1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to dispose or not to dispose...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MarcelM, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    :) That's what many people actualy never think about when it comes to things which look rather used and worn off. And respectless dispose things which many times have hidden beauty casted away in it's years of use.

Maybe you like to see this, because lounching, relaxing and thinking of design and reuse is after all running trough all our vains..

Like this old barber chair i found in a cellar from grandpa Simon after he passed away and we where called to help cleaning out his house. Grandpa Simon was my best friends father and also a little bit my dad and grandpa at the same time.

Nobody wanted this old worn off thing DSCN0283 (Kopie).JPG and it stood ready for disposal when i arived at the house. :eek: Luckely i was the only one seeing the history, hidden beauty and quality, so took it home with me. It stood at my place for a while, just looking at it and sitting in it and everybody was thinking why the hell is he still dragging this shabby 50 year old thing around the house?

Well what do you know? Finaly it came to me with lounching in this thing and thinking of my times with granpa Simon and what he would like me to do with this. Grandpa Simon was an old sailor and old pioneer serving the marine and we both are Jules Verne fan and liked Captain Nemo very much. So Captain Nemo it became..

It needed a buffing, get rid of some parts, a new jacket and some new shoes..
    DSCN0284 (Kopie).JPG
    Took those ugly caps and rubbers off to reveal the hidden true beauty of it's old fashion hydrolic jack i knew it had to be under there.

Started buffing the metal and routing, chiseling and filing it's new wooden oak shoes.
    IMAG0046.

DSCN0331 (Kopie).JPG
    DSCN0335 (Kopie).JPG

Gave the old black cast iron parts a Captain Nemo like bronze color.. As chrome, bronze and wood combined are things you actualy would find on ships and boats..

DSCN0409 (Kopie).JPG

Ordered me a wonderfull champange colored Argentinian cow hide to contrast grandpa Simons pioneer spirit.
    DSCN0276 (Kopie).JPG

Brought the seats and the hide to the best upholsterer i could find, because working hide is not a job for everybody to pull of realy nice, i do not have the machinery for that.

And finaly it turned out like this, a nice lounge chair to sit in front of and enjoy my aquascape for hours. And find other inspirations. :LOL:

DSCN0411 (Kopie).JPG

DSCN0408 (Kopie).JPG

That is :( if i'm allowed to sit in it of course.. :(
    DSCN0428 (Kopie).JPG

There for the question to dispose or not? I say give it a time a better look and a thought first. Some old crap is more beautifull then you might think. Ok it's a matter of taste and still this project did cost me a few hours of elbow grease and +/- €450 material and labor cost for the upholsterer. But it is one of a kind, nowhere to find and next to that not made anymore in this kind of quality. For me it was well worth the work and money.

Some people just throw it away. :sick: :whistle:

Thanks for watching, hope you enjoyed it and maybe makes you think twice before you throw something out as garbage.. :)

Cheers

Marcel..

#1 MarcelM, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. moss-maniac

moss-maniac Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Germany
    Wow Marcel - doing such things are right up my road (y)
    Excellent work you have done here, you made a really "designer piece" out of it!!!!

I like a lott of vintage stuff like it is anyway to the regret of my friend Horst. :whistle:
    And I also like to repair things - this ist the best way of recycling.

Regards
    Evelyn

MarcelM likes this.
  3. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Ev.. My too i'm mister vintage and if it isn't vintage it needs to look like it.

In the last picture there is a small very early Philips Xray photo lightbox hanging at the wall. I was thinking to turn it in a nano terrarium. But i'm still reluctant to strip it and drill holes in it and distroy it's originalty.

4. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel
    That is one great achievement its money value is worth a lot today but the sentimental value is priceless.

I can see Mr Red approves.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

MarcelM likes this.
  5. yeswaitnosorry

Address:
    Cats know a good chair when they see one.

moss-maniac and MarcelM like this.
  6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    MarcelM likes this.
  7. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    thanks guys.. :)

And keith the hardest part was to get the 5 little wooden shoes as identical as possible with just simple tools. Only messed up the first one.. The small routing table came in handy to get it fitting nicely on the metal and not crack them. Actualy the dremel and a 4mm router is somewhat small for that job, it was a lot of routing 1 milimeters at a time, only to get the inside flanks straight. Chisel and file where the most used tools on this. :) It was an educational project using wood on metal like this for the first time. Without the router i never could pulled it off 5 times. At first i wanted to use Olive wood but couldn't find any, glad i choose oak, any softer wood would have bien a dissaster. :)

8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

You could have drilled most of the wood out first then finish of with the router then shape the outside.

Its a very professional looking finish any way.

MarcelM likes this.
  9. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Keith,

I gave that a thought, but drilling it out by hand without a drilling stand was a bit to tricky for me. The chisel gave me more control of where i was going. Didn't mind the hours of chiseling, was a good pratice.

I still got an 150 year old oak farmers wardrobe in the house.. I often look at it and image how it must have been like to make it without the advanced tools of today. With all it's kinda barrock style ornaments and blacksmith locksets. It's realy crazy and priceless to make these days or even almost impossible finding people who still can without advanced machinery. looking at that piece makes me realize it aint so special at all hamering out those little wooden shoes. :LOL: But we all have to start somewhere.. :whistle:

10. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Marcel

I did a lot of Antique repair work in my younger day and it was not uncommon to make up a special tool to do that special job, remember when it was originally made possibly all hand tools only.

11. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    Nice job Marcel!
    Hope you have many good years of sitting and your cat., lying.

MarcelM likes this.
  12. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Rodahl.. :) Actualy, since i made it i sit less in it.. But visitors always do, it's in the living room now and im a kitchen dweller.. Rarely leave the kitchen.. :)

13. rodahl

rodahl Member

Address:
    United States
    That's what you get for creating a piece of art that you can sit on comfortably. As to the kitchen, I would hazard a guess and say that's where the sinks and drains are. Unfortunately my aquaria are in the den and I have to carry all water in and out.

14. MarcelM

MarcelM Custom Text
    V.I.P Member

Address:
    Netherlands
    Indeed my tanks are in the kitchen at the other end of the room. :) I still use a bucket to drain and fill, fortunately only 2 meters to go with it..
    My next tank is planned in the bathroom :LOL:. Unheated tank for the gold fish.. And actualy thinking of a buildin syphon with valve to drain it and a mini float valve to fill it again. Just because everything is at hand in there, why not.. :)

15. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Rob
    I always siphoned into buckets and heated up water then carried it to the tanks.

For the last 35 years I had to treat all the water first.

When I had the marine tank that was hard work a long drive, fill containers at the end of the pier carry them back to the car then drive home all up a good three hrs work.