1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planted Goldfish Scape

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by MarcelM, Oct 22, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Well sinc its a new project in progress :) why not start a journal about it..

Tank will be 90x35x35 cm open top
    Low tech
    Low light

Filtration Hang on filters planted.
    External DIY

Fish
    5 goldfish
    ? Hara Jerdoni
    ?

Plants
    Java ferns
    Bucephalandra's
    Anubias
    Mosses ?
    Floaters ?
    ???

Here is the stand, not yet tataly finished..
    DSCF4972 (Kopie).

But couldn't help myself already playing a bit with the layout..

It is Ardennes Black marbled Rock.
    Substrate will be black as well, probable fine rounded grave or heavy sand.

I had some like this in my mind.
    DSCF4982.
    in the cracks of the rock will be anubias and or bucephalandras, bolbitis and mosses..

DSCF4987.
    Still have some smaller rocks in the propagator tank already grwon with moss, will be added later..
    In the right back corner i piece of Manzanita root and a large Java fern. and some smaller epiphytes.

Looking from above i created some potholes for substrate planting, this is a must with goldfish because they are bulldozers it prevents them from diggin the plants out..
    DSCF4985 (Kopie).JPG

The back will be banked up pretty high and slooping down to the right and planted, will need some smaller rocks to cuver most of the top to prevent diggin. Left corner maybe some Val and or elodea?? And in the pockets in from of the large stone will also be planted with some grassy plants.
    DSCF4985 (Kopie)1.
    Further small carpeting can't be done, not with goldfish.. So maybe some smaller pieces of planted root or rocks?? But they need playground to dig. So forground will not be planted in substrate..

:)

I was thinking of placing the stones in the back a bit higher on tempex sheet to create some emersed growth with cyprus grass or some like that. :)

What do you think?

Thanks..

rodoselada and Greenfinger2 like this.
  2. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, The stand is great Shabby Chic style :clap:

The plant list sounds great tough leaves. They should be safe with gold fish ;)

Over to Keith on the design :D

MarcelM likes this.
  3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks.. :LOL:.. I need panties... :whistle: To fill with substrate so i can go higher with the rocks in the back left.. :)

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  4. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel, Cool Idea You can fill stockings with cat litter and some fert tabs ?? Depending on what plants you want to grow there.

5. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Roy, I'm nut sure yet, on the back plateau i definitely want to grow few that don't mind wet feed and grow immersed. Something swampy or maybe I'm going to try a dwarf Alocasia and ore something that climbs.. a bit paludarium style... I'm not sure yet, maybe room for 2 plants, then it will slope down to the right.. :barefoot: maybe you have suggestions??? :) In front of that highest stone i was thinking about a dense patch your HP, got about 4 cuttings of them now accompanied with some that hangovers the stones down. in the left corner maybe a large narrow leaved crypt

The lights will hang off center aimed to the left side :) So i can put some medium light plants left and the low light ferns and stuff on the right. I would like to keep the majority in the Asia group. Except the Anubis and probably bolbitis and that floating potamogeton all will be Asia.. :) not sure yet if i give them elodea or salvina to munch on.. The love salvinia and i love the slurping and smacking sounds they make on them. :LOL::love:

Here they are

Ini, mini, miny and Moo
    DSCN1540 (Kopie).JPG
    DSCN1542 (Kopie).JPG
    DSCN1547 (Kopie).JPG
    Number 5 wasn't there yet.. :cool:

#5 MarcelM, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
    Greenfinger2 likes this.
  6. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

I am thing totally different to what you have there its a more smooth looking and feel to complement the shape of your fish in other words no sharp rocks.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

7. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith i see what you mean.. That this black scape could be a bit to drastic and sharp edged :) This is a rock collection I'd collected over the time... I put it aside and look again..

Also did think about the river stone idea might be better, but these i still have to collect. :)

What i would like is to create a little platform somewhat closer to the surface to create a small shallow part at the back left for some semi immersed growth..
    I'll keep my eyes open for some more rounded gray/brown river stones. :)

Sorry for the distraction to scatter this over 2 topics. Could someone maybe move the to this related posts from 54 liter tryout to this one?

8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Gold fish are plant eaters but some plants a safe which ones?? Their your GF and know what are like

Smooth mix of natural Coloured River stones various sizes. Go collecting or a landscape garden supplier

Substrate easy to look after 2-5mm natural river stones

Try tallish LH end and towards the back, this should be a contrast to all the stones and substrate.

Small plants could be planted in the spaces between the rocks.

With a careful positioning of plants, rocks and stones should create a good water movement and most important an excellent eye flow.

The smaller varieties of Anubias would gradually grow over some of the stones this would complete the eye flow over the foreground.

Gold fish are the feature of your tank the Aquascape must complement them with everything in the tank, by that I mean nothing drastic like sharp rocks as they will become another feature and not blend in with them.

The coloured plant ??? a similar colour to the GF if not a mid green

One of my better think tank sketches

Marcel%20GF%20tank%201%20%2023.10.15%20%20_edited-1.

Karthik and rodoselada like this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

This is the type of rocks I am thinking about.
    Marcel%20Goldfish%20rocks%202%2023.10.15%20_edited-1.

Attached Files:

10. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel replied

Keith i see what you mean.. That this black scape could be a bit to drastic and sharp edged :) This is a rock collection I'd collected over the time... I put it aside and look again..

Also did think about the river stone idea might be better, but these i still have to collect. :)

What i would like is to create a little platform somewhat closer to the surface to create a small shallow part at the back left for some semi immersed growth..
    I'll keep my eyes open for some more rounded gray/brown river stones. :)

Sorry for the distraction to scatter this over 2 topics. Could someone maybe move the to this related posts from 54 liter tryout to this one?

MarcelM,

11. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    That is actualy only in winter time.. :) It will only be a temporary habitat for the months the temps could drop to far for them, that from late november till march/april then they go outside again to the terrase pond.

My major goal is to make it a nice diverse planted tank mainly with epiphytes, that's what it actualy will be most time of the year. So the plants will actualy be the real fearure. for the summer time there there only will be the Hara Jerdoni and probably a handfull of stickelbacks.

it needs to be a goldfish safe scape one thet will not be damaged or distroyed in the few months they will make use of it.. In my mind i had a kind of upsloping riverbed where i can work a bit towards the surface and do some emersed growth.. that way i can also create a sand/gravel pit for them where they can happily dig and shift substrate without distroying anything. To be honestly with the dimensions i have i do not see this be achievable maybe not even possible with rounded riverstones. These smooth rounded pebbles are not realy suitable for attaching epiphytes. :)

We are indeed in total opposites streets in this. I'm trying to see it but can't get my head around it how i would make that happen with smooth rounded stones. Without using massive big rounded (and flat) stones to create my hieght.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  12. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    :clap: I am very glad to hear that Marcel, I thought the goldfish will become too big for the tank in the long run.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjwc1/8205861820/in/photostream/

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  13. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hi Ev, yes they surely will, eventual they will become to big for the terrase pond, tho this will take quite some years. I have an arrangement for that already, i know somebody willing to give them a very large pond when the time comes. :) The tank in that photo is a very beautifill tank.. :) Again very traditional goldfish setup to prevent them from diggin. And this what i always gave them and would like to keep giving them, diggin ground, because i've seen them very happy doing that. Shifting substrate from right to left. thats the reason why i want to go up with the hardware and plant mainly ephiphytes on rocks and wood, like a planted rock face surounded by a substrate layer they can securely plough trough. After all they are carp family, and carps are diggers.. I don't want to take that away from them. :)

14. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Great Marcel,
    I see you love your fish the way it should be!! :clap:
    Maybe you can find rocks with a whole in it, to plant them? I have the same problem with my corys and the sand ground (I never would take them their sand) - they make everything plane...
    So I plant my plants in sieve pots or transparent, very flat food containers - hidden behind stones, this works well.
    From time to time I have to shovel back some sand in the higher levels - doesn't matter.

I even thought about sticking pebbles or rocks together to get easy, natural looking "pots" for planting...
    with hidden sieve pots inside, to change plants fast with the pot like furniture, if necessary....
    In this way I wanted to produce a system for a planted underwater wall - it never became reality - too many ideas in my head - I would need some more lives! :cool::cool::cool:

Invasive plants grow fast enough in the sand for corys, for goldfishes I would plant them in flat containers, too - and cover them with pebbles...

Creative regards
    Evelyn

http://moss-maniac.blogspot.de/p/blog-page.html

Greenfinger2 and rodahl like this.
  15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    :clap: Good ideas Ev!! Thanks.. :) Something to think about.. Impressive natural looking tank, looks very intresting, i love the creepy darkness in it. Looks like an alien startrek set from the 60s. (y) Flash Gordon Tank.. :cool:

moss-maniac likes this.
  16. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    thank you Marcel:)
    haha, nice title for my tank :ROFLMAO: yes, you are right, somewhere around the corner Yoda could sit or R2D2 :D:D:D

on the photo it is always darker than in reality...

Kind regards
    Ev

#16 moss-maniac, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    MarcelM likes this.
  17. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    Marcel, Greenfinger2 has a very nice tank using river stones he collected. If you can find one of those clear plastic soap dishes that cling to the side of the tub, it should work very well for your emergents.

Greenfinger2 and MarcelM like this.
  18. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    Very Halloweeny–timely

19. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    hehe:LOL: