1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason's 120x60x45 Tank & Setup - modified eaReef 1200S

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by Jason King, Nov 8, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Nice work Jason!! :clap:(y) Looks pretty solid.. Good luck with testing.. Might need a bit of tweaking here and there.. But i see no reason for any big issues.. (y)

Btw good thinking with the foam and driling the holes.. :)

Jason King likes this.
  2. Jason King

Jason King Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Marcel im sure it will be fine :nervous: :)

I made one small change / mistake after fitting it while the silicone was still wet and shortened the gap between the two partitions / baffles so I can change / rotate the larger pump position giving me room for the small pump and co2 return etc, if I left it as my original plan the two pumps would be touching.

It's not really an issue as it still does the same job? I'm glad I relised before it dried.

I also fitted the air vents to the cabinet.

MarcelM likes this.
  3. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Change of plan about testing the Filter tonight! , I've just got the smaller pump delivered to find it broken in a sealed box :(

Waiting on a reply from LFS.

20151215_153136.

The larger pump is a xmas gift from my wife :D and is all wrapped up until Xmas day.

4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

That is a stinker.

Rough handling or broken before sold.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

5. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, I asked the wife :) if I could check my Xmas present the large pump to check juat in case and I noticed that the small pump never had any internal cardboard separating the individual parts inside like the large pump has, so it seem that either eheim quality control, packaging had made a mistake or its a returned item that has not been checked?

Either way I'm still waiting on the reply from the lfs.

6. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    A better photo of the sump overflow from the back onto the drip tray and into the media chamber

2015-12-16 04.36.41.

7. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

Contact the UK Eheim direct.

We had one LFS that would sell bits and pieces from the new boxes and not replace them.

A Eheim Rep told me that ages ago.

Jason King likes this.
  8. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I decided to test this manually using a bucket and everything seems great :)

Each chamber is watertight against the next one.

When testing i tipped the bucket into the first chamber faster than I needed and the flow from each chamber is fast and works as planned (y)

2015-12-16 07.43.56.

Keith and MarcelM like this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

That is great no leaks.

10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Nice work Jason.. :) That's the only one realy needing to be water tight, since it (must) house the heaters. If the sump ever drains this one stais full with water. A dry heater is fatal we can't have that happening. Funny actualy, well not funny at all, be we are having about the same project at the same time and my pump also arrived broken 4 days ago. It has a broken bearing and makes noise like hell.

Contacted the supplier, he didn't reply, i payed with paypal and opened a dispute asking a solution or a refund, uploaded pictures and a video. And than he suddenly knows how to reply. Says no refund, not my problem, caused by water impurities, no free shopping at my shop. But i can send other bearing. The idiot starts being offensive and acusing me of braking the thing myself and want to do some free shopping as well. :mad:.. Well that's internet purchasing.. :cautious:... They are intitled to mistrust us and let us pay in advance.. And than send crap and we still do not get the same trust back?? last time i ordered from that short minded company.. :cautious:

11. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    That's bad news and bad customer service, he won't last long at that rate.

The company I ordered from are normally pretty good and also voted LFS of the year 2015+ other years.

The strange thing here is that the box was sealed? But had obviously been tampered with or eheim packers are not as good as the name once was, its comes after my second external Filter packed in just after the guarantee runs out, the products I've gotten from eheim lasted for years and years, I just hope this is just my bad luck and that the company has not become a cheap material manufacturer at rolls Royce prices.

12. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Saying that I'm still waiting on a reply myself :)

13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I'll hope you get it sorted out without much issues..

I don't see my proper bearing i need for that thing arive very soon if it ever does. Why would they, the money is already in the pocket. Luckely it's a quite standard teflon bearing used in many other pumps to stabilize the impeler, so i can interchange with some pumps i have and do not use.. But still it sucks that also suppliers like this roam the net. That's a calculated risk we have to take to get things cheaper. :( :)

14. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Good news is replacement pump coming tomorrow :)

Marcel its still not an excuse for a trader to react this way, I would still take it further if you have to pay more.

Water quality has nothing to do with it, unless the pump stats for soft water only lol :)

15. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Small update on the co2 reactor and the part I mentioned to return any wasted co2 back to the sump.

2015-12-17 05.24.07.

16. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

When Eheim replaced the Pro3 filter head it took over a month they even sent the wrong model.

17. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    That's bad, so another month for another replacement?

It's a shame that they have gone this way, I'm just hoping that the eheim universal pumps I have last as long as they should do, reading lots of reviews they are still highly rated pumps, but its easy to rate something you just got, maybe rating a product 2 or 3 years later would be a good review?

Don't get me wrong the products I had have been brilliant up to that 3 year mark but when my pro3e cost £450 it means £150 per year works out expensive and I'm probably better off just getting a cheaper one that last two years but works out better value in the end.

The very cheap fluval 206 or 205? in my mums frog tank is over three years old now and still running, it makes more noise than the eheim but once the cabinet doors are closed you can't hear it.

18. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

The problem in Aust was the Aust distributer many years ago they had a fantastic distributer plus excellent state reps.

Now ???

19. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Some updates and this will be it until after Xmas as I can't really do much now until the tank arrives up to 12 weeks :/ then once the tank is in place I can get on with the rest of the plumbing instead of just guessing! :)

2015-12-17 10.35.00. 2015-12-17 10.35.32. 2015-12-17 10.36.23. 2015-12-17 10.37.00.

My estimated date of finish is march, Im really looking forward and excited about seeing this run and aquascaping this, the only problem is I have to many ideas for aquascapes, the first one will be "kis" while I test everything is running as I planned.

MarcelM likes this.
  20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

WOW that is certainly plenty of filtration, how often would you completely clean it ?

Jason King likes this.