1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! :d

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Jason, May 19, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    OK i have a half decent camera and some ok lenses but when taking pictures of tanks all the equipment is as good as the user, say no more ;)

what i want to know is what do you use?, what settings do you use? etc.

2. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi I use a Olympus e450 I set the camera first the light settings from auto to 6600k fluorescent lighting or 5400k for flash shots Plus set the exposure button to -0.3 to -0.7 this seems to give me the photo colour i want:) Most of my shots are with the macro setting on the mode dial

Still learning myself. I only took the odd pic before starting with Aquascaping and doing W-K But in order to share my tanks and W-K i had to improve my photography. Starting to get the hang of it now :cool:

3. -serok-

-serok- Member

Address:
    Hi there!

Here is a photo ducomentation how Takashi Amano and his little helpers do their photos. It's in german, but I think you can easily translate it with google translater or something else.

Fotoshoot - Just Aquascaping

At the moment I'm using a Sony Alpha 37 with 18/55mm lens, but I'm planing to buy me a real wide-angel lens.
    I try to lighten my tanks as good as possible and block off light from behind and beside the camera when I do photos. ISO 100 - 200, lens f5 / f6, shutter speed is about 1/100s.

4. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Andy, Super helpful info. Thank you for sharing:)

5. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the link going to have a look now :)

Ill also try these settings as I also use sony (A77)

6. keydoc

keydoc New Member

Address:
    Hi everybody,
    as Jason wrote, user makes the photo look way it is. But I - who do not posses the photo skills - have to start with learning and trying and trying.

I use a Nikon D5100 together with 2 lenses, 18-105mm and 35mm. When taking a photo of my planted tank, I would say tripod is a must. Of course user or photographer can be very inventive - f.e. ironing board as a tripod. :)
    For most photos I use 18-105 lens. But when I need to take some "action" I use my 35mm lens, f1.8, which allows me fast shutter speed /and low ISO/. Since it is just 35mm I also add some close-up lens and I can get decent photos.
    For those who do not have a macro lens (I don't), there is also a possibility to use a reverse ring /or extension tube - but you loose light/. For now I am doing well with close-up lenses /cheap ones from china... for my photos it suffices/. I also use a light box /when I photoshoot plants in pots/ which allows me to have diffused light and nice background. Mostly I shoot RAW and edit it in Lightroom, sometimes PS.

When taking something static, low ISO /and tripod + long shutter shutter speed/ is your friend. When shooting something fast, ISO goes higher or really high together with shutter speed. :) Most photo editors can reduce noise pretty decently so It should not be a problem.

And aperture depends on "effect" you want to have.

Planted tanks I shoot at night - because during the day glass reflects almost everything.

Oh, and one more thing - patience is a must. :)
    And now some photos, nothing fancy...but...

First - in lightbox, 18-105mm, tripod, long shutterspeed, ISO 100

Cryptocoryne_affinis_subm_Karel_ed_DSC_2313-2_v2.
    Second - in tank, 18-105mm, tripod, low ISO, long shutterspeed

Third - some action :) , 18-105mm, close-up lens, high ISO, fast shutterspeed

DSC_2061-2_ed.
    Fourth - some action :) , 35mm, close-up lens, not so high ISO, fast shutterspeed

Kettle_cryptocoryne_wendtii_mi_oya_2013_jan_29_DSC_1260_v3.
    Fifth - pseudo-macro, 18-105mm, tripod, close-up lens, low ISO, long shutterspeed, small aperture
    ... unfortunately not so sharp... maybe next time... or will photo edit it a bit more​

#6 keydoc, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  7. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    This is great michal thank you I think one of my main problems is back ground light / reflections. So I think photos at night will improve things a lot when taking tank shots.

I do also have a cheap light tent in the attic that will be perfect for wabi / individual plant shots I need to look for it.

8. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Jason, I always try and take tank photos at night. The glass reflects to much light during the day
    A Light tent :cool:Great idea for taking W-K pics:rolleyes: Any idea how much they cost ??

9. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Silly money for a basic one. Ill be back with a link :)

10. keydoc

keydoc New Member

Address:
    You can buy it in some shop specialized on photography /it costs 2 or 3 times more/, or you can buy some cheap ones on e-bay from China or Taiwan. I bought mine there. Prize depends on size, but lets say it start on 8-10 EUR. I think I have 40 cm large and it is enough for me. And you can pack it into a really small package. But you need some sources of light to put near (ideally around) the light box / light tent.

This is what I am talking about /the photo is not mine/:
    http://vonkonow.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lightbox.jpg

.. and of course... you can have a diy light box from some old paper box and using some kind of fabric or paper.

As a light source I use regular desk lamps and then I correct white balance in my laptop.

11. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
  12. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Michal I noticed that in the picture you posted that all lights are also off except for the light box. Must definitely be my problem when doing photography in doors anyway?

13. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Jason, All lights off is best :) I even use a stepladder at the moment to place a flood light on:eek: To stop or give more shadow. Well when the Wife is not there to hold it :D

14. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hehe thanks

15. keydoc

keydoc New Member

Address:
    Speaking of light box...I want as much light as possible so I take these photos during the day. And I also add artificial lights. But I am speaking about plants in pots. But maybe when you play with shadows, you will take them at night as Roy wrote. I am not interested in shadows since I want detail of whole plant in a pot.

On the other hand, containers for wabi-kusa are mostly from glass so taking a photo at night could be the way to avoid reflections.

Edit: So I think It depends on the thing you want to photograph.