1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iwagumi 36*22*26 cm, first try.

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by Aquahorti, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

Having spend the last 11 months finding plants we like, both in terms of looking at, and being able to grow, I am now looking at setting up my first real aquascape.

Sarah have a Fluval Spec on her desk, where she keeps her Betta 'Conan', and I have been admiring it from my desk which is just next to hers. We are right now at 4 aquariums, all manufactured by Fluval (We both think that the lifestyle range is just stunning, so those are the ones we have been using up till now), but have been looking at the ADA aquariums wondering if they are really as good as people say they are. We have been testing two different CO2 systems, but only one fertilizing system.

We have learned that the Amano shrimps we get from the LFS all like digging, meaning that plants that are small and have matching rootsystems are being dug up before they have rooted enough. We have not tried dry start, but I am sure we will get around to trying that at some point. So far the only plant we haven't been happy with was Utricularia graminifolia (UG), but I think that the problem was not enough light. Another thing I think might work with UG is feeding it with yeast, be it dry or dissolved in water. This is used for growing Daphnia magna (and other daphnia) http://www.dafnier.dk/dafniekultur.htm, the webpage is in Danish, but don't we all understand Danish:cautious:.

Anyway, the setup is basically going to be a full ADA setup, where I want the stones to be sat on a hill in the middle of the aquarium. I know that conventionally you set an aquarium up, so you get a greater perception of depth by having it sloping towards the back. We will be looking at this one from 3 different sides, so I think the best option is to have it set up as a hill instead.

IMG_0086.JPG
    Top view.

IMG_0087.JPG
    Front view

IMG_0088.JPG
    Back view

IMG_0089.JPG
    Front view left.

IMG_0090.JPG
    Front view right.

The reason for the top view is due to a mirror on the lighting on top of the aquarium, so we get a top down view.

When it comes to plants, the idea is to keep it fairly simple, i.e. a carpet of Hemianthus callitrichoides, with a possible dash of red behind the 3 stones on the left in the form of Rotala wallichii.

Cleaning will be done by a couple of Otos, about 20 Yellow Fire neocaridina, and making things look lively 6 Neon Tetras.

Comments and thoughts are welcome:)

moss-maniac and Jason King like this.
  2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Aquahorti

For the next photo set up in your tank reason being at the moment there are too many distractions plus, its easier to see what you are working towards.
    There is nothing wrong in having a central feature just do what you think looks best in your situation. My only suggestion is think nature and you will be surprised at the result you will achieve.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

Aquahorti likes this.
  3. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

4. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

Sarah here, Tommy is currently working on a "turbo boost" guide for this aquarium but here is a sneak preview of his carpet 3 1/2 weeks in. This is just a rough and ready picture and as you can see we have not done any cleaning since start up.
    Pretty pictures of a nice clean aquarium will follow sometime in the next week. It's not visible in the picture but we've had HC roots through the full 4cm thick sublate for just over one week.
    IMG_1807.

moss-maniac, Jason King and Keith like this.
  5. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

Sarah again: I will probably do a full water test this week and see if the filter can process 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. If it can I'll move my oto's over to clean the stone on the left hand side near the co2 diffuser. The algae here is also pearling like crazy and we might increase the fertiliser,(while there is no livestock in here) to boost the HC growth so they remove the nutrients to starve the algae.

6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Sarah

That is a beautiful thick carpet which might benefit from a light trimming.

Aquahorti likes this.
  7. Aquahorti

Aquahorti Member

Thanks Keith. I completely agree, and Tommy as well. We're struggling to find scissors we like and are building up quite a collection. The latest ones should arrive in the next 2 days...

Keith likes this.
  8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Sarah

When you start trimming syphon as you go otherwise you will have dead trimmings all over the tank.

Aquahorti likes this.