1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome, wabisabi

Discussion in 'New Members Introductions' started by Jason King, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Jason King

Jason King Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi wabisabi,

Welcome to Glass Box Gardeners.

Please tell us about yourself. We are interested to know what type of tank/s you keep or would like to keep eg Aquariums, Terrariums etc?

How did you find Glass Box Gardeners Forums? Via Google? Link?

Enjoy your stay

2. wabisabi

wabisabi New Member

Address:
    United States
    I am an enrichment teacher for children aged 2 thru 12. My aquatic and semi-aquatic experiences are a knowledge base for teaching . . . my classroom has a small planted tank and a dwarf puffer named Titan, he promptly ate the shrimp and wiped out any and all snails . . . he's a machine ;)

At home, I have 5 nano planted aquariums right now. I have 4 additional tanks, that will be used to replace/upgrade 4 that are currently setup. One houses a Blue Veil Tail Betta named: 青ドラゴン 魚 (Blue Dragon Fish). Another houses a small school of wild green neons - a terra-cotta planter experimental tank. Still another houses a few blue velvet shrimp and ostracods. I am preparing to replace two of my tanks with larger tanks . . . just waiting on the stone to come in.

I like Bucephalandra, Crypt. Spiralis and Retrospiralis plants ... I cannot seem to get Wendtii or Parva to grow for me ... I have some Hudori, Petchii/Becketii, Leganandra, and Pontederiifolia for the new tanks ... I am vastly more interested in planting and the scapes than the fish. I lean more toward biotope tanks - with a bent toward blackwater and botanicals (leaf, stems, pods, and such). I've been converting a number of plants and moss over - to emersion growth - I really love the color differences between these and their submersed forms.

I've made kokedama and am preparing to turn my old Fluval Chi aquariums into glass box planters - a wabi-kusa/riparium approach. Using plants like Acorus and Zephyranthes along with Tripartita and Cardinalis. I like to think of these projects as experiments - tools for learning and teaching.

As for what draws me here, I think it might have been a post or two that I've read here -- and the prevailing thought that I had something useful to contribute to the conversation.

#2 wabisabi, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    moss-maniac and TimHarrison like this.
  3. Keith

Keith Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Address:
    Australia
    Hello wabisabi

A big welcome to GBG.
    http://netanational.org/whatisenrichmentteaching.html

Is this what you are teaching? In my state Victoria Aust it would be simply called "After School Care" I have done a little of that with a few students in my trade shop. Then we have the School Holidays for the students whose parents are working that was great fun.

Keith:cathug::cathug:

4. TimHarrison

TimHarrison Super Moderator
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Address:
    United Kingdom
    Hi wabisabi, welcome to GBG :)

Keith likes this.