1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

learning from a setback

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping General Discussion' started by Paraguay, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    My aqua-one 980 has seen a few changes its been low tech and eventually CO2 high tech ,although its gravel only substrate I believe all in all generally growing"easy plants" over the years its been successful I feel for plant growth, with the external filter and CO2 being brought in I changed the hood t8 lighting and aqua one overhead filter for the external and raised t5 luminaire.Home to several tetra species recently a couple of fish died so I moved all remaining fish to my quarantine and a other small tank. All are ok. So going off numbers it appears another fish must have died in the tank unbeknown to me and affected water quality so my lesson learned a head count every day from now on. Another thing now the tanks stripped down, I had used at variuos times root tablets but read conflicting reports of effectiveness as regards the plants,but I had then used clay balls from a shrimp supplier,I discovered the clay balls spread into the gravel therefore it was a gunky mess underneath,so with that and fish poo I had a good substrate all along

2. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    My son informs me the gravel went in in 2005 I thought it was more 2008

3. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay.

I think I could write pages of things I finally learnt along the way. When I first started it was rely on the LFS only and, the rare international magazines. I remember being amazed when I saw my first UGF. Computers I don't think I even heard that word at all.

In other words I learnt by my mistakes.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

4. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I think thats part of the thing about the hobby Keith we are always learning no matter were we are at . Many a newcomer will leave ,particulary the fish keeping aspect, at first time of issues without proper research. The internet has advantages, but shame not more dedicated shops too.Already looking forward to redoing the this aquarium:)I was surprised the amount of greenery I now have in washing up bowls,buckets and put into the other tanks

moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay

If you are restart I strongly suggest you make a Mock Tank first, you will be surprised how easy it is working from the front not the top of a tank.

Paraguay likes this.
  6. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Will be doing that Keith, might do a sketch first as some of the exsisting wood with Java Fern and moss will go back

Keith likes this.
  7. TimHarrison

TimHarrison Super Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Be nice to see some pics of your progress.

Paraguay and Keith like this.
  8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay

My sketching is always very rough I would sketch it out on white paper the actual size of the tank. Unless you are good at drawing to scale rough is quick and very easy to do.

Something I learnt over 40 years ago when do an Architectural design course, naturally it was never full size its was just a few thoughts you had.

Paraguay likes this.
  9. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Keith and Paraguay like this.
  10. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you will take a look Evelyn

moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  11. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay
    Its worth looking at and see how you go.

moss-maniac likes this.
  12. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thought just give a slight were I am. All remaining fish split in 3 tanks have done well . The Glowlights many showed signs of finrot on the dorsal fin , definitly due to the watrer quality issue in the Aqua One, all fully recovered and looking well only used Melafix daily rather than more severe meds, lost some plants but the javas split in 2 tanks started to look well now low tech of course.Decided to give my Gold Barbs away to a nearby aquarist as the situation in my tanks too small for them, they are several years old so mixed feelings but its best for them in circumstances. Will set up the Aqua -one but slowly as I want to really plan the aquascape Thanks for all your suggestions and help everyone

moss-maniac, Keith and TimHarrison like this.
  13. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Good to hear they recovered Paraguay,

I am curious to your new aquascape... (y)

Paraguay likes this.
  14. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
  15. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    This what my usual tanks end up a bit jungly would like to go for a mix of quite large rock with branched wood and mosses with a open area for fish and thinking of more more smaller leave stems with java fern in font to give a sense of scale. The Aqua-One with its bow front is not the best for aquascaping thoughBy the way my electrics are neater and safer than in the picture :oops: think I was doing work on it then:)

16. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay,

There is nothing wrong with the natural looking planted tank. Keep it well trimmed and it will look even better.

Build your self a mock tank and start playing around with what you would like to do. Treat it as a massive learning curve.
    [​IMG]

If you can try to post your photos are the main part not all around the room. Reason being its very distracting.

I have cropped the photo to explain what I am referring to.

I have cropped it to remove all those small stones. Your Aquascape would look a lot better if you removed all the small stones and added more of the same Substrate to about where the bottom of the photo is.

17. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay

The mock tank it can be made from a cardboard box as long as its the same size and height of your sank. The substrate can be sand, even garden soil.
    [​IMG]

moss-maniac likes this.
  18. TimHarrison

TimHarrison Super Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I don't know Keith, I kind of like looking at other folks houses, especially their fancy wallpaper :D And it's always nice to see the tank in situ, always seems to give some context.
    I Guess you're right though, if you want that clean shot to show the tank off to its best it's usually better to keep external distractions to a minimum.
    That's very true and all things considered I think you've done an excellent job of scaping this one; it's a nice jungle scape :)

moss-maniac likes this.
  19. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Well the setback gave me an opportunity ,rising out of the ashes to rescape. So that is how it was pic when took hood off for T5 open top, but I want to challenge myself a little with a more of a organised scape, I was giving plants away weekly at one stage having to trim regularly although the LFS took some a neighbour had quite a few quite funny I gave him a idea of what he needed to do but kept asking for plants what would grow as the ones Igave perished so I gave up on him(n) Keith your cropped photo shows me I would prefer something like the Evolution Aqua or even the Cleasil from on the landing but house politics( you know who:unsure: ) may prevent it as it was originally my sons tank. Thank you Keith for advice and tips, and thank you Tim for your nice comment on the aquascape

moss-maniac and TimHarrison like this.
  20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Paraguay

I don't think the the family will mind once you explain what is being done to improve the tank.

Re the photos there is nothing wrong in showing where the tank is situated in a room sometimes it is asked for that photo to check if it is in the best location eg not in front of a window and always having algae concerns. Some members are excellent in presenting a tank photo. It certainly helps when a critique is requested.

A few years back a member (not GBG) had a very bad Algae concern and all the photos showed not close to a window. For some reason I asked about over head light and there it was a very large window in the ceiling.

Keith :cathug::cathug:

moss-maniac, Paraguay and TimHarrison like this.