I decided to try a different method of making a wabi kusa ball this time to see if the technique etc made a difference. i found this method much quicker to make and a lot easier to play with when it came to the planting part, the only downside i can see at this stage is the mess (wet mud) also the water will cloud to start with. for my next wabi if i have to choose a substrate ball so far i would choose this one. Take some form of soil, for this one i've used TMC Nutrasoil and add water making the soil wet enough to be able to form a ball, i added a small amount at a time taking care not to get it to wet. The mud ball take some moss and fishing line and wrap the fishing line around and around... until you end up with this after i rinsed the ball and let it soak for a while. Then choose your plants Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' Alternanthera rosaefolia / reineckii mini Rotala wallichii Lindernia rotundifolia Staurogyne repens Lilaeopsis brasiliensis Eleocharis acicularis (added after these pictures) Taxiphyllum sp. 'Flame' Cryptocoryne Nevelli Sagittaria sabulata (hopefully this will flower) image from aquaessentials.co.uk and you should end up with something like this. hopefully in a few weeks this will look a lot better than it does now please note the brown marks on the leaves are mud as i said its messy, i have since removed these enjoy.