1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a test paludarium..

Discussion in 'Riparium & Paludarium General Discussion' started by MarcelM, Aug 17, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I had a lot of mosses and plants in the propagator (Still have) and confiscated my daphnia breeding tank to try something out. Had some big rocks i actualy want to use in my next tank i need to get started befor the winter hits in. For my goldfish which are now in the terras pond.. So i thought make a nano paludarium, so i already can see how it looks and jumpstart some mosses and ferns on it..So this little scape will actualy move to a tank as is now without the wood in a few months. As 1/3 part of a rock scape i already have on my mind for a while. So the goldfish will get a nice exciting playground for the winter. this tank will be in the bathroom and ill make a sort of riparium of it i think.

One of the experiments i did in this litle tank is growing hc on pieces of filter sponsh. :) With succes, so i can squeez it in between cavities of hardware and give it a flexible hold and a ferm substrate to root. it works great as you can see in pic DSCN3698 (Kopie).JPG

In the top left of the last pic you see a Biophytum sensitivum in a major transplant shock.. now i know why it's called a sensitivum i alsmost killed my most favorite plant ever with repotting. :( Shouldn't have done that..

this one ive called (was two-stone) Tombstone.

Attached Files:

#1 MarcelM, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    You have some very nice arrangements there it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I got the fever.. :)

4. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Looking great:love: The DW in the middle is it in the water at the back ?? If not it will dry out.

Told you doing this stuff is addictive :D

MarcelM likes this.
  5. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    That driftwood you mean? Isn't driftwood at all. :) It's an old root piece of a broken Hydrangea stem, which wraped itself climbing around a pole. Thats a once in a life time find. :) Did dig it out pulled the pole out and left it to dry for a very long time. I tried it out unthreated first but it kept developing fungus so i had to threat it with a layer of epoxy resin to make it waterproof and not mould. Also it was light colored as Hydrangea wood naturaly is so added some teak color to it to get a rain forest feel to it. Downside epoxy is it did shine like a billart cue for a year, this is slowly going away now.. And there is one side where it looks like a turd.. :notworthy:

Made a little container from such a fruit net and a piece of wire filled it up with sphagnum and a pepromia in it these are perfect en very hardy ephyfites. And squeezed that into the hole where the pole once was and draped some mosses to it to cover the net. Did put a lump of sphagnum in the hole beneath that and there is some HC now and a forgot the name plant. A Taiwanese Bulb orchid to it on which is very slow on sphagnum and a Nephentes on sphagnum. Nepentheses i never have luck with.. I guess not many people are thats why we dont see them so often in hour hobby. :)

You guys make it worse.. :sneaky: Nah :ROFLMAO: just kidding, better actualy.. :wabi-kusa:

Attached Files:

#5 MarcelM, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Congratulations the photographs are a great improvement, the forth photo is the perfect example of that.

They all look very simple KIS but at the same time all, the photos are very interesting and full of detail.

MarcelM likes this.
  7. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Keith.. :) i'll keep trying..

Keith likes this.
  8. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Wonderful photos :clap: The Hydrangea stem You did a great job there it looks so natural :love:

The photos of the wood on its own :love: That would make a fab Kokedama(y)

MarcelM likes this.
  9. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks roy. :)
    Ill do something new with that stem when the rocks from this Palu go to the other tank after the fall. :) I definitively going to look in on kokedama ideas.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  10. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
  11. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Roy infected me with his Kokedama idea.. Took the wood out the paludarium and filled the tank up.. :oops: Its an aquarium now.. i definitely need to try a Kokedama as well..
    This scape is a tryout and will move soon anyways as the left part of a bigger rock scape i'm planning for the goldfish.

It will gradualy sloop down to the right in another 50 cm next to it. With a planted plateau at the back.. Then ill make a new paludarium from this litlle tank. :)

Attached Files:

Greenfinger2 and Keith like this.
  12. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

To save any confusions in a Aquascape I prefer to use the same type and colours of the rocks.

13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    That's the hardest part of aquascaping :)especialy rocks are the most difficult to find or gather a nice fitting set.It's easy to go to a garden shop and buy what you want. But i more like to find and gather all hardware as i find them in nature and use that. The stones color is always a guess many times, Actualy i should go out with a spraybottle with water to find out how it looks when wet. The other tank is filled with rocks a all found in nature within a few yards radius. And thought if nature provides us with this diversity in such small radius why not try to get this harmoniously in a smal tank. Realy need to make a photo shoot very soon :) i realy like to know what you all think about it.

