1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twisty wood island - views

Discussion in 'Aquarium & Aquascaping General Discussion' started by aibcarpentry, Dec 28, 2017.

1. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I have posted this on another forum but Keith has invited me over here so please have a look and a read then give me your thoughts.
    Cheers
    Andrew

So my plan is to fix the wood to a piece of slate with some fish safe silicone and stainless steel screws from underneath purely for stability.
    The first pictures show the arrangement in my 900 aquarium as I am still waiting on the 600 to arrive then later it show the arrangement in a mock tank - the black line showing the height. You might also notice in the earlier pictures there is one less piece of wood.
    I have not finalised the positions of the wood but it is just to get an idea, I still need to finish cutting and sanding the wood but this is just to give me an idea before I go any further.
    Do people think I need more wood?
    I plan to put a layer of aquasoil down then a layer of pebbles on top all over. I might slope it slightly towards the back I might slope it inwards in an island type fashion, this I have yet to decide.
    I also need to sort through the stones taking out the colours I don't like and I have some varying sizes to add in to make things look a bit more natural.
    I'm thinking I will mainly plant buces, maybe some anubias on the branches and if I think it needs it either some more on a rock or 2 on the base or find a plant or 2 I think goes well to utilise the aquasoil.

What are peoples thoughts and opinions so far?
    20171217_124136. 20171217_124140. 20171217_130034. 20171217_130041. 20171217_133036. 20171218_121152. 20171218_121211. 20171218_121236. 20171218_121241. 20171218_121536. 20171228_135530. 20171228_135537. 20171228_135541. 20171228_135552. 20171228_135556.

Attached Files:

TimHarrison and Keith like this.
  2. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

I like the Mock tank it looks very strong. The only comment I can make would be the front piece would be better if was a clear plastic, reason being so the depth of the substrate at the front can be seen. To get around it you could use a strip of coloured tape to show the front height of the substrate.

Is this the Substrate you are going to use? If so it might not be easy to grow rooted plants.

Next step get your Substrate height and see which looks best. My suggestion would be lay one level add you wood take a photo check photo and lay a different level more photos. Try as many levels as possible to see what you like best.

You can have the DW in different positions as well now that gives you a big variety to choose from then we can work from that.

I will be better if you work very slowly remember STRESS is not permitted on GBG.

upload_2017-12-29_14-44-8.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

3. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    nowhere local to source any, I can live with a piece of ply and removing/lowering it if and when needed - it's only temporary afterall

I plan to put a normal layer of ADA aquasoil down and cap it with a thin layer of the pebbles; just an aesthetic covering really.

I'm going to have a toy around with the wood first and get the bits trimmed off I want to, flat cuts for the base and give it a sand over then I will have a play with the levels and positions. I did quite like the flatter look I saw with pebbles but I may change my mind - I'm also unsure if I slope it too much that the pebbles will stay in place.

Haha, I'm in no rush and have taken note. Cheers Keith

moss-maniac and Keith like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

Now you are thinking of what and how you are going to do the next few steps. That is great. Only concern would be cutting the DW one big tip would be "Think twice and think again before you cut as its rather hard to put back together.

5. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Oh I know this - measure twice cut once.
    Although I did cut a piece of beech I had very wrong when not thinking.

6. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

It can be rejoined if required its not as hard as it sounds, you just have to know how to do it correctly other wise it will not join up cleanly.
    654920107_tp.
    Its called a "Double ended screw" but as its in an Aquarium it must be made from a high quality SS.

7. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    It's far too late to save the other piece but thanks.
    A4 stainless steel instead of A2 I believe.

Keith likes this.
  8. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

Its a new year and a complete new start for your soon to be the best Aquascape you can possibly do.

9. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    I have trimmed the bottoms, temporarily fixed it to the piece of slate and just put a layer of stones/pebbles around the whole lot to give an idea of height, the black pen line is the top of the tank.
    I'm thinking the whole arrangement needs turning clockwise a little, maybe the piece then in the back left corner wants a little more angle on it?
    What does everyone else think? - Any other ideas?
    Andrew

20180103_133748. 20180103_133753. 20180103_133824.

10. Keith

Keith Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Andrew

You are well on the way to create an Aquascape you never thought possible.

When are your rocks arriving?

While we are working on this you can start thinking about the planting you would like to do and I know Tim will be a great help to you.

Now you are seeing why I am always recommending the Mock Tank.

11. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Address:
    United Kingdom
    My rocks which are mainly for the other tank and include the monster should be here today.

I intend to sit down and go through his Buce tank thread in a bit more detail but I think this will be my main plant type hence the amount of wood, I want to avoid moss so what ideas do people have about other plants that can go into the substrate? I might also add some anubias if I can choose some smaller ones I like.

TimHarrison likes this.