1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think its a W-K

Discussion in 'Wabi Kusa General Discussion' started by MarcelM, Aug 17, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I don't know, you may tell.. :) But till now it holds on and still has room for more. no idea where it ends. It's in an old drinking fountain for the cats, but since they rather drink from the aquarium i gave it an other use.

Some rotala's in there Indica and marcandra, HC, 2 kinds parrot feather red and green stem, differnet mosses, salvinia, duckweed. Still got some in the propagator to add later.

Attached Files:

2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

The little drinking fountain stand is a fantastic photo.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Keith :)

Its still very young only a few weeks, ill keep ypu all posted in it's development..

The stand is actualy a Chinese vase stand i found at a flee market without vase.

If anybody interested the drinking fountain or other nice custom made ceramic dishes.
    http://www.keramik-im-hof.de/
    It's pre order, custom hand made, so keep in mind after payment you need to wait out the ceramics curing time..

Keith and moss-maniac like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Martcel

That is one thing we don't have to teach you is you are keeping your eyes open and when you find that "just what I want" the old brain kicks into overdrive "what can I do with that"

MarcelM and Greenfinger2 like this.
  5. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Wow Very nice W-K love the running water :love::clap: You have an great eye for planting too.

MarcelM likes this.
  6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks.. :oops::rolleyes::p

Greenfinger2 and Keith like this.
  7. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    MarcelM likes this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I realy don't know how this would be named in terms of Wabi Kusa or such. Ive used a panty i didnt use anymore :)ROFLMAO: i'm a bankrobber you know.. just kidding) and made a substrate sausage instead of a ball to make it fit. So i guess we have something new and might as well call it Wabi Sooseeji (thats japanese for sausage).. :)

moss-maniac and Greenfinger2 like this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Who cares as long as it works.

Greenfinger2 and MarcelM like this.
  10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Did some thinking about the Kokedama idea i got from Granpa roy.. :) my propagators do not yet provide me with suitable material. But couldn't resist to put a piece of wood on my latest little hybrid Wabi Kusa pond and take away the little fountain.. And now i seem to have a hybrid Wabi Kokedama pond wkk2. wkk1. wkk. .
    :LOL: It kinda looks good and :love:. Since my camera brook down i have to do with the phone, which is even worse, but i still like to share.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  11. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

At the moment it looks very sparse but this should change at the plants develop
    The top plant I think its a Peperomia
    peperomia-carperata.

This is not mine.

I have one growing in the 5ft Terrascape its still a young plant its 20cm wide and 30cm+ high.
    This will give you an idea how big they grow in saying all that yours could get far too big for your project.

12. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith
    Yes it still needs to develop all, still i'm in the learning section when it comes to growing swamp plants and mosses emersed in dry invironments. Some did die off because i didn't do the transition long enough..

The one on the top is indeed a peperiomia rosa. :) I choose it because it's an ephyfite it grows on that little stump on a litlle bed of sphagnum. I'll keep it moist and it grows very slow that way. If you put 'm in a pot on turf they grow relatively fast, but in nature they grow as ephyfites in trees. It's already long tiem on that stump i had it made last year in a different setup.
    DSCN2220 (Kopie).JPG

same plant i have emersed on the wood in my tank. There it sits with it roots just on the wood in some life moss, grows even slower. Thats actualy how you can keep 'm in mini form for very long time with very little food only spraying some firts every other day. As ephyfite they can take drynes for a while very good.

I gues when the roots hit the water surface i will boom, but that will take very long.. They only grow big fast if you give the roots lots of substrate, moist and firts.

:)
    This is taken early june
    DSCN3085 (Kopie).JPG

This late august.. As you see not so much growth.. I find it one of the most beatiful peperomias..
    DSCN3667 (Kopie).JPG

I see you have the same one too..
    https://glassboxgardeners.com/threads/terrascaping-a-fern-gully-with-ferns-and-plants.353/page-2#post-2727

#12 MarcelM, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Greenfinger2, Keith and moss-maniac like this.
  13. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

I lost a few simply because of over watering being in the tank it can take ages to dry out, I was watering the backing instead of misting it.

