1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason's 120x60x45 Tank & Setup - modified eaReef 1200S

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by Jason King, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Jason King

Jason King Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hello everyone as I mentioned in my last post my 60cm has now been closed but I'm happy to introduce my next BIGGER project, the tank ive been dreaming of for a while :)

Some information..

For this project I want to DIY most of it meaning it will be a long process.

Tank size is a custom optiwhite 120cm L x 60cm D x 45cm H that I will be ordering in the next few weeks

The cabinet i will be making myself out of 25mm ply wood, then primed and sprayed, I've already got my cut list made as I've been researching this for a while, infact before I got the permission :D

For filtration I could spend nearly £800 on two new cannisters :( or I could DIY, I love a challenge so I decided on making my own custom wet and dry sump.

Here are a few designs that I have already planned for a 60cmx45cmx45cm wet and dry sump

Design one allows me to fit both heaters into the sump.

ca7Y64l.

Design two is a more common version but limits space with heating etc.

QOmIXVG.

I will also be using a over flow method that is silent called bean animal which uses a weir and three over flow Pipes, one that is fully open and one that is used as a secondary, the third one is called a emergency pipe that is placed higher than the other two just incase of any blockages.

I will get a drawing of this uploaded once I'm at this stage.

For each stage of this project I will post the plans and information as I go.

The first stage is the cabinet and I'll be ordering the wood this week.

Comments and feedback is welcome.

Updates coming soon.

Thanks

rodoselada and Greenfinger2 like this.
  2. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thank you Jason.. :) I'm also planning a sump under my new tank.. Still not decided how i'm going to build it.. Your designs come in very handy.. All tho i was not planning to make it this complex.. But yours look very interesting. I might go for something like design 2.. :)

3. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Design 2 is the standard layout except the over flow Pipes in the diagram are to long and should be just under the water level, something to do with flow and noise I'm told?

I'm opting to drill the tank with an external weir but some use over flow boxes with mixed reviews

4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

I fully realize you love a challenge but why bother when you can a good setup with a good canister filter and no space wasted possibly for a fraction of the cost and brain work.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

5. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Keith to get the flow I need I would need 2 cannisters that cost about £300+ each depending on the make.

With the sump it will cost me £50 + £100 for the plumbing as I already have the tank for this and just need the partitions and foam, the media I already have also.

On top of them costs I would need a pump but the overall cost will be let than one cannister.

Wet and dry Sumps are easier to clean, access, most equipment can be installed in the sump instead of the tank, heaters co2, Dosing pumps etc, once I'm finished the only equipment you will see in the display will be two removable return jets that I'm designing to be easily removed when needed.

Any plumbing will be hidden except for those two return jets.

rodahl, Keith and MarcelM like this.
  6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Me to i did some calculating and a sump filter is actualy way cheaper to make compaired too the cost of any suitable cannister filter available in the LFS. And logicaly thinking, the space isn't so much of an isue, the sump doesn't actualy needs to be so big at all. There is no size rule for a sump filter.. If a 15 liter cannister filter is sufficient than a 15 liter sump cant be unsufficient. Now make the sump for convinience a bit bigger like 25 liters in a 40x25x25 cm tank, than you still have a very sufficient filter setup wich is much more versatile than a cannister. A cannister is a static closed device with a build in pump. In a small tank you can place any pump you like and even make it an aerated moving bed. The only thing to take in consideration is the stand pipe has to be placed that way the sump will never be flooded and can take the flow.

People stare a blind eye on the mainly exaggerated oversized sump filters you'll see around. But they don't need to be so big. People make 'm big for the reason, more water is kept stable more easily. :)

7. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    The other reason for my sump design is to allow for all the equipment, its not needed but keeps the main tank free of equipment and also its the size I have available, costing me less.

As the cabinet is 120cm long it still leaves me with 60cm x 60cm of floor space just for a co2 cannister and maybe Dosing on bottles etc.

2 large cannisters won't be far off this space? I know the eheim 600 is 300mm wide x 2

Keith and MarcelM like this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Yes Jason, that's also i convinience comming with sumps.. Tho if size is an isue, you still could go for in line solution like heating and diffusers to keep the sump size to a minimum.. I did a lot of reading and thinking about sumps, their possibilities and advantages.. I think there is no better filter technique available in the aquarium area.
    And also for your tank size, when it only comes to the filtering part a 54 liter tank the same demensions as the 2 Eheims together will be sufficient. After all it has the same volume as the cannisters.. :)

9. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Wood for the cabinet has been ordered today and should be here later in the week.

25mm x 1220mm x 2440mm WBP Plywood.

For most of the cabinet I am doubling up on the panels for example all the uprights will be 2 x 25mm glued together giving me a 50mm thickness at both end and middle supports after researching this and visiting a few lfs its a lot more than most of the big names use.

I was actually shocked at some of the big name cabinets (15mm or 18mm) that people actually buy and trust!

I'll post some pictures of the process as it comes together.

10. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Marcel that's my thinking the media volume will be the same as two large cannisters but with the added bonus of integrated equipment.

I will loose another 100mm due to the thickness of the cabinet sides but it still leaves me with 500mm space to play with for co2 bottles etc.

I priced up the acrylic for this and its £52 + pump. Bargain!

I also priced up a few 120x60x75cm cabinets, conti board would cost £280 made and 18mm ply was £480! So far the 25mm ply wood cost me £86 delivered :)

+ primer + spray paint

glue and screws I already have.

MarcelM likes this.
  11. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Once I have the cabinet built I'll order the tank and plumbing as I want tidy pipework and will mock up the plumbing drilling holes etc first before priming and spraying for a better finish.

12. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Jason, i'm very curious about what you're planning to make. :) Sounds like a very sturdy cabinet.
    Regarding the sump, you could use the side you're placing the pump as a moving bed area.. With the K1 beats or other moving bed media and an airpump added for the movement. This seems to be the best amonia and nitrite solution available.
    As example this idea.

Greenfinger2 and Jason King like this.
  13. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Marcel, the cabinet I'm planning on using for many years, so do a good job the first time and it will last ;) I hope :)

Thanks for the video, I looked into this type and its great but my only concern is noise. another reason I chose the bean animal overflow.

Saying that the one In the video is massive so I imagine thats the reason for the excess dB :)

14. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    :) Jason, the only noise would be the airstone bubbling.. Small sumps don't need so much of that.. :)

15. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    This Is what I was thinking no different from an air stone in the tank? plus I've planned a cover for this section.

16. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

Depending how the cabinet 18ml is extremely strong if you are using a marine plywood its strength is greater.

There is a USA DIY forum that make tank stands out of heavy building timbers that would support a heavy car.

Can you give me a good scale drawing with the tank and sump please, remember I am a retired cabinet maker and taught the trade for 26years.

One of my Industrial design courses we had to make a seat/stool out of corrugated cardboard if made correctly you would be surprised of its strength.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

Jason King and MarcelM like this.
  17. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I converted a tiny HOB filter with and airstone and k1 beats.. In reality i hear the mormal sound of air bubbles as if it was in the tank. Even less because ot only runs on airpumps 25% cappicity.. In the video it sounds like a train rolling by, but thats just the cameras mic sensetivety. This is how it moves now in there after 3 weeks maturing.
    But this is just a tiny version, but it works.. :)

Greenfinger2, rodahl and Jason King like this.
  18. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the video Marcel, clever idea with the hob, I'll look into this more when I'm at that stage, I'm concentrating on the cabinet now and Keith I will post an image asap, the wood was ment to be delivered today but unfortunately the delivery company never turned up :(

The delivery company is called TNT so I nicked named then tomorrow not today :)

Keith the cabinet uprights will be 2 x 25mm so support will be more than enough, based on the cabinet from the big aquarium manufacturing companies there cabinets will look like toys.

Ill get the diagram up as mentioned asap.

19. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thank you too jason, that's what these forums are for, sharing thoughts and ideas and helping eachother along the way.
    Funny we're planning a sump at the same time.. :) Going to be interesting..

TNT in UK?? tnt is a Dutch company they took over PTT long time ago.. PTT was run by the goverment back than, they sold it to the pricvat sector and became TNT.. So the are going international now. My nephew worked a long time for tnt. Lots of problems with that company, because it is in privat hands now, personel gets no screening and swapped alot, only take cheap young labor, working part time during study or as second job...

20. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    That's interesting, I know TNT have been working in the UK for many years, at least 15 years as when I worked for a high voltage electrical company they used to use TNT for delivery of the very large cable reels.