1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introductions' started by MarcelM, Aug 14, 2015.

1. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Thank you very much zozo -

absolutely wonderful details of your open tank(y)

Why I can't have an open tank , too?
    Main reason: I am running out of time and at the moment I really do not want to open another construction site ...

But I am thinking about my big 650 l tank - its lids are quite damaged in the meantime anyway and the light is laying extra from the lids on the tank, too- I am afraid soon I have to try it open ...
    but 650 l loose a lot of humidity to the living room.

Hm? :unsure:
    Hm? (n)
    Hm? :sneaky:
    Hm? :whistle:

#21 moss-maniac, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    MarcelM likes this.
  2. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith i see you already found my little paludarium :) that's 2 tanks at the time.. 3th one is comming rather soon as winter habitat for the goldfish i keep over summer time in a terrace pond from an old antique sink bath tub. This actualy you could consider a tank without glas it's treated the same. already have this for several years, fish are already hand tame, don't even need a net to get them out. :) I cudle with them daily. :love:

DSCN3720 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3721 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3724 (Kopie).JPG DSCN0438 (Kopie).JPG DSCN7261 (Kopie).JPG DSCN8766 (Kopie).JPG DSCN8911 (Kopie).JPG DSCN8996 (Kopie).JPG DSCN9202 (Kopie).JPG

the pics with the rock in it are from today.. Sorry for the mess i had a bit back problems lately preventing me to weed the terrace.

#22 MarcelM, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Indeed Evelyn, i think you put a lid on very soon 650 liters tropical will make a huge difference in the living room, its like an in hous pond. My 43 liters damp out almost a liter a day with 24/25 degrees C and this is a small surface.. :)

4. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

That is a very nice collection you have in that bath, also great close up photos.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  5. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Love the garden and the old tub is a wonderful addition :love: Every garden should have a little pond for wild life.
    I must say yours is stunning with such wonderful plants :love::love::love: Nice gold fish too

You make me Jealous now as We do not have a garden. We have an allotment :DReally should do a little pond over there next year Now you are giving me ideas :):)

MarcelM likes this.
  6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks!! :) It also changes every year :) since most plants don't realy survive the winter in a pot. And what survives needs to be repotted. I can realy recomend you to do some like that its fun to do and there are so many wonderfull flowering swamp plants atracting the most beautifull tiny wild life. It realy doesn't need much room, only a sufficient filter and a piece of hose to syfon the substrate.. Put in some tiny stickelbacks for the mosquitos, you would love them.. The most fairless fish on the planet. They know they are untouchable and act accordingly, rip earthwurms into pieces and attack everything that moves even 20 times bigger then them. Never had fish more amusing then stickelbacks. And they regularly don't live longer then 2 years, most of them are already mature when bought for 50 cents and thus likely over a year old. Good enough for 1 season.

It's breath taking sometimes. It's therapy.. For me it is, because i'm very chaotic and makes me ease. I've many pictures, but since im chaotic don't ask me where they are. In time i stumble across them again and Oh yeah!.

The yellow flower is Mimulus gutates (Yellow mask flower we call it). The red star is Hesperantha coccinea Red Crimson. The long red stem with red flowers is Lobelia Cardinalis. :) and Swampy Forget Me Not.. i never would.. ;)

i see if i find the stickelback pictures back.. They must be on an older computer.. somewhere..

:love::LOL::oops:

DSCN8624 (Kopie).JPG DSCN0982 (Kopie) (Kopie).JPG DSCN0983 (Kopie).JPG DSCN1003 (Kopie).JPG DSCN1006p (Kopie). DSCN6657 (Kopie). DSCN8613-1 (Kopie). DSCN8624 (Kopie).JPG DSCN8632-1 (Kopie).

#26 MarcelM, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  7. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

What can you say other than all the photographs are absolutely fantastic.

Thank you very much for posting them.

8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Your welcome.. :)

Keith likes this.
  9. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Wow Marcel, you have a wonderful pond - I love your little paradise!:love: Stunning photos, too!

First video I could not open, because of the (in Germany) not free music on it.

MarcelM likes this.
  10. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Evelyn

I could open both in fact I had both running at the same time.

11. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Evelyn.. :)
    Those garden pond (flower) pictures are from summer 2014.. That was a verry good year, much better than this year.. This summer is less the temperaures where rather low in the spring everything grew less abbundant some flowers didnt grow at all. Even in the pond it didn't realy want to do much.. It's far from a paradise now, this summer i've not much to show for unfortunately. Even in the pond there's no flower to find this year. DSCN3720 (Kopie).JPG

You can't see the first video? so the german utube regulates other copyright standards or maybe they X rated it. It's a video from last year early summer, where my goldfish had :oops: sex in the bath tub. It looked so funny couldn't resist filming it and dub it with "Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'aime,...Moi Non Plus" :p.. I'll see if i can find the raw video back without music, then i upload that one too.. :)

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  12. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Great Videos , The Goldfish breeding fantastic to watch, Reminds me of when I used to go carp fishing and watching the carp doing there thing in the summer:)

Packed up and went home after an hour or so of watching them :whistle: Well they only had one thing on there mind and it was not food :LOL:

MarcelM likes this.
  13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I did (carp) fishing as well, stopped it about 13 years ago after catching all there's to catch and one day saw a underwater video of a school of carps. That video and the love they showed for eachother interacting, changed my mind and i felt awfull for draging them out of their inveronment only for my own self ammusement. I guess wisedom comes with age, after seeing that i've sworn to myself never to hook a fish again if i'm not planning to eat it. But since i've done it half my life i'm not intitled to judge people who still do. Like my brothers son who i introduced to angling and still does today better tehn i ever did.

But there is one experience i would like to tell, one i'll never forget. I a;ways was a hunter, floating bait (bread).. I had a Hardy 1 lbs fast taper Clarissa with a Shakespear Ambidex Reel. Ill bet you know that one. Best rod i ever had for catching carp with floating bait or a penn.. And i was at the lake next to my house wich has a very shallow side with reet about only 1.5 feet deep. At a warm summer day i saw a bunch of carps at the reet side and sneaked in and sat myself down on my stool in the reet with only my nose and rod sticking out. A saw the carps swim by in front of my face all the time i could touch them if i wanted to. The sight was so beautifull i didn't put the bait on and kept the rod out catching one would only chase them away, just sat there for hours enjoying the view with my nose sticking out of the reet. This i never forget, one of my most beautifull experiences almost sitting in a school of carps.

I'm going to search a self made clip of that carp video i uploaded it to google vids many years ago.. Underwater images filmed by a dutch carpfisher, there you see a very fat one getting hooked. And how causious they probe the boilies before taking it. that vid is possibly is still out there. I'll try to find it back. :)

yeswaitnosorry and Greenfinger2 like this.
  14. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

As far as Aussie anglers are concerned the only carp is a dead one they have killed many of our native species made many areas un fish able, once area I fished for many years had big bins on the bank to toss them into.
    In fact I think its still illegal to return them back dead or alive.

We have a very good liquid garden fertilizer called "Charlie Carp" it was set up to put them to some use.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Keith
    In the USA they think excactly the same about Carp it's a pest and they kill them all if caught. They are an invasive spieces, actualy they also arent native in europe, but since the romans did introduce them 1000nds of years ago as food supply for their legions, they are already for such a long time in our waters it aint a consurn anymore.We have no clue how many other spiecees disapeared whit their introduction and carp are considered native by now and so we learned to love them as well. I germany and neighbouring countries east, they still are a consideret a delicasy and served on the diner plate with sylvester, there you'll find them still in the supermarket freezer.

I do understand if you see an recently introduced spieces causing havoc around native beloved wild life and taking over, that people get the feeling or the idea from the goverment that they have to do something by trying to keep the population in check. But that's also just nature taking it's cause, i don't realy believe killing a few will make a difference, in the long run they are already there and will stay for ever and win the battle. The birds will help them spread and live on at places men never sat a foot.. Humans introduced them in the first place without thinking about invironment, but only profit and or just ignorance. Actualy the world maybe would be better of killing them instead, but we can't then we would be criminals and murderers and it's also to late for that. It's a delicate issue.. :)

#35 MarcelM, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Greenfinger2 likes this.
  16. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    There is a group in Australia that want to declare the Rainbow and Brown Trout a pest as they are not a native of Australia.

Re the Carp 1000s of Murry cod a native species have be introduced back into the wild and as they get older they are eating the carp fry and to the surprise of many the carp numbers have been reduced.

17. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Yes i think its a better way to give them natural competition. Thats what they are, give equal measures.. Better then just running around killing things that's just a bad habbit and a bad example for the next generation. :)

I believe the (stray) cat also has this nomination above his haed in australia..

#37 MarcelM, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  18. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Its no so much the stray cat its the Ferrel ones that roam in the cities and in bush.

The Foxes are just as bad we have had them in our back yard and we live coastal semi rural.

Wild dogs in the bush are just as bad.

19. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    where i live too, the foxes are at the rise again and come very close nowadays :) i used to have chickens (Japanese chabo's) i had 13 of them. 2 summers ago a mother fox climbed over the fence with the help of the cherry tree into the henhouse and took 'm all in 3 nights.. :) I closed down the henhous and made a garden shed of it. It also did take all the chicken from my neighbour, he had 5 of those canadian giants.. Can't blame a mother for feeding her kids. i gave the opportunity she took it... :) I've seen the fox one morning running around with one of the neighbours chicken in her mouth and killed 2 others to come back for later.

20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel
    We 2klm from the beach and holiday camping grounds plus holiday home every where (perfect hiding places) and during the off season they come inland looking for food which is only natural.