With some plants you can never predict how they will grow simply because we are growing them in a controlled artificial condition.

14. yeswaitnosorry

Address:
    Marcel, what is the plant on the right, spreading out like a fan? It's very attractive.
    dscn2220-kopie-.1899. /

MarcelM likes this.
  15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith,

Indeed although Peperomia is relatively easy plant they don't like it to wet, they simply melt/rot away.. I always try to find out how and where a certain plant grows in it's natural habitat. So i found that the peperomia spieces as a subtropic and tropical ephyfite in the american jungles. In the shops you only find them pottet in turf soil, which they obviously don't realy need. With this info i started experimenting with peperomias to let them grow as ephyfite with very little root substrate, just a some peatmoss to moist, like we do with many orchids and they take it very well. The ones i kept on turf soil always grew rather fast and large with moderate watering and rot when to much. As ephyfite they grow slower and actualy more forgiving when it come to watering because the roots aren't in a pot but more free and aerated. And they also take dry periodes very good that way at least the Roso version does. Like the one on that emersed stump above the tank, it lives it grows, but is still not realy good attached, can take it off very easy, have be very carefull with it. All just observations.. :)

I've also tried this on wood at first but it's more difficult then the Roso i failed. This is the rotundifolia in it's natural habitat, not found it back yet to try again... To recreate this in some setup. It's tiny leaves give a very nice sence of scale in a small setup. But it's a very fragile plant..
    6507917901_f55efe191c_b.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  16. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Yesnowaitsorry thats a Biophytum Sensitivum :)
    It comes from around India, so i guess it wont be so hard to find it in Australia... It''s one of my favorites, realy lovely plant, it's very light sentive when evening falls it hangs down it leaves and in the morning at first light it spreads again. It's more a terrarium plant, but not that fuzzy all it also survives a while outside it but not to long.

This also is a very important and ancient medical plant. At the moment considered as one of the most important, it possibly may be a braketrough in a medication against cancer.

Keith likes this.
  17. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    ohhhh:love:
    what are these tiny leafes? Peperomia rotundifolia? I must have it!(y)
    Where is my shopping list??:sneaky:
    I have something similar... hm...(n) not really hardy, and not so succulant... and black stems and bigger leafes, I suppose.

Kind regards
    Ev

PS: Sorry - Upload did not work.

#17 moss-maniac, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    yeswaitnosorry and MarcelM like this.
  18. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    that's it - I find them always thrown away in the cemetery compost :D

DSCF1390 klein.

MarcelM likes this.
  19. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hey Evelyn. your picture indeed looks like it, thats a nice patch. Is that in your garden or indoors? there are different kinds of peperomias looking a like it's a very large genus. Till now the rotundifolia is the smallest i found in the shops. And the most difficult to handle because it's so small and brittle.. I believe they also come in an other name sometimes in the garden shops.. But not sure yet, didn't write the name down i saw. But it looked suspiciously like a peperomia R.

it is realy a little stunner, for a terrarium setup.. :) look at this one.. :love:
    3434352589_031ac4dacf.

Yesterday i happened to be in germany. :) also went to a rather large garden centre (Crumbach no idea if they are all over germany).. I believe i found one little baby plant there, it had no name to it. And grown on a pot in turf they just look different and more compact and dense. But i believe it is the right one. It will show when it matures..
    20150904_135613 (Kopie).

#19 MarcelM, Sep 4, 2015
    yeswaitnosorry likes this.
  20. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    It's a hardy sedum Marcel, isn't it?

I have this one, seems to be the same - here with fallen down phlox flowers...
    DSCF1391.JPG

#20 moss-maniac, Sep 4, 2015