1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introductions' started by MarcelM, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Jason King

Jason King Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Welcome Marcel.

Nice tanks you have :)

2. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Jason :) Im still working on a journal.. Or more to say working on my Tanks to make 'm journal ready. And of course trying to improve my bad photography skills. But slowly getting there.. :)

3. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
  4. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I'll try to shoot soem this evening. :) Have to wait till it's dark outside..

5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Photography is like any hobby it takes plenty of practice to get that great photo.

The main difference these days you can look at the results immediately not like waiting to get films developed.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith
    That's the reason why i left the photo hobby behind years a go. started with in the analog era and it did cost me much money for maybe 5 realy nice pitures on 1 film roll.
    I know a few photographers they say that's normal it's a process you have to go trough.. But i just didn''t have to wallet for it. Now my coolpix is giving me a hard time with finding the right focus and exposure settings. I have to play with the aquarium lights to find the right light intensity.. Last evening i didn't find the time a visitor came by. I'll see if i find the time some evening this week.

Usualy i just shoot along like crazy and them it takes a whole evening to filter out and edit the nice ones. But still with aquarium shooting pics trough a wateer colum is a different ball game than just taking daily snapshots..

Keith, Jason King and Greenfinger2 like this.
  7. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

When I bought my first Coolpix (first digital) I went to a few classes run by the Camera shop.
    I learnt one very valuable lesson manufactures spent big money getting "Auto" perfect so use it and do a little touch up with Photoshop.

MarcelM likes this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I'll do that. :) Thanks for the tip..

Keith likes this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

I have the non professional Version its called Photoshop Elements its a lot cheaper and has all the bits and pieces you will require.

MarcelM likes this.
  10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith

Do you have a good tips how to prevent the glass from reflecting? Even when the room totaly dark some areas still keep reflecting, than you'll see the hand or the camera reflecting in the glass. Already taped off all white markings on the camera a tip from scapefu.. But still need to go further away from the glass, which spoils the resolution if i want to snip and blow up a part.. Or go to close so i only can make macro shots. Is that caused by the white walls surounding the tank or the dark background in the tank? or do i need more light in the tank to photograph darker background behind glass? And dim again for areas with less darker background to prevent over exposure.

I have the idea if i resolve my exposure issues im already half way there. :)

Like the picture bellow where you see my hand/fingernail reflect in the dark background. This spoils the picture all the way.

DSCN3862 (Kopie).JPG

#50 MarcelM, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  11. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

One way is to add more light to the photo (move light to the front of tank) use extra desk lamps. are you using the 15 degrees left or right and up or down.

To reduce the flash soften it with a silk handkerchief or a soft thin tissue over the flash.

Try Auto and adjust the lighting with PB.

12. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Ok thanks, up to the next session.. :) The 15 down went relatively ok, but for the up i got to play a litlle more with the right angels to get what i want on the pic. :) need to find the right light intensity to get an ok resolution.. To dark it gets fuzzy to light over exposed. Its a matter of trying.. As you said before, easy is different.. :)

13. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

That is the benefit of having digital you can check immediately or a little later on the computer.

The posters who post those picture perfect could have taken over a 100 photos and all high quality equipment just to get that perfect photo.

Remember practice makes perfect.

I know many posters take multiple photos plus use a few extra tricks to get that perfect photo.

MarcelM likes this.
  14. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith the few tips you gave already made a huge difference.. :) And indeed also some scapers of course setup a tank with some photography experience on their mind. That wasn't my goal.. That's what i see in my own pictures like how some plants don't contrast nicely on a 2 dimensional photo with the wrong angle. I slowly getting a hang of it to know what the camera actualy sees and doesn't see before i take the picture.. :)

15. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel
    One very important point the photograph is one dimension of a small area where as you see every thing in more that one dimension.

The best way to criticize your tank from start to completion take a series of photos and examine them with a very critical mind.

MarcelM likes this.