That little tank above was just a quicky with what i had laying around in the yard, till now i havet gathered so much. It wasn't ment as a long term show piece. I also trew stones in there to grow moss on it to use it later in the other scape. I kinda also use it as a propagator tank. One day i found that big stone on the left. It's kinda dirty i found it in sticky clay and thought it was a matter of a good rub and wash. It's a very special rock with nice texture, it shows many mysterious details of what mother nature did with it trough the ages. But it's a real ice age boulderclay rock. The brown clay is deep inbeded in the black stone i've work many hours on it to clean it, acids, dremmel tool, coocking, sanding, but gave up at one time. I'm kinda in love with this rock and kept thinking of using it in a scape. So i just gave it a try in this one to see it in a setup and think about it.

this is the backside of that rock it's totaly different as the other side. It looks like it's melted off. it's a strange rock. And still have no idea wath other rocks could accompany it, i need to find a place where other boulderclay rocks surface and have same texture.
    yrKxMvh.

14. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

That is a beautiful multi colored rock but is it suitable for an Aquascape that is a matter of opinion, excellent shape and texture but its the while marbling effect.

The first thing I see is not the shape or texture its the big white bottom left.

When I was judging Aquascapes I would have to deduct marks for the hardscape.

But its my only my opinion.

15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Well it's a highly respected opinion, not just an opinion :) an experienced and well trained eye always sees many more things as an anthouisastic newbe. So many thanks for the input.. The newbe maybe sees it often when it's far to late and much more difficult to do some about it...

My first thought when i found this stone it it needs to be covered with mosses and depending on which side is in view ephifytes. Like the side on the picture is very smooth in texture and has many cavities where ferns could root and indeed that big white lump is a very bright and distracting focal point. In that little tank i went with the other side which is more straight and has a rougher surface texture. But has a large brown stain on it which makes it kinda look dirty and black/grey, brown and white? Difficult color combination.. I have mosses on it now and they still need to grow in. this stone needs time and thought and than still may not work out.

my focus on this little scape is actualy only on the 2 big stones to create a higher terrace bhind it and work down to the right. The smaller stone next to it is ardenne stone also has a tiny bit brown in it, i think the big one is also ardenne. I need to make a trip to the ardennes to find more.. :) In the garden centre ardenne is also to find but these rocks are tubmled to take sharp edges off and therefore look different in texture.

Attached Files:

16. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Marcel%20Rock%2025.8.15%20%20Kopie_edited-1.

Here is a suggestion grow a tall grass leafy plant like thin Val I also painted the back to hide what was behind it.

With all the colours on that rock its very confusing the original looks like two rocks but the white marbling matches up.

Forget the coloring that rock is full of character and texture.

I would be tempted to try the reverse side of that rock but not square on again with the low edge forward.

That is one of the main points of making up a mock set up you can move, twist and turn the hardscape to get the best you can.

If you had a longer tank it might even look great laying on the long edge.

A tank full of those rocks large and small might be worth looking into.

17. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    That's a nice suggestion Keith :) thanks. These two rocks you see in the complete picture of this 40 cm tank i'm planing o try in my next larger tank. This tank will be a shallow 80 x 40 x 30 cm.. Next month i'm planning to build the stand for it. When that's ready i got a suitable base to try the hardware layout first and see how it might work all out. After i'm satisfied with that i will need to build the tank and can addapt it's measures in length and hight by some centimeters regarding the hardwares layout if it suits better. i think can go to 90 cm lenght if i like. Depending the weather it needs to be ready around november so i can move the ponds goldfish in for the winter.

The reverse side of this rock is even more difficult, it's realy smooth and shiny and has a polished character. And it has holes, cavities and dimples. only suitable stones i can think of going with that are larger black marbled riverstones (pebbles). It's such a deviant stone when reversed, i've looked at ir for hours and wondered what happend to it to form this way. a picture cant realy show that. maybe you'll see when i tryout the ideas dry on the stand.. :)

Found another mind bogling oddly beautifull and challanging stone i realy have to show you. It's in the pond now semi submersed, i'll take it out and shoot some pictures of it. Also i stone which turn multicolor when wet and makes you think what the hell i'm i going to do with that. :)

18. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Rocks are like nothing else when it comes to hardscaping it might look average in one situation and if the right positioning and plants are used it all of a sudden becomes the hero of your work.

19. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith,

Indeed :) today i visited scapefu and saw a picture of a wonderfull scape.. actualy with about the same rocks as mine. I had to lauch, 1 rock had almost the same shape as well. It's a recent scape from a recent contest.. Cant seem to find the link back.. :) George farmer and another guy, grey with beard he made it i think. :)

Ah here it is.. :) He stole my stone!! :ROFLMAO:
    http://scapefu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_9405-25.jpg

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Someone might know the name of that rock.