1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mangrove Bonsai tree in Aquascape

Discussion in 'Bonsai Tree General Discussion' started by MarcelM, Aug 19, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    This is something i haven't seen yet.. :) Already thinking of it quite some time that it would realy be a stunning look to have a real live Mangrove Bonsai growing emersed above an aquascape with it's roots draped over the hardware stone into the tank. Now i've red about techniques to make a bonzai tree grow with its roots naked over rock, so actualy i guess it could be done.

I've seen baby mangrove in fish tanks but that's not quite the same
    And i've seen mangrove bonsai. but never seen the 2 togheter as a complete scape.

Why didnt i do it myself yet. Last year i had the chance :( to get my hands on a mangove seedling, didn't buy it.. I was to late waited to long, this year i couldn't find them anymore. They are rarely offered for sale. And still it would be quite a massive undertaking which would take many years to get there from a seedling.

anyway does somebody know if this is already done? Are there pictures of it? I can''t believe im the first with this fantasy. :)

2. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel This is as close as I could find but no rocks. Great idea I like it :) One thing mangroves live in sea or brackish water ? 06c419434e77c113e4eff942d3a4665e. c733e5e35e41fd7fa2cdc31ae360d0ed.

MarcelM and moss-maniac like this.
  3. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text

Address:
    United Kingdom
  4. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Fishing%20Cape%20York%20Weipa%20Mangrovs%209-03.

Marcel

This is a Mangrove from Cape York Australia.

I have fished these areas many times.

There is nothing but thick smelly mud that is alive with fish.

The water is usually salty but as you progress up the creeks and rivers it becomes more of banks up to the waters edge.

The water rises and falls with the tides as you can see.

During the wet season the water can become brackish depending on tides and how much rain has fallen.

The humidity is indescribable during the heat of the day its difficult to even breath there, plus it is full of every biting insect you can think of.

It would be practically impossible to create a similar situation in a home Aquarium.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  5. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Altough that first pick already comes very close. :)

Ok so i understand that Mangrove of which i thought was the easiest to grow with air roots isn't the best example nor choice to make in an indoor inveronment.

But there are more suitable tropic riparians which maybe could do even better. Like Pachira aquatica or i believe also some ficus
    species can do in wet conditions and are easier on the ivironment wishes.. Both spieces are regularly offered in a bonsai shape. Or maybe a red (swamp) maple or an oak if it can live in nature in riparian condition why not in doors in bonsai form? . For me it's just an idea i already have quite some time on my mind. Like a shallow scape with rocks going emersed and a bonsai shaped tree growing over it with the roots in the water into the substrate functioning as real life hardware. I've seen many scapes replicating the idea with dead wood. And i always thought it might be possible to do it with a real life tree. It only would take a lot of time to first let a tree grow and shape it like that in a tank. I have actualy no idea how you would start it in the first place.

If i google aquascaping and bonsai i only find replicas nothing real till now. So i think whats the catch? Did nobody ever tried it, or if, did they fail?. Or is there somebody who's still in the long process of making it happen and not there yet? It would look realy awsom if it could be done. Somehow i think why should it not be possible. It only takes time i guess.. :) I've found a paludarium like it, but couldn't make out if it had a fake tree..

lol Keith, reading your reply i think you somebody like Rex Hunt or that funny Crocodile ausi who got nailed by that stingray, whats his name again..?..Or the barefood bushwacker.... Darn can't imagine how it is to live there.. Harsh invironment. Respect man! Vacation OK, but living there i think i would not last long i guess.

#5 MarcelM, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel
    You cannot actually live in those areas reasons, plenty of Sharks, Crocodiles, things that sting or bite you to death.

Besides in the wet season the area could be easily under water.

A fantastic place to fish but not to live there.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  7. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Australia is a remarcable continent, never been there, never will i guess just to far away and to late by now for me to get the most out of it. But Australia and New Zeeland always intrigued me very much with seeing documentaries about it's wild life and the harsh invironments and stunning landscapes. There is no other place on the earth like it, truly unique in so many ways. :)

Keith and Greenfinger2 like this.
  8. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All, The Crocodile man, Name Steve Irwin,

I used to love watching his programs :cool: It was a sad day when he died and so young.

MarcelM likes this.
  9. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Same here watched every show. It was an awfull and sad accident..

10. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    I can tell you his special commemorative service was televised it stopped the nation.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  11. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    I can believe that,keith.. He is a true Hero, but was also a little wacko.. But that also made him so lovable..

12. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    In Australia he would be called a Lovable Larrikin.

MarcelM likes this.
  13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Larrikin? Nice word didn't kow it.. :) He kinda was..

14. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    MarcelM likes this.
  15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Yes i looked it up yesterday, it said australian slang for lovable mischievious child.. :) That discription fits him well..

Keith likes this.
  16. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

It certainly did, there are only a few that could earn that title in Australia.

Some were even Cartoon characters.

Greenfinger2 likes this.