1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My daughter's freshwater shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping General Discussion' started by djshabb, Feb 27, 2015.

1. djshabb

djshabb New Member

Address:
    I'm fairly new to the planted tank hobby but here is my attempt at a fresh water shrimp tank

25019eb9a84d63372702426b85d3301a.

7ab26eba522f54c916dceb0ae4de0beb.

92720212849854c97d1f91e95600ff15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    djshabb

Your tank is very confusing for many reasons.

As its a Shrimp planted tank the plants there are not in a very good condition.

Second photo it looks like one of the Sword varieties other than having damaged leaves they can grow into huge plants.

Third photo it looks like a very unhappy Java Fern is it in the substrate or attached to a piece of Drift Wood?

Are you feeding the plants if so what with, quantities and how often.

It looks like some thing/s are ripping it apart.

I also notice there are fish in with the shrimp, this link will help you in selecting compatible fish.

What fish and numbers are in the tank?

The Best Types Of Fish For Your Shrimp Aquarium

Is there any reason what the tank level is so low?

Filtration and heater its very unusual for a beginner to remove the Filtration and heater for a photo, what are you using?

The surface of the substrate certainly requires a very good cleaning.

I fully realise its a girls tank but why the pink ornament some can break down and cause a lot of problems.

As a test I would like you to take a good water sample to your LFS and get a full water test done ask for a full report not its OK and post the results please.

Sorry if this is not the reply you were looking for, I could have said very little but that would not help you or your tank at all.

I do have an established 140lt heavily planted low tech shrimp tank.

Keith :cathug:

3. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    hi djshab and welcome to GBG.

I agree with Keith's post but please take this as constructive help as your plants and fish will benefit from this help.

For me you need to look at a few things as Keith mentioned, one being the lack of nutrients the plants are getting.

Please see this link for more info on the causes

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aquarium+plant+nutrient+deficiency&client=ms-android-hms-tef-gb&espv=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sboxchip=Images&source=univ&fir=Pzqy-2VqajqDkM%253A%252CuNT4QokTiUZBwM%252C_%253BvJa5kIvrt7o4VM%253A%252CG6RKQ4XtCdbc3M%252C_%253BxLH53YEN649W7M%253A%252COYGfBCmwgBMOJM%252C_%253BVn4aQwqnj0DI2M%253A%252CklswgEBP0lcxwM%252C_%253BWA7Cz2qx5Y8U_M%253A%252C_3ESS8lZ5I7B7M%252C_&usg=__3oBP8cNfmGihHy70S3D94Z0fm1E%3D&sa=X&ei=2RXwVMj4BMSwUey9hNAC&ved=0CCkQ7Ak&biw=360&bih=559

We would love to help you here if you can list your equipment, water parameters along with any routines you have such as water changes etc.

We are here to help :D

4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    djshabb

Its very hard to write a very detailed constructive criticism but once you know me after a few posts you will very quickly see I would rather be honest and straight forward, its the quickest way to get the posters tank to something that they can sit back and enjoy a very healthy beautiful Aquascape.

Roy will tell you I come straight to the point and often will find the slightest adjustment to improve your aquascape.

I have being teaching and doing different types design of work for just over 60 years now and I can honestly say I am still learning the finer points of GBG.

Keith :cathug:

5. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Djshabb, Welcome to GBG :welcome:

6. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Member

Address:
    France
    Hi and welcome here! =)