1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with the DSM

Discussion in 'Emersed Growth' started by jordimex, Jul 15, 2017.

1. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    After a lot of help from @Keith i finally got a hardscape that i loved now to the hard part of it all
    I have dwarf baby tears (cuba) as well as some Eleocharis montevidensis i ran short of the baby tears and will be picking up more this week any tips on how to do the dsm and be able to get a nice mat before filling the tank? IMG_7897.JPG IMG_7898.JPG IMG_7898.JPG IMG_7899.JPG IMG_7900.JPG

2. Keith

Keith Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    Australia
    Jordimex

Its a two large rock Aquascape in a small tank sounds easy but believe me it was not.

The concept is the largest rock is tilting and if you look very carefully and use the old imagineitis it looks like the small piece has broken away and slid down the little slope.
    It actually hits three of the focal points perfectly.

Next step keep the planting to the minimum just enough to soften the harsh rocks up a little.

Now we come to the plants and the DSM this is out of my field. I know there are a few plants experts here who have plenty of knowledge on the DSM I know Jordimex will certainly appreciate your advice.

Thanking you in advance.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

3. Jason

Jason Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    @jordimex it's looking good :)

For dsm keep it sealed, and Humidity very high, from what I can see you doing a great job so far.

Everyday let new air in for five minutes to replace the old stagnant air, then re spray and seal again. Repeat for a few weeks and then fill you tank adding co2.

No need for more baby tears as it will spread and fill in fine.

Looking forward to seeing the progress :)

TimHarrison and Keith like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

Should Jordimex add any water now? I suggested up to the lowest substrate is this correct?
    Re the plants will they spread to the bare LH side quickly I think this is the area he is concerned about.

5. Jason

Jason Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I would add some so it just below the lowest part of the substrate but so it does not go above the top of the substrate level.

Just make sure you do not keep the top of the subtrate soaked. It's the humidity you're looking for and not moisture at this point.

moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  6. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    Thank you very much Jason i just did that and will be misting it in the evening as well as exchanging the air.
    Thank you very much Keith and Jason!!

Jason and Keith like this.
  7. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

That is a very good point. There was a DSM on ASW recently completely flooded at the lower levels because of the height of the substrate at the back of the tank. Never thought of misting the higher levels a little extra.

Jason likes this.
  8. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    family came to visit i will be posting an update in a couple days everything seems fine until now

9. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    I have started to see some white stuff coming from the Eleocharis montevidensis am i putting to much water? what should i do?

10. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    jordimex

Could it be a mould? If it is hold back the misting and open the top covering more and possibly longer.

It might help (remember I said might) get an air pump and add a little air movement when you are ventilating the tank.

With a bit of research I found this:-
    Fill a spray bottle with 1 part H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) to 4 parts distilled water. Spray your HC with that and it should clear it up. Make sure you keep moisture on the surface of the tank to a minimum. It's about humidity, not full on moisture.

It's about humidity, not full on moisture.

I like that little statement very much.

11. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    the white problem was gone after leaving the tank open for a full day now things are starting to grow nicely
    love the quote
    that is what im looking for at the moment hopefully i can upload some pics tomorrow :clap::clap::clap:

Keith likes this.
  12. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    jordimex

One thing teaching taught me deal with the facts not the padding. Are you using a small squirt bottle as they are very hard to set very fine. It might pay after you have sprayed leave it uncovered a little bit longer. Wet the glass only and the upper levels of the substrate.

Check to see you do not have any water under the substrate if so try to drain some out.
    I was wondering could an air line with a fine airstone be placed in the tank this would help with the air circulation. Another way out idea place the airstone in a glass of water and do not mist the tank this might just work.

Tags: