1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

substrate for emersed plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Jason King, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jason King

Jason King Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I thought I would create this thread to see what substrate members use for emersed plants.

At the moment im using tmc nutrasoil and john innes no3 in another setup.

Both setups are doing great however im concerned that the tmc contains to many ferts and can cause melting for some plants, is this possible?

Ive not used the john innes long enough to comfirm if the plants in the tmc melted because of the ferts.

2. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Forgot to add that not all plants in the tmc melted it was ug, glosso and a few rotala.

3. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jason

I only grow fully "Emersed" plants in my two tanks but the larger Anubias will often have its leaves exposed on the surface of the water.

All I have used is the old fashioned well and truly proven 1-3mm standard river stones.

Keith:):)

4. Mowa

Mowa Member

Address:
    Germany
    Hallo Jason, why I have any Years emerse Waterplants, I have some problems with diverent Soil behind me. But I dont now that Googel translation bring it 1:1
    - only Clay is to heavy, the roots suffocate
    -Potting gray mold on parts of plants
    -5mm gravel with slow-release fertilizer, only 3cm, is ok
    -Seramis is good, with Hydro fertilizer
    -fresh expanded clay is very bad, because it eats the fertilizer, old expanded clay is good, if its loaded with nutrients
    -Aquarium Solil is perfekt
    -Kokohum with slow-release fertilizer is perfekt
    Allways we have to look for the needs of plants, for example, Bacopa monieri loves curing

Next is a old pond earth, because the bag is already 10 years in the cellar. Organic compounds that are moldy should be as far decomposed. I'm curious.
    I hope this help you :)

Next time I want to show my emerse Plants of this summer. But they are not Wabikusa, but potted...
    VG Monika

5. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hello monika Thanks for the detailed post :) so my choice in using planted aquarium substrate is the correct one
    ?

6. Mowa

Mowa Member

Address:
    Germany
    Hei Jason, sorry I don`t now your Soil (phantasiename?). What is the basis of this?
    VG Monika

7. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi monika its tmc nutrasoil.

This is the only info I can find

8. Mowa

Mowa Member

Address:
    Germany
    Hei Jason, I think that is what in Germany called "Aquarium Soil".
    VG Monika

9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    One of the biggest concerns with some of the commercial "Aquatic" mixes is the life span.

Its one of those "depends" answers it depends on the actual tank/container and the plants being used.

Another point some of these mixes do not like being disturbed as it can cause massive pH changes.

Keith:):)

10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Intersting topic :).. What are your findings till now whit this question after a year?

My thoughts on this is, i do what the plant nurseries do.. :)

They grow all plants succesfully on inert rockwool.. What does this tell us? It tells us that using a nutral, inert, inorganic and well aerated substrate and add the ferts necesary via the watering is the cleanest and most safe way to grow swamp plants emersed. So any substrate mimicing these conditions are good to go and easier to maintain. E.g fine grained akadama or backed clay based substrates or pumus (lava rock) or a mix of both as long it is inert and not enriched with ferts. This way we can suffice with the same fert regime we use in the aquarium, micros and macros.

Buffered coco fiber is also very good but les decorative. If you want to grow plants realy fast like in a propagator and decoration is not an issue coco fiber is one of the best alternatives. Coco fiber is very lose and light in structure, plants root much easier and there for grow faster on it. Only for coco fiber you need other fert regime, because coco fiber has the tendensie to suck up all magnesium if it is not buffered.. And there for we need the buffered version and in the beginning we need to add less magnesium in the ferts, there is special coco fert on the market.
    :)

11. Jason King

Jason King Founder

Address:
    United Kingdom
    The John innes worked great but is messy, obviously it's mud.

The tmc soil worked great but after a while it broke up and became mud, I'm not sure if this is the case when used submersed as I never used it for that length of time submersed.

Ada amazonia is the winner for me as is still held together a year later and as we know its a proven plant grower

I used clay balls, rock wool and fert tabs for the anubias and it proved to be great.

I've used coco/reptile substrate in my Emersed scape, it showed slow growth but the plants did grow and personal for a terrarium it looks more Natural, maybe I should add some Fertilizer to it?

Old eco complete substrate with fert tabs worked fine also. But I now have bagged this up into stockings for my Aquascapes to raise the height of the substrate (saving on the amount of aquasoil I use) as it don't break up and holds the bacteria.

MarcelM likes this.
  12. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Coco peat is inert, contains about nothing.. i know there is (i have) special coco fertilizer micro/macro in seperated bottles A/B system.. But till now i haven't realy found out what the difference in content is. There is also special rockwool (hydrocultur) fertilizer in micro/macro in seperated bottles A/B system. I only know that coco needs to be buffered with magnesium before it is suitable for plantgrowth. 20 years ago when it became about popular in the regular gardening you realy needed to ask for buffered. Because if they sold you unbuffered coco the plants would be in trouble, because the coco won't release magnesium. Now it's a common product in the garden centres. So i guess the difference in the fertiliser magnisium contents, but i'm not sure. I experienced if you use the right fertilizer plants will grow very fast on cocopeat. Especialy young plants root fatser and deeper in it. I have no idea if coco reptile substrate is suitable for planting, i guess it is what's a reptile terrarium without plants?

I never tried any other fertilizer on it then the one recomended..