1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Journey Into wabi kusa..

Discussion in 'Wabi-Kusa Journals' started by MarcelM, Sep 24, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    i already was preparing some stones in the propagator for a future W-K.. Didn't realy know how to procede, just thought first see if i can manage this so far.. Lately i found a nice peace of driftwood in the LFS and there it came to me. Straight after that bought me a dish and worked so far on my invissioning.

for now i used some akadama mixed with pumis as substrate.. Wanted to create a sort of river/stream bank lake shore or something like that. The stones already in there are about all i have of it, only got some small ones left for maybe some little small details.

But i'm not fully confident on the placement of the stones so far.. Also am i in doubt what other substrate to use. Once i put it in there it will be hard to separate it again.

I was thinking of light colored sand or fine gravel in the deeper part as river bottom and blacj powder type as cap soil for the planting. So for now this is just a rough layout only with covered stones and wood..

I realy could need some advice on these ideas and the stone placement. And if i should procede and finish or think it over. But i have the feeling i'm missing something here :cautious:.. Not sure.. :)

Maybe i need other angle pics, pleace let me know and i post them.. :)

Thanks in advance.. :)

349 (Kopie). 350 (Kopie). 353 (Kopie). 355 (Kopie). 356 (Kopie).

moss-maniac and Greenfinger2 like this.
  2. Keith

Keith Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Roy is the WK expert, one thing you must do at all costs is KIS and remember "Less is More and More is Less"

Personally that large sloping rock looks out of place its too large, no character and just not blend in with any thing else in your WK.

Try to keep it as natural as possible,here is a very useful guide.
    http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/wabi-kusa/

I think Roy locates many of his bits and pieces on his walks and not at the LFS.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  3. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

By collecting from the wild the wood is usually aged and looks better in the WK.

He also collects those brown river stones.

4. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith that large stone also was my concern as it didn't look right.. All stones are from the same type, green slate. I tried to imagine how it would look with plants around it covering it for the most part. Thought maybe could need one naked stone in there not covered by moss.

But I will try to replace it, dig it in deeper or leave it out.

5. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

That gives you several options but I will go for "If in doubt leave it out"

6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    This is what it grew like from last year september till a week ago. It all started out with very small baby cuttings of several plants and i let them grow just the way the want it. But it still needs some more time, i'm not yet satisfied and let it grow a bit longer. Days are getting warmer and longer now and more favorable for the plants. But it comming nicely together..
    DSCF6284 (Kopie).JPG

Greenfinger2, Jason and moss-maniac like this.
  7. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Hi Marcel

hmmm moss :love: it developed very nicely.
    What about a bigger rock on the sand - with very tiny bits of a moss ball in the cracks?

Kind regards
    Ev:)

MarcelM likes this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Ev and Jason thank you :),

yes the sand, i'm still thinking about that part as well.. :) My first plan was to flood that part, an old overhanging tree at the waterfront and use some duckweed and salvinia as floaters. There is a Java fern on top of the tree, lost all it's old leaves, but slowly growing new ones... You are right then it still could use a rock or piece of wood sticking up emersed maybe.. Don't know yet, havent flooded it for months, because of the alge growth can't keep it flooded for long. Back then it looked kinda ok, have to see again. So that flooding should be something for the final presentation. Still not sure what it will be. :)

There are also some bolbitis ferns and süßwassertang at the base of the tree growing on a rock at the sands edge, still far from the size i like it to be. It was a rather a cool winter for these guys i hope it'll boom a bit now in the spring.
    DSCF6290 (Kopie).JPG

Greenfinger2 and moss-maniac like this.
  9. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

The plants are looking OK but they seem to lack the lush growth.

With the two coloured stones it looks very confused in such a small container.

Hardscape is missing ??? under the slope as if its resting on it them.

Something for you to consider.

MarcelM likes this.
  10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith, what i took into consideration is one of you earlier comments, about clean wood not realy looking natural and aged.. That's absolutely true.. I still wanted to give it a try to age the wood myself.. So i had to make mother nature do that with this piece of wood.. And planted it with moss and the soil with some very tiny cuttings from several plants.. Did put it in a cool spot to favor the moss to grow faster than the plants. So far the experiment was a succes, the moss had time and the plants where so small to give this time and stayed behind a bit. That was actualy the goal, other wise it would have been lush plant growth but still not enough moss, so i had to temper the plants a bit.. Now after 5 months we go into the next stage attending to the plants, the spot gets warmer, so they will come along soon and get lush.

Are you refering to the dark objects on the sand? With colored stones? These are not stones :) these are little pieces of wood.. I wanted also moss to grow on it, but this didn't work out yet. This WK is far from ready, maybe only half way so still in development.. There indeed is something a mis with the sandy area, but still have not figured out what to do with it. :)

11. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

I was referring to the two coloured substrates.

Little pieces of wood is a very good idea it adds another dimension plus it looks natural.

12. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith yes indeed i see, i used akama pumice mix as base substrate, that wasn't a good choice in a glass container, but all i had at the time.. it would indeed have looked beter if it all was the same color. That's indeed something i have to change, have to strip it down then and rebuild, before the root growth kicks in to deep.. I'll see if i can fix this with minor damage to the setup.. :) Thanks for that insight.. (y)

13. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Its the white substrate to be removed nothing else.

A good old spoon job get an old one and bend it and slowly lift it out.

14. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Looking good :clap: With the substrate place some darker substrate around the glass edge and over the top of other substrate the plants will soften up any edges

MarcelM likes this.
  15. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Roy

I thought about that first I had to a similar thing in the 5ft Terrascape different soils in the end I took a lot out simply because the back layer kept slipping forward.

If Marcel misses one white stone it will be a )(*$$&()_ to get out cleanly.

MarcelM and Greenfinger2 like this.
  16. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    :coffee: I red your replies to late, you are totally right and I totally messed it up.. :mad:.. I was still sleeping I guess, I still had a bag of light coloured sand and did put that at the sides just a mm think.. But it doesn't contrast right.. :censored::eek: Now it looks completely awful.. :ROFLMAO: Ill see if I still can fix it with black sand and wash the light sand out.. If not I'll strip it down and rebuild it as food as I can.. :unsure: Doesn't rely matter so much it was the wood I attended to the whole winter anyway.. New plants will grow in in weeks now it's getting warmer.. See what I can do.. :whistle: :LOL::cautious::X3:

17. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel put it down to another valuable lesson learnt.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  18. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    :sneaky:(y)

DSCF7410.JPG

DSCF7408 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF7414.JPG

DSCF7515 (Kopie).JPG

Funny stuff that UG, it needs lot of co2 and lots of flow, they say.. Well that's certainly what it gets down there at the bottom in the substrate.. :rolleyes:
    DSCF7513.

moss-maniac, Keith and Jason like this.
  19. Jason

Jason Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Looking good Marcel and nice flowering :)

Keith and MarcelM like this.
  20. Keith

Keith Custom Text

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel
    dscf7410-.3028.

That plant looks very much like an Aust native violet as far as I am concerned its a weed but it does have a very nice little blue flower.

You have a very good collection now, when do you stop now you have got the nasty WK bug?

MarcelM likes this.