1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying Iwagumi style ten gallon tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping Journals' started by jordimex, Jul 10, 2017.

1. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    Hello everyone my name is Jorge i am from Mexico but currently living in Aventura Florida.
    As i stated in the welcome thread that was created on my behalf i currently own 3 tanks
    a 10 gallon tank wich i broke down and are attempting the iwagumi style aquascape, a 65 gallon planted hi tech tank and a 65 gall mixed reef tank
    The next pictures are me trying to find a set up that i liked for the rocks IMG_7651.JPG IMG_7656.JPG IMG_7657.JPG

moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Hello jordimex you will find GBG is a very relaxed forum with plenty of high quality help.

At the moment until this tank is finished it will be better to complete it here on GBG it will be far less confusion.

Have you seen those Iwagumi links I sent to you? For other members I will copy them here as well.

1.Japanese Garden History
    http://www.japanorbit.com/japanese-culture/japanese-garden.html

2. Introduction to Iwagumi
    https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/iwagumi-aquascapes-introduction/

3. Guide to Iwagumi
    http://www.leonardosreef.com/guide-to-iwagumi/

4. Creating Iwagumi Aquascape
    http://www.fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/create-an-iwugami-aquascape

5. How to Setup an Iwagumi Aquarium
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/how-to-set-up-an-iwagumi-aquarium

6. The Art of Stone Appreciation
    http://www.suiseki.com/evaluating/index.html

I would like you to post a few photos of what is inspiring you.

Its a 10g what are all the dimensions in Cms please. The filtration, heater, lighting Substrate and Co2 Y/N.

Planting / mosses etc. Jason and Tim are both excellent with plants.

Are you thinking about the perfectly trimmed, the natural wild look or a combination of both which could work very well with that large rock.
    [​IMG]

My old brain is in Over Drive already.

[​IMG]

Just to clear up a point is this the permanent home for this tank?

3. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
  4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    jordimex

I do not every remember seeing a member on a Forum I post on doing a 110% Iwagumi.

To be perfectly honest I know I would not be qualified to assist or critique one. I can guarantee you will be very happy with the finished Aquascape what every you call it.

Now back to making a mock tank can it be made where the tank is now?

Glass on glass ?????
    I would prefer a 15 -20 mm particle board with a 5-10mm polystyrene foam or a rubber mat on top. This seems a lot but with experience I can foresee a few concerns along the way.
    Sorry if mention this again but that little tank when finished is going to have a decent weight on a piece of furniture that is not designed for an aquarium.

My background is a Cabinet Maker and a Cabinet trade teacher for 36 years, plus completing and teaching several design subjects.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

#4 Keith, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  5. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    Sorry Keith but i don't understand what you mean that you don't remember seeing a member post on doing a 110 iwagumi

you mean that it normally has to be a bigger tank?

yes the mock tank can go where it is right now

as soon as i saw your post i ordered a rubber mat to be placed below the tank
    this is the same placement where i had the old tank set up and it seemed to hold perfectly good

6. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    keith was the post about what im using on the tank deleted?

7. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Jordimex

Sorry a typo or lack of 110%
    My biggest concern is water if it gets on that cane at all it will stretch then as it dries out shrink again and in your case it could go mouldy. Remember the old cane chairs that is how the cane was replaced soak it and while its wet fix it in position and when it dried it became drum tight again.

As soon as you get the mock tank up and running with sand or what ever you want to use we can get started.

Have you given much thought on the levels of the substrate you. I prefer to work from the left to the right as this is the natural eye flow.
    Depending on your planting the front level height requires to be about 60-10cm

8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Posted by Jordimex

The dimensions of the tank are 50.8 x 27.9 x 33.0 filter is a aqua clear 50, heater is a tetra HT 10 rated for 10 gal and keeps a temperature of 78 +- 2 degrees, lights are 2 whale led clip lights with an output of 6500K*9, substrate is Caribsea Samurai Soil i will post a pic of the container, and as for the moment plan on doing a DSM in order to get a nice carpet of Cubas i think thats what they are called
    yes Keith this will be the final resting place of the tank and as your suggestion now i am planning on having the combined look on the tank

Do you need any more information? btw i loved the articles you posted read them at least twice

Jordimex

9. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    jordimex

There were some weird things happening earlier. I was getting error messages and double posts.
    Being a Mod I can see deleted posts, I just copied and reposted it for you.
    It was doing the same thing a few minutes ago.
    Jason has very recently changed Provider and it was working perfectly it could be an automatic updating or ???
    Edit its working perfectly now.

10. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    Well i added the substrate to the bottom of the tank and have been playing around with the rocks i like this at the moment
    took pictures from every angle for you to be able to see better IMG_7665 2.JPG IMG_7666 2.JPG IMG_7667 2.JPG IMG_7668.JPG

11. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    update i added a little bit more substrate to build the back up a little bit it was pretty much leveled

12. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    js there a way to chisel my rocks to make them a bit smaller but keeping kind of the same form? also think i want to bring my substrate up a little bit more

13. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    jordimex

Let me put it this way I will draw something up to scale for you and post it tomorrow for you. Then I would like you to set it up and post a few photos.
    Can you also get a piece of polystyrene foam the size of the base of the tank less 4cm in width and length of the tank, the LFS should have some its about 5-10cm thick (it does not have to be one piece) as long as it covers the bottom of the tank.

Yes you will require more Substrate.

jordimex likes this.
  14. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    Thank you very much Keith i will get the piece today
    and get a bit more substrate

15. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    Hey @Keith i got everything you asked me to get minus the substrate will be picking it up tomorrow my los didn't have anymore of it and should be getting it tomorrow

16. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    jordimex

Been to the Eye Dr today trying to keep the replies update its about time I gave them a rest for a few hrs.

17. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    • How did the visit go? Hope everything went great

18. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    jordimex

It went OK a few problems to sort out the last Laser was the 14th Op/Laser getting used to it now.

Here is a scaled drawing for you to try.

First thing empty place the foam sheeting leaving a gap all around then clean inside the tank perfectly.
    Next step mark where the stones are going then check and recheck.
    Place the stones in position and post a photo before you do any thing else.
    I have never tackled what many might call very close to an Iwagumi and not a "Like" or my "Version" Its either an Iwagumi or not, I call the rest a rocky Aquascape

This was posted today on another forum. A two stone Aquascape I saw it after I finished my drawing this morning. I am commenting on it at all. Its to show you what can be done so simply yet very effective.
    Iwagumi%20Jzhang%2013.7.17.

Here is your drawing I will explain every thing under the photo
    GBG%20Iwagumi%2013.7.17.

Working from the LH end
    The centre of the stone mark on the foam.
    1/3rd from the left and 2/3rds back this is where the big stone is going.
    Trace around the base on a separate piece of paper and cut it out. It will be a lot easier to get the best view from the front when doing this. Draw around the piece of paper. Also do the same with the other rock.
    Once you have worked the best position place rock on the drawing.
    The second rock is 1/3rd in from the RH front and end. Repeat as the main rock.

Next step is the most important (DO NOTHING) take a few photos and post them please every must be perfect before the substrate is added if not its a remove all the substrate and start over again

You will see on the drawing FP that is the perfect Focal Points.

19. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    glad to hear everything went ok Keith i have the foam right here with me although i didnt really understand what you want me to do with it, i think I'm lost with the translation of what I'm supposed to do

20. jordimex

jordimex Member

Address:
    United States
    although from reading your iwagumi articles i thought it said that it has to be an odd number of rocks
    will a two stone iwagumi work? thats the reason i bought the three rocks