simple "With great difficulty"

Using only what you have you would be surprised at the results.

Terrariums are a lot easies nothing is moving but you use the same basics.

Small containers that are easily moved that is a big plus to start of with.

Note what professional photographers use a big drop sheet with a big curve at the base to give you a blank working area.

I use a material called Toy Felt its like a green Billiard table top but its used for making toys I use white.

Its these little tricks that can make an average piece of work look look like a master piece.

Then there is PhotoShop it can also do wonders especially with the cropping and lighting.

This is what I am referring to its extremely harsh and a bit rough its just to give you an idea what can be done, its very heavy cropping and a little bit of coloring in also a whisker darker

That wall backing is a very good location it is white, has a texture and most important of all it shows of every detail of your plants.

Keith:cathug:

Marcel%20boat%2016.8.15%20_edited-1.

Jason, MarcelM and Greenfinger2 like this.
  10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Keith. :) Nice tips, ill see what i get out of it.. Wow thats my pick, indeed looks like you sneaked into my hous and took a picture. :LOL:.
    I still got PS CS5 in my laptop i regularly play with it but obviously not enough and not in the right way.

Here is a sneak peek shot a minute ago:cathug:(see your a cat lover as well.. :)
    ZjA8l32.

The things im strugling with at the time is, get the right light balance with close ups.. This is a matter of time to find it.. And with the coolpix i just can't get the manual focus right.. For example got that Lily in the mid ground shooting floaters up.. The darn camera often focusses auto on the wrong detail, like the stem of the lily instead of whats behind it. I need a camera with an easier way to manualy focus. Unfortunately thats not in my budget at the moment. So ill keep trying till i got that coolpix figured out.
    tOYn4r3.

Also still working on the light stand. This is OK but i want to build me another one hanging so i can play with it's hight.. This one distracts the emersed growth to much. Got all the stuff i need, but didn't find the time to build it yet. :)

Ill get there in time.. :love:

11. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Evelyn is a kind of Ludolf, too! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
    I keep everything, because one day I will use it for...

MarcelM likes this.
  12. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

The first thing I see is the loverly Male Red Tabby am I correct?

Marcel%20tank%20and%20cat%2017.8.15%20_edited-1.

Set the camera to Automatic its very hard to focus on a plant unless you are doing a very close up.

My PS is an old version of PS Elements it has all the basics I need and that is all I ever use.

Am I correct in saying you were in front of the tank and a little to the right of center.

Aqu%20Tank%20Angles%202%20edited-1.

This might help you at least its a start.

Now back to the tank its simple and basic yet looks very interesting a good pruning would certainly help.

13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Keith,
    Thanks again for the tips. I can use that.. :)

Yes the cat is a male taby (Cyper) he's a mix breed, big fellow around 7 kilo's muscle and about 40 cm wither hight. He's a bruiser always comes home scratched and torn up. Got another Mackerel taby running around with a kilo less and a bit smaller. :)
    Here he was younger few years back.
    DSCN0904%20%28Small%29.JPG
    This is his buddy and sparring partner
    DSCN2623%20%28Small%29.JPG

Back to the tank :) yes i took to photo excactly like that, to get the cat in it.. That's his favourite spot when i'm working or even just looking at the tank..

The tank is indeed basic as i wanted it, nothing fancy and wanted room for a lot of plants.. It's running since April, so still in it's developing and maturing phase. I'm trimming it daily and recently also did swap some plants. A few weeks ago i swapt a part of the indica on the right with zosterfolia and the HC with monte carlo, they still are developing. Added some staurogyne repens, still strugling a bit to get it going, but slowly is addapting.. 2 days ago a gave the rotala mexicana goyas a decent trim. Today i did the Rotala indica and Marcandra. Actualy the tank is constantly changing, there's a lot in there. few moths a go i had a major algae issue, this is gone now for 90% but still got a little staghorn lurking. so i take it easy and give it a rest now and then and go bit by bit.. By the time it's more where i want it i hope i got the photograpy sorted out and then it's time for a journal. :)

I also want to swap the filter outlet, the ball shape is ok but it doesn't realy fit my scape that well. i got it to late and actualy miscalculated and misplaced that wooden trunk a centimeter. So i cant hide it behind the tree, which was my initial idea and that didn't work out. I think i swap it for a straight jetstream outlet so i can place it more into the right corner.

This is the rightside. The recent monte carlo and staurogyne still needs more rooting. Here you also see why i need to change to lights and make it hang, higher. :) Ill fix that soon.
    JyBJclk.

This the tree emersed part. Still slowly maturing.. There also is some UG at the side out of view on that piece, looking promising. :)
    FCtNDtK.

still got a lot of thing ahead to get sorted out. :)

#13 MarcelM, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Jason, yeswaitnosorry and moss-maniac like this.
  14. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    in a hurry, but (y)(y)(y) !

MarcelM likes this.
  15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks! :)

16. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    boah, this trunk!!:love:

MarcelM likes this.
  17. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    :X3::LOL:
    Here is the other side, for you Evelyn.. :)
    pS5Xm0e.

And i close up from my baby UG i finaly got going. took a while..
    CLhkwFp.

Got a floating trunk on the left side. Also still needs a lot of work and care. Having it's ups and downs.
    Ikz8OHK.

and to many details for a total shot actualy..
    iXDcDet.

wX43ysU.

:)

Jason, yeswaitnosorry and moss-maniac like this.
  18. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Wonderful zozo,:clap:

wish I could have something like this, too

19. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thank you evelyn, means a lot to me you like it that much.. :)

But may i ask why can't you have some like this? I've seen your blogspot.. Very impressing all.. This would be a piece of cake for you or should i say walk in the park.. :)

20. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Looking through the tank I can see more tanks how many do you have.