1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return of the Shallow

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by TimHarrison, Jul 9, 2017.

1. TimHarrison

TimHarrison Super Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I was thinking that Keith. I've got a fair amount on my plate atm, so not sure if the timing is right for now, but I really like the idea, so sometime in the future for sure.

2. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    For rme i one day ran into that tub as a bargen i could not leave behind. Thought this chance doesn't come every day.. It started out with the tub filled with tomatos.. But growing delicious tomatos aint that easy as it looks after 2 years only growing nose rot infected tomatos i tossed that idea. After that i looked for one summer at an empty tub filled with soil. Thinking a year long what to do with it.. Then it struck and started the terrace pond.. Actualy regarding maintenance it is easier than growing vegtables.. It's a half a day work in the spring to set it up, than let nature do the rest.. :) Over the years it improved and got easier every year making it even more less time consuming, more functional and more maintenance free. Every year new ideas..

No haste and easy going, outdoors you can't force nature anyway. That's the big difference compaired to indoor aqaurium. The weather doesn't have an intensity button or off switch. It takes lots more patience than an indoor aqaurium. Its a project that starts in the spring than you have to wait and see if idea's work out. If it doesn't you need to wait till next year and try something new. Restarting in the middle of the year doesn't work, than you have to go with what you got, that's nature, you can't make your own schedule..

Just look around you might run into to nicest sink or tub whatever around.. Than you need to be quick and grab it even if you don't intent to set it up yet.. Just put it somewhere in the garden. Than it spins on the back of your mind till next spring, time enough gathering ideas how to set it up in the future.

TimHarrison and Keith like this.
  3. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Tim

Marcel can pop around and set it up for you. An old kitchen sink would even work it has a bench top as well.

Keith.:cathug::cathug:

TimHarrison likes this.
  4. TimHarrison

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I'll definitely keep a look out for something suitable...I'll be the odd guy peering in to folks skips o_O
    Seriously, though I love architectural salvage yards so it'll give me an excuse to visit them...I can hear my wife sighing in frustration even now :rolleyes:

MarcelM likes this.
  5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Tim

As its good weather its an excuse to get out.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

6. TimHarrison

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Certainly is...weather is good today. I'm starting the onerous task of clearing out my garage.
    I'm trying to make space for more racking so I can get to my hardscape without rummaging around in crates.
    It should make scaping much more easier :cool:

7. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    That sounds like a very good idea, you will possibly find stuff you had forgotten about. I don't have a garage just a large carport. The spare room wardrobe become our storage area.

TimHarrison likes this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    So that would make you an UK Picker.. Same for me i love architectual salvage.. Tho in my region it is about picked clean, than most hope is in the pickers antique shop asking top dollar. I'm still for quit some years patiently on the look out for an old shabby looking iron cast enemal slipper tub with lion feet. Seemingly the needle in the haystack.

Seems like the same in the UK..
    http://www.antiquebaths.com/product/original-cast-iron-bath/
    Look at the price.. :whistle::cry:

9. TimHarrison

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I know, and that's before restoration :eek:
    But I guess there are plenty of folk with money to burn.

10. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    As long as there are no cracks and not leaking a good steam clean and a special safe paint and its working again.

Roll Top Double Slipper Cast Iron Bath Gargoyle Feet With Tap Holes
    Double Slipper + Taps+ Waste + Life Time Guarantee
    AU $2,207.92
    From United Kingdom
    AU $673.69 postage
    12 sold

s-l300.

I could renovate my Bathroom for less than that including a bath repaint

TimHarrison likes this.