1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lonely tree in a summer meadow

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by aibcarpentry, Dec 1, 2018.

1. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
  2. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    As I think there is a very fine line between tactful and tactless - I can try it, if it doesn't work then just take it off and put the black back on. ;)
    I'm thinking back over this and the header stones that are on already I might take off, clean them up and go again with some clear and add some play sand as you suggested.
    Something I thought about before but was unsure if it would look right, however now I'm looking towards a path I'm going to need to use some sand in that to make the joints a little more 'natural'
    -As for adding 'rocks' I am looking to add some small; but interesting looking pieces of slate into the mound(s) here and there but that can be done after planting.
    -Anubias are also on my list and think they will 'snuggle' into some of the gaps in the walls etc; there are some nice smaller leaved versions I think will suit.
    -Planting has always planned to be a carpet all over of some description; MC, HC, some kind of Eleocharis but I am open to different plants - research will be done when I finalise the hardsape.
    Moss is something I have no experience of and need to have a bit more of a look as I believe it can very quickly take some things over once established o_O
    100% agree @Keith and thank you @moss-maniac
    I had always intended to increase and reshape the soil behind the wall once I had finished it (the wall) as I'm able to alter the wall with ease given the flexible silicone.
    As you know I plan to 'cause damage' to the wall yet; in particular the piece where the fallen branch is and also around the tree trunk as if it had caused the damage through growing into the wall.
    Do you think it needs more than that - if so how and where?
    I had planned a little something like Rotala Bonsai which I like the look of and can colour up very nicely

Onto my next project to ask opinion on.............
    I think I need to add to the existing proposed wall and tree which as mentioned before I think could be done using a kind of tumbled countryside path inspired by the photo below.
    At the moment I am just having a play around with a rough shaping and scaling of the path
    I'd build it again with slate as a material and going back to Evelyn's idea about the sand just have a try with some selected pieces and use the play sand used as a 'grout' with the silicone to see how it looks.
    I'm keen not to make things look too symmetrical and think the piece of Proplex to be used as a backing needs some work both in shape and scale so I'm again open to suggestions. ;)

path.

W0558.

I referred to me having 2 views of my aquarium and although not this close these are the angles I see things from which might help explain why I like the substrate layered the way it is.

view. view1.

moss-maniac, Paraguay and Keith like this.
  3. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew
    You are on the way now that new pathway keep it very rough in fact the rougher the better. Taper it off this will help to give you the effect of greater distance.
    Just do a little at a time it's going to be a trial and error for a while.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

4. Paraguay

Paraguay Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    The tree looks so good it could lend itself to something dramatic in the background(as moss maniac suggests) a " british" grey cloudy bleak but perhap filtered sun rays slightly breaking it up on a typical moorland scene or something bright and bluer as you might find in a mediteranian olive field

Keith and moss-maniac like this.
  5. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Keith, I do think it needs to be a little narrower and the slate was only laid on to show the balance either side at the front corner at both of my viewing angles.
    I'm also considering just a sand path with a bit of added detail but it would be stuck to the plastic to stop it blowing everywhere.
    I've had the thought about some cloud for a while and know this idea is very much not organic or natural with regard to hardscape so tactful and tactless.have very fine margins.
    Some nice dark grey/blue/white storm clouds I do think could look nice, I'm not so sure about the brighter skies given the hardscape I've chosen.
    I need to work more on the path and am considering some different constructions and maybe veer away from slate completely and experiment with a sandy/pebble mix although this is on the list of 'to consider'
    Suggestions welcome. ;)

One thing to just make clear is I'm not looking to make something completely organic, natural or non man made so not following normal rules although it will still be a planted aquarium

Keith likes this.
  6. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    :) Thank you very much, too, Andrew,

just for inspiration: a new form of pathway and some (not too big) "shrubs", that cover the way particularly to give the landscape more perspective ?

a.

Keith likes this.
  7. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I'd aimed the wall at that corner due to the 2 main viewing angles I have so I would get the detail from both. Ill have a revisit and see how tour suggestion looks from 2nd view but think it's hidden.
    I would add a bit more wall along the wall if I went along the lines of what I first showed in plastic, I think it's hard to judge the scale needed but know it's too big as is.
    Any suggestions on path construction(s)

8. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    I think it is not bad, if it is hidden - and if you have to move a bit to "look around the corner".

Much more to discover in this way ...

My suggestion: Path with bigger pieces and pebbles in the front, sandy pebble mix in the middle , only very fine pebbles ad sand in the back....

Keith likes this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

GBG is only small which is helping you far more than another Forum. When I saw Evelyn's pathway with a few suggestions I said WOW WOW I know you can do it and it will take you to the next level of Aquascaping a great simple yet an excellent layout design.
    You will never get any stupid postings on GBG and I am thinking it will help you a lot more.

moss-maniac likes this.
  10. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Listened and noted; I will cut a piece of plastic and see how it looks from position 2, I think it maybe lost from there which to me would be a bad thing; especially when the view is diffracted at the corner which you wouldn't see until there was water in the aquarium so the path in that kind of direction would be half seen/unseen along its length
    I'd thought about the diffraction quite carefully when planning the path although you never know until the tank is full quite how things look..
    I need to find some aquarium paths with a bit more detail and method to see what to try.
    Words of experience are welcome here. ;)

I agree, I just always feel like I'm rubbishing ideas which isn't my intent.

As @Keith mentions 'another forum' and some of the unhelpful comments I received there I've realised a few things in particular 'Aquascape' has become a word that has such varying meaning from person to person and if it is not within a certain criteria is instantly rubbished.
    Since the experimenting with the wall it was neither going to fit the criteria or have a natural or organic look which I am well aware of but making it look tactful and interesting (to me at least) is my goal here.
    Everyone has a different opinion about what is pleasing to their eye and many seem stuck to a planted aquarium has to fall within set criteria to make it aesthetically pleasing, whether that's the case we will see.

moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  11. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

What I am thinking Remember my old brain is thing of the next step after the pathway

This pathway the one Evelyn drew is full of interest. I would make it like the one in this photo.
    Make it look very DIY and rough, note the steps along the way.

Wall forget about it completely until the pathway is finalised as at the moment the wall is very distracting.

I have not forgotten about the wall at all. At the moment your job is to get that pathway perfect first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

moss-maniac likes this.
  12. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I will have a look at things over the coming month or so; have a bit of a play as and when then see where that gets me. ;)

moss-maniac likes this.
  13. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    :) Thank you for your long mail Andrew,

sorry - I only could fly over it , because your English was a bit complicated for me. Hope I understood everything right. (n)
    I prefer to write here, because in my mail account your mails can get lost very easily and if I understood something wrong we will find out this here very much faster :rolleyes:

I understand well, that you want to find out the best solution for yourself immediately - but I am afraid this is really not possible in the very first trial.
    I agree with Keith, at first find the perfect solution for the path and then plant the tank - then it will be easier to think about the wall between the plants.
    I still think, it is a good idea, if you can hardly see the path around the corner, only from a spcial view - this makes your little landscape bigger and more interesting. It is like in a garden - if you can see everything the whole garden from the terrace - it is no more adventure to go into the garden, you have seen already all. If something is a bit hidden behind bushes or hills, you can discover each time something new flowering/growing and so it is worth to go there and have a look. :) Same in your tank.

Hard to give advice to you without seeing, what you will plant and how you will handle the plants at all and also the necessary cleaning of the water after trimming each time.
    It needs time until a carpet has grown, in the meantime you can think, plan on and build examples of walls.
    Once established a carpet can be replanted where you need it, then.
    To make the fields use something extremely flat , than you will have less trimming work later.
    If you want to use HC you could try it perhaps with a so called "dry start". In my tank HC never survived longer than a few months - coud also be, that my snails have eaten the last one...
    I am only a triyal and error aquarist - and very consequent in this ;) - I have not really much sense for aquarium technic or chemistry. Either it works or not.
    I have too many interests at all and too less time. ;) But I am satisfied.:D

A very good collection of plants you can find here: https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
    You can choose all plant attributes like you need it, on the left side.

I suppose the wall has to become much higher in the front and in order to be seen afterwards but how high, depends how often you will cut the plants.To make a natural impression your plants should be like in a painting: bigger in the front, the more far away the smaller...
    I would not choose to many different kind of plants - otherwise your tank will appear very restless...

Yes, why not to let the tree bare - it is also nice bare.

Now it's your turn to show us something, what you all changed in your tank (y) much easier then to speak on about it.

Keith and aibcarpentry like this.
  14. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
  15. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I'm in no rush, just after ideas.
    I'm hoping to use the wall to hold some soil behind and also think I will probably stick either end to the glass as firstly i will keep it's level, it will come away with ease in the future without leaving marks along with stopping me scratching the glass during maintenance. I will have a think over things.
    Noted. (y)
    The ones in front of the wall(s) will most likely be HC or MC so quite low growing.
    Tried and failed with this layout; most likely due to the water not being retained by the higher soil and the front just becoming waterlogged. :(
    MC I have grown with success before and kept it going for quite a while.
    I was thinking HC in the closest fields, MC and Eleocharis in fields farther away but I am not quite decided yet.
    Some Rotala Bonsai to add interest here and there along with some smaller Buces in and around the wall or paths.
    Increasing the wall height is something I had been toying with but also didn't want to make it too high. o_O
    I will get some bits together as and when I have the chance and you can see what you think to things then. :)
    Andrew

16. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Great Andrew,
    it is necessary to take yourself enough time for a scape. (y)

;) I am always too impatient to wait and simply start, and I have at least to grow the plants already, to have a good amount of ready plants, when I plant the setup later.:D:D:D Which is not bad.
    If I plan and start a new scape for myself, I always half of a book of sketchings, model-photos, ideas, crazy ideas etc. - everything is allowed at first - it's a big brainstorming....:cool: From this stuff I develop my scape and often I still use parts of that for another one later. Nothing else than a painter does for a new painting.

Very good - maybe you can put some of the higher plants to the photo, too (f.e. just made of green cardboad silhouettes), to give us a first idea of the landscape scale, too ?
    In this way you can show to us all your different versions very fast. Would be great.(y)

And show us aquarium examples, where you like parts of it. How did you like the aquariums of the links above?

17. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

Brainstorming can be full of crazy ideas as they are only a way of getting your brain into gear. I use large sheets of white paper I get from the Butcher or Fishmonger. Never in a fine pencit good old textra is perfect, remembering its an idea not a working plan.

moss-maniac likes this.
  18. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Oh I'm wanting to get it completed but just know I need to take that step back and look at things a bit more practically so patience is required here.
    As it will all be carpeted out aside from few bits I think it will be easier just to get the plants when I want to plant it as I know they are cheap enough to do so.
    Ah; this is where I am of absolutely no use at all - my artistic skill is zero, something I've never been able to do which is not ideal for aquascaping.
    I think the closest I am getting is a few plastic cut outs of proposed wall lines and paths in the tank. I'm quite confident the main soil levels are where I want them after looking at things and just need to make the other things work with the substrate levels although they will get a fine tuning later.
    I really don't think there will be many higher plants in the provisional layout but you never know!
    HC as the main foreground carpet should allow me to keep a nice low trim on the carpet which would show the wall without too much extra work to it. (aside from completion!)
    I think then it is a case of choosing the carpeting plants for leaf shape and colour.
    There are so many I do and don't like but I'm very mindful of this is something I'm not going to find anything similar too so I'm trying to look through with a mind of picking parts out.
    I noticed filipe oliveira's scape in there which is one I'm not over fond of. Why? - I'm not entirely sure but I just don't really like it!
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/19/e0/c919e087979f209d20594f825b49258e.jpg

I will get looking and experimenting

19. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    If you don't like a work you can learn as well from it Andrew.
    Because then you can think about, how you would like it or make it better.

That is the best, what you can do in order to learn -
    and impressive drawings are not necessary -
    only yourself have to be able to "read" your drawed ideas afterwards...

#39 moss-maniac, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  20. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

All this sounds great now we have you thinking "will it or won't" look great and how can I do it.

This is what I am referring to its a lot easier to do on a blank piece of paper. I used a coloured background as I could not work on a blank space.

Its very rough
    I would often use a red textra
    I am thinking of a big slope walls and pathway and plants and fallen trees/branches.

You do not require drawing skills to do this on paper it should take a minute maybe two minutes.

I would leave alone for at least a few days then next drawing will either be totally different or maybe if I tried this and that

[​IMG]