1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just an idea maybe more..

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping General Discussion' started by MarcelM, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    :) I have an idea on my mind for quite some time now. I already tested it with a set of buckets and the principle actualy works as i thought. Because by laws of nature it just should work. Tested it anyway.

I'm thinking of an aquascape designed with twin tanks next to eachother. :) It shall be 2 low tech nano cubes.

But i would like to make them like communicating vessels.. so i would like to connect them with a lets say 80mm acrylic tube bend in a U shape (maybe 2, 1 at the left 1 at the right side). These tubes will be on top and filled with water and by the laws of vacuum stays filled and wont drain.

Tank 1 gets the filter inlet and tank 2 gets the filter outlet. Now because they function as communicating vessels the water level in both tanks always stays the same. What i pump into tank 2 gets sucket out of tank 1

I made a simple litte drawing to maybe make the idea a little clearer. :) Now the fish i like to put in there maybe a pair of dwarf puffers and some thet goes good with them, i know they are very intelligent and like to explore. I kinda expect them not to take long to discover the tubes and venture from one tank to the other and back.

Theoreticaly i dont see any problems why this shouldn't work, running 2 tanks like that on 1 filter and heater.. Flow wont be a big issue since it will be low tech.

i just want to like your opinions on this.. what do you think? Would an idea like this work. Are there any problems i could run into i haven't thought of..Before i start constructing and spend money on something doomed to fail.. :confused: You even may call me totaly crazy, i can handle that.. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: Still it's just an idea thats haunting me for some time now. o_O

Attached Files:

2. Keith

Keith Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

I have seen similar setups in LFS but there could be concerns if you have fish.

To stop movement its just a matter of covering the inlet and outlet using a filter sponge.

The biggest problem diseases can pass from one tank to another very quickly.

It would be perfect if you were using the tanks for plants only.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the input Keith. :) I've seen it as well on youtube people indeed just making a bridge from one tank to the other, I think that indeed isn't a good idea because it where seperate tanks (biotopes) by itself and the possible differnt parameters each tank could contain. Fish hopping around between 2 differnt biotopes might not be always so healthy for them. The idea by itself i thought was funny and thought this can maybe be done and make it running as if it is 1 tank with 1 and the same water collum.

If i make something like that i'm not planning to load it with life stock, if it will be minimal. And indeed also keep it just planted the first months and monitor the parameters closely to get to know what realy happens in there. Because it will run only on one filter the quality of the water collum in both tanks will constantly be the same, it could be considered just 1 tank. Regarding life stock i was thinking of dwarf puffers only, just a pair or a little harem. I know they need much room for them selfs and best kept in a special setup only for them. So i need at least 2, 40 liter cubes if i go on with it. The health and well being of the fish are always my first consern

Im just thinking this trough and want to ask opinions what other experienced people think about i maybe didn't think of. :)

4. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

I think Jason has a system worked out for his plant breading room.

5. Jason

Jason Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Marcel you have already seen my plant setup but this is slightly different as mine are drilled and not at the very top.

Aquarium over flow boxes may work? but make sure the flow is adjustable just incase tank one does not release the water quick enough into tank two or you will end up with tank one flooding and tank two empty.

As I mentioned in my Emersed setup if I up the water flow to much tub one fills too fast for the outlet emptying the sump and filling the tub. When I reduce the flow everything is perfect and the water is released into the next tub and so on.

I'm not sure how your idea will or will not work but if you get two small tubs and make a mockup first pouring water into tub one and see if it goes into tub two, you get the idea :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aquarium+overflow+box&oq=aquarium+over+flow&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.5881j0j4&client=ms-android-hms-tef-gb&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8

Will give you an idea on the flow boxes I'm on about but I'm not sure if these will work as they are made for sumps that seat at a lower level.

6. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    P.s your not crazy :ROFLMAO: I think its good to experiment and learn. It's the only way to say yes or no :)

Have a mop and bucket ready (y)

7. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Jason.. :LOL: Mopping? :eek: Darn i need to find a housekeeper who doesn't mind..

But those overflow boxes indeed work with the same principle.. never seen them before. But they have some i could use.. That's a good one..
    What i would need is these parts from an overflow box.. But the largest i found till now are 1,5" and i need them like at least 3" so about double the size or larger.
    $T2eC16Z,!%29EE9s2uiQRyBR0YmLm52Q~~60_12.JPG

If these are filled with water and hung over the top from 2 tanks connecting that way, they stay full because it pulls a vacuum even if the pump is off. The wider they are the more flow they can handle. if i use like 2 U tubes 3"each they could probably easily handle the pumps flow and those 2 tanks will function as one closed system. I've tested it simply with 2 buckets and a piece of hose bend in a u connecting the buckets. If you sifon water out of 1 bucket the water level in the other bucket always levels it's waterline with the first bucket they empty perfectly equaly.

And indeed as you say if you start filling the other bucket again you have to make sure that this equals the drainage. But actualy if you pump it in a circle you pump excactly the same amount out of bucket 1 as you put into bucket 2. Thats what's actualy makes it an open top closed system with 1 water collum for both tanks. If the U tubes are large enough and the system works good enough regarding filtration for both tanks. So it can hold life stock those tubes could provide as passage ways. It's not necesary but having f.e. little puffers using the tubes as passage from one tank to another and back and feeling good with it. That would be a stunning twin setup looking like a Puffer Bross video game. If it works i see puffers as the best choise to hold in there, the way they can hoover and curiousity they have, they figger it out in no time and use it.

Finding or making those acrylic U tubes in 3" rather 4" will be a challange. I have to inform with the supplier if he can bend it. o_O :D

Keith and Jason like this.
  8. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
  9. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Yup that's the idea as the drawing attached to the opening post.. :) The U pipes need to be big enough to take the flow with ease and so level the water in tanks togheter without delay and be comfortable enough for a dwarf puffer to use as an elevator up and down again in between the tanks. Just as if it is 1 tank, 1 biotoop with the same water collum. Both tanks shall be setup as if it is 1 scape cut in 2 pieces and ripped apart. like two 40 liter tanks make one spliced 80 liter tank . Like take 1 bigger stone brake it in half and place each half in it own tank in a way like the space between the tanks is the crack between the two halves of the stone. something like that.

That's also why the U tubes need to be so large in diameter thet need to be a part of the scape not just practical objects. They need to be the focal point for its title

"The Communicating Vessels" :p:confused::cool:

I think i did read to many Jules Verne stories as a kid.. :ROFLMAO:

10. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Keith likes this.
  11. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thats excactly what my concern will be.. I just don't know till i try.. Ill first need to give that a test tryout with simple pvc pipe first. maybe try it out with 2 smal 20 liter tanks and scale it all down 50%.. I wont make it high tech so flow wont be an issue in that..

12. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    moss-maniac and MarcelM like this.
  13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Or an extra hang on filter with a nice fern in it.. :) i think i rather do that.. I just cant help it i like to strip my tanks of everything in it what's not living. that's why i wanted everything in line.. Yesterday i ordered the inline difuser.. :rolleyes: I'm planing to use a powerhead in my next tank with a river peble bottom to create well oxygenated bottom flow maybe for a Pleco and 'm thinking how i can hide it in a rock tunnel. :ROFLMAO:

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
  15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    A ukaps member did that with his shrimp tank with a huge nice microsorum fern in it.. It realy looks stunning.. I did copycat that, already have the filter hanging now but not yet the microsorum.. Did put some moss in and a mini bolbitis, the microsorum comes in later when i find a suitable one. I'm still in boubt if it will be the M. crocodilo or another one. :)

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  16. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Experimenting and making your own bits and pieces can be great fun providing it works as planned even if it takes a few alterations along the way.

Greenfinger2 likes this.