1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The odd stone

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping General Discussion' started by MarcelM, Aug 25, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Found an odd stone a while ago, but beautifull stone i couldnt resist taking it home and it was the first stone i tried to scape with.. But this stone is so odd in coloring (yellowish, brownish, greenish, grey and white) and has a mysterious texture with cracks and cavities. It's hard to find matching stones with it. It also is large it measures 23 x 13 x 16 cm. It's a small cliff on it's own already and upright it stands like a slaughtered chicken on 2 legs.. So it was to massive for my small tank and left it out. Did put it in the pond instead, so some small pieces of vegitation already grew on it like moss and hc. :)

The stone by itself i think is a perfect iwagumi mother stone but till now i found no others to match. But still i'm planning to use it one day.. But i could use some suggestions from experienced people. :)

I think you might like this stone as well and maybe have very good ideas which didn't come to my mind yet.
    if you would like to see it in other positions please ask i'll shoot along.. :)

i really would like to know what you think..

DSCN3837 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3838 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3839 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3840 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3841 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3842 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3843 (Kopie).JPG DSCN3844 (Kopie).JPG

Oops, i thought hardscape should be here.. but now i see i did put this in the knowledge base erea.. :unsure: Can someone please move this to the regular discussions part of the forum.. Sorry and thanks..

#1 MarcelM, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

DSCN3841 (Kopie).JPG

In that position I would try using it in a black plate surrounded with mosses.

Roy's brain is already in over drive and Evelyn is working out where can I get that special moss.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

moss-maniac and MarcelM like this.
  3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith
    Thats the top side :) there is 23 cm stone under there to the bottom side.. I was already thinking in building a wabi around it. MAybe leave the idea behind putting it in a tank..

You mean some like the picture bellow? That's a 25 cm plate even standing upright it barely fits in there.

DSCN3871 (Kopie).JPG

#3 MarcelM, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    yeswaitnosorry and Greenfinger2 like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Yes perfect but in black and not as deep.

MarcelM likes this.
  5. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith

I see what you mean.. Hmmm (y) got a pottery next door. I give them a visit and ask if they have or can make some that fits.. :).

Keith likes this.
  6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Sounds great and when taking the photo try to have it sitting on a simple plane surface and backing the same colour, presentation is very important.

MarcelM likes this.
  7. Greenfinger2

Greenfinger2 Custom Text
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Marcel That is a stunner of a rock :love:

As Keith said Placed on a black dish with moss or HC Cuba or Monte C. With a tuft of hair grass here and there would look wonderful;)

MarcelM and Keith like this.
  8. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    That's a very nice idea, Roy. :) I'm going to keep my eyes out for a simple black dish.. As you alway say KIS.. You're both right why put it in a tank. in a w-k it might even be more better. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

Greenfinger2 likes this.
  9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

Never forget the KIS rule and you will see the difference immediately, that also includes the presentation photos.

Greenfinger2 and MarcelM like this.