1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The beginning of a moss collection.

Discussion in 'Moss Gardens' started by yeswaitnosorry, Aug 17, 2015.

1. yeswaitnosorry

Address:
    FIL was cleaning out the gutters, and I was lucky enough to be there and snap up all the moss!
    It's just sitting in a dish for the moment, waiting for me to get some inspiration.

DSCN1522-1_zps8nxebw8g.

2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    yeswaitnosorry

See if you can find any more fill in around the edges of that bowl and its finished.

OR hunt the OP shops for a black dinner plate or any thing similar in black.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  3. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    Beautiful moss Keith. I'll bet you can do some lovely things with it.

4. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Some higher haircap in the middle, maybe accompanied with some mnium sp. it would look stunning. These you ll find all over the world in the forests under trees all kinds of places. Preferd damp and shady, but very often also on dry and sandy grounds. :)

5. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    I also have it growing on my roof every winter in the summer its very easy to clean off the roof just use a stiff brush and its all gone until next winter.

6. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Moss is great, i realy love it and also collect it. Doing experiments and trying theories i have about it.. Some work out well.
    Like i found this under a tree in the forrest away from water on sandy soil and did put it emersed on wood in the tank in the water.
    A6miBIi.

2 weeks later it looked like dying but i just left it there, then it slowly came back like this in about 4 to 6 weeks
    hXW5GXQ.

And after that slow transition it's even growing submersed. Attached file.

:) This is the second spieces i managed to grew from emersed to submersed. very versatile vegitation.

Attached Files:

7. yeswaitnosorry

Address:
    Every winter some moss grows on the stone paving. Come summertime it has burnt to a crisp. I scraped some off yesterday and put it in a tank, will see if I can get it to grow.
    DSCN1590-1_zpsresdk8q3.

Greenfinger2, Keith and MarcelM like this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Just be patient with it, it might start to look like dying at one point but most likely just changing appearance. mosses are very addaptable and also very delicate and react on the long term to minor changes in invironment. Ecologists also use mosses as bio-indicators to monitor inveronmentel changes and polution etc.. Some spieces prefer acidic invironments and others base invironments, changes in that will have impact on the surrounding moss growth it may change or totaly disapear. F.e. if the stone paving you find it on is concrete then this most likely will contain loads of calcium if you take that moss away and put it on a silica rock and dont give it calcium it will mis something and need to addapt and may do nothing even wither away and look dead for a long time before it starts doing anything.

If you have a garden or a balkoni then you could take a bucket or whatever vessel holds water and doesn't crack when its freezing in winter, put it in a spot where it is partialy shaded. put in some sand or gravel like 2 inches from the top. Put is some easy native swamp plants like Iris or some reet, choices enough and throw some fert clayballs. :) Flood the vessel and let mother nature play with it, just keep an eye on it in dry periods to keep it moist, reflood it once in a while if you see the substrate surface without water for to long. Eventually you will get mosses growing in there maybe even different spieces on the base of the plants on the substrate and or stones you did put in there. Moss spores which landed there and like this dry and wet invironment. :)

Like the pics bellow is moss from my 10 gallon old sink bucket in the garden im growing now in my little paludarium even in the tank constantly submersed. Also did put soem HC on it, HC loves to grow ephyfitic together with moss.

Attached Files:

9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    yeswaitnosorry,

If you can get a small piece of that paving stone you might be able to make up something very nice in an open container or a plate.

You only have to talk to Evelyn to see the beauty of Mosses.

moss-maniac, Greenfinger2 and MarcelM like this.
  10. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    See Evelyns blogspot :) it's very inspiring..

moss-maniac, Greenfinger2 and Keith like this.
  11. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Whoo-hoo!!!! A moss thread!!! :love:
    Thank you very much for your kind words, Marcel. Great mosses do you have - but warning: they are extremely addictive!

Wow! Thank you very much for your excellent moss tutorial. (y)(y)(y)

:unsure:In the meantime I forgot almost all of the moss names - but I do just enjoy them as well without names...
    Same with a lot of the latin garden plant names, I get old....:rolleyes:
    For me it is more important to know by sense, what special conditions the particular moss or the plants need - I haven't forgotten that - yet.:cool:

In case you need some more information - I absolutely love this side, the Mecca of mosses: http://www.andrewspink.nl/mosses/thumbnails.htm

Kind Regards
    Evelyn -
    PS: my signature has dissapeared today (n)

12. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Evelyn! Thank you too.. You're my hero! I needed a site like that.. Fantastic!.. (y) Best sites are always hidden away among the addicts. I know they are addictive im already for a few years.. A site like this is our joint.. :LOL:.. Rather this then the other high. Moss is better, is more down to earth, where we like to be. :love:

Here the 3 first places in the eifel.. Yoohoee!! 40 minutes im there and it's a wonderful daytrip as well!!
    http://www.andrewspink.nl/mosses/Rivers.htm

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/50%C2%B029'09.5%22N+6%C2%B034'06.0%22E/@50.4738549,6.7023246,33079m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en
    i'm going to get me some. :clap: You made my day..

#12 MarcelM, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    moss-maniac and Greenfinger2 like this.
  13. yeswaitnosorry

Address:
    We need a site like that for Australia!

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  14. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Evelyn

That is a fantastic link for moss enthusiasts.

15. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Maybe you like to try this as well.. Ihave no idea how it would work out for you because you probably will handle other parameters as i have. My parameters a 4Gh and 6Kh, using Tropica PG, Profito, Rhizotonic and Co2 as ferts with a temp around 25 celcius. The last 2, co2 and temp are the less of a consern because i did the same without co2 at a lower temp.

Anway it's this moss found all over the world (Even in australia as far as i can find information) at many different places, forest tho is the most likely place to find it under a tree in damp and even dry spots.

Mnium Hornum
    Mnium%20hornum%20P151.

and Common haircap
    Polytricum%20commune%207052.

Both can be grown Submersed in water.. The intresting thing is the transition it goes trough and in my case i did this in 2 moths. Dying its old form slowly off and even more slowly comming back in a slightly different form. This i noticed because i also inspected new young terrestrial emersed growth looking different.

This is how the transiton looks after almost 8 weeks submersed. You see the old growth turning faul and melts away and even at the far left you'll see 2 new young shoot rising out of the same stem. So its obiously propagating submersed as well. :)
    DSCN3766 (Kopie).JPG

this is how the new growth is growing in my aquarium it totaly changed in apearance and became almost like a new kind of moss. Mnium Hormun is never found aquatic as stated in the bryological field guides. My theory is because the appearance changes, that the same moss found aquatic is probably classified as a different spieces. But i haven't a clue yet because it's still very young and no idea how this will mature.

DSCN3962.

I say give it a go if you like :) i'm dying to see your results. I'm sure this can be accomplished with many different kinds of terrestrial found mosses. It only takes patience and of course also a little luck finding or just by change providing the perfect parameters to make it go into transition. I also did read people trying and not having succes. :)

16. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Hi Marcel, that's interesting -

Common haircap under water? I will try - but I cannot imagine, it stands relatively dry in the forest. Hm... (n)

Mnium Hornum I tried already, but it meltet down after a while :(
    but with "wet feet" I could keep it for a long time.

Kind regards

Evelyn

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  17. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Hey Evelyn :)
    The pictures above are Mnium Hornum i indeed found in the forest under a tree on sandy soil this early summer. The picture in my hand is after 6 weeks in the tank took it out to take the picture and put it back in, the picture in the tank is today 10 days later after the first picture.

here is a picture of the common hair cap growing new growth submersed and indeed all old terestrial growth fauls away and turns black.But it grows several new sprouts from it's stem. On this stem there are 4 new young shoots as you can see. I grew this in the propagator on simple sand and water 90% of the haircap wass submersed. All new growth developed under the waterline it took over 2 months to do this.
    DSCN3975 (Kopie).JPG

Look here at habitats. You can find it in nature, dry as well in wet places. But it doesn't realy matter where you find it.. Certain fertilization and maybe water parameters are importand to positively trigger it..
    http://www.bbsfieldguide.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/mosses/Polytrichum_commune_var._commune.pdf

Rhizotonic helps :) it jumpstarts rhizoid cell development and gametophyte propagation. I believe thats my secret (Not anymore now. ;) ) The picture shows it obviously doesn't only do sporophyte propagation, as many believe for acrocarpous moss.. But maybe it also does without extra help, just be patience, let it rot and just keep waiting..

Cheers Marcel..

#17 MarcelM, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  18. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
  19. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    yeswaitnosorry

Thank you for posting those interesting